3.55 or 3.73?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a fairly stock 2010 GT 5-speed right now with the staggered Bullitt/Mickey Thompson tire set-up from American Muscle. I love the look, handling and traction. I find that I don't even want to bother with first gear many times - unless I'm on an incline. I don't know if that is bad, but most of the time. Anyone else skip first?

Also - if I'm just cruising around, I find after first gear, I can upshift without the clutch. It sounds like it's a terrible idea, but it doesn't seem to harm anything. Any transmission guys out there have any thoughts?
dude... never skip first, much harder on the clutch

I have a 775 whp car, 500 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm and I always use first

rev matching and shifting without the clutch is fine as long as you're going into gear smoothly and without grinding.

Last edited:

RoushStage_3

Reaction score
I have a fairly stock 2010 GT 5-speed right now with the staggered Bullitt/Mickey Thompson tire set-up from American Muscle. I love the look, handling and traction. I find that I don't even want to bother with first gear many times - unless I'm on an incline. I don't know if that is bad, but most of the time. Anyone else skip first?

Also - if I'm just cruising around, I find after first gear, I can upshift without the clutch. It sounds like it's a terrible idea, but it doesn't seem to harm anything. Any transmission guys out there have any thoughts?

Why risk skipping first and shifting without a clutch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hi Gang! Just need some help/opinions with deciding on which rear gear would be best for my below application....3.55's or 3.73's? I currently have 4.10's in there which were installed pre-supercharger era lol but now feels too much for the street I find.

A little background.... I have a 2005 Mustang GT convertible with an intercooled Whipple supercharger/Steeda 10-Rib pulley set-up pushing out 525hp at the rear wheels and 485ft/lbs. Full suspension, Brembo Big brake kit, stock 5spd. transmission with Exedy Mach 500 stage-3 clutch, and all the other normal bolt on goodies.....

With my Engine HP output and transmission what would you guys choose? This is a daily summer driver only and doesn't see the track.

Thanks,

Steve
Like you, I also had 4:10's, but with a Saleen VI supercharger, 4:10's were a bit too much for the street for my liking so after countless hours of research and debate between going back to stock 3:55's vs 3:73's, I made the decision to go back to stock 3:55's. Unless your car is N/A or ran at the track? only then would I consider making the swap to 4:10 gear ratio, otherwise if running forced induction, you'll find the stock 3:55's more than adequate enough for your particular application, especially when it comes down to street usage.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Like you, I also had 4:10's, but with a Saleen VI supercharger, 4:10's were a bit too much for the street for my liking so after countless hours of research and debate between going back to stock 3:55's vs 3:73's, I made the decision to go back to stock 3:55's. Unless your car is N/A or ran at the track? only then would I consider making the swap to 4:10 gear ratio, otherwise if running forced induction, you'll find the stock 3:55's more than adequate enough for your particular application, especially when it comes down to street usage.

To each his own . . . 3:55 in the 3650 is great for 1st. But, even with a blower, 2nd and 3rd feel too long. I find that MORE the case for street driving, as normal street driving has you sometimes looking to goose the throttle from lower RPMs when already in 2nd/3rd.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
To each his own . . . 3:55 in the 3650 is great for 1st. But, even with a blower, 2nd and 3rd feel too long. I find that MORE the case for street driving, as normal street driving has you sometimes looking to goose the throttle from lower RPMs when already in 2nd/3rd.
Agreed, to each his own. I was just pointing out to the OP my experiences between going from 4:10 to either 3:73 or 3:55. Personally, IMHO there really isn't that much difference between 3:73 over 3:55 to begin with anyhow, which is the reason that most upgrade from 3:55 to 4:10 rather than 3:73. Anyhow, just saying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back