326 stroker firing soon I need some tranny/clutch advise

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Im stuck on what to do tranny/clutch wise and really want to make the right choices. Im going to give out a couple scenarios and maybe you've got some educated ideas of your own. Motor will be making smoke very soon.
I probably know the right answer I just can't make up my mind...WHAT WOULD YOU DO??

I only get paid once a month and can swing about 1500 a month to put towards the car

Incase your not familiar with my build...

326 stroker (iron boss block) Built to handle 1000+whp, 10.5 compression with E85 in mind
big cnc ported heads with +1 intake valves manley springs and retainers
custom turbo grind cams
ON3 Turbo kit (70mm MP turbo)
Stock rearend, driveshaft, 3650 and clutch
405 pump with 39 injectors

Scenario 1... leave all stock driveline and only run 6-8 lbs so I can enjoy the car the rest of the summer since its been down all year. This will allow me to break the motor in and start saving up on the good stuff. most likely beefing up the rear end during this process since I will be in there for a gear swap anyways...I will have to purchase a clutch though due to the 8bolt crank right? If I do I will just find a cheap one that can handle 500whp/500tq as it will most likely not switch over to an upgraded tranny down the road.

Scenerio 2... Upgrade the input shaft to a 26 spline in the 3650, buy an RXT so it will switch over to the Magnum XL or 6060 later down the road...That would work right or is the Magnums input shaft a larger diameter?

Scenerio 3... leave the car on jack stands and not even fire the motor untill upgraded driveline is purchased no matter how long it takes me... would absolutely kill me to do this...

I will also be upgrading the fuel system to a return style system with E85 in mind to support some big power... So I also have that to throw in the scenarios as well.. ($2500)

And will also need to upgrade the turbo as well later...

Lots of shit running through my mind now that the motor is almost built and paid for....over 10k in this alone:omfg:

So I need some advice or just tell me what you would do... I cant make up my mind:thud:

Thanks in advance....

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation but my motor is not done. As of now, I'm driving around with a stock motor, on3 kit at 9psi and a stock tr 3650 with a Exedy 400 clutch. I'm prob going save my money till I get my tr6060 before I actually build the motor (I have a spare motor, forged internals, & a forged crank sitting in the garage).

I would recommend driving at low boost till you get everything you need. That way you can break in your motor and drive the dam thing.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Scenario 1... leave all stock driveline and only run 6-8 lbs so I can enjoy the car the rest of the summer since its been down all year. This will allow me to break the motor in and start saving up on the good stuff. most likely beefing up the rear end during this process since I will be in there for a gear swap anyways...I will have to purchase a clutch though due to the 8bolt crank right? If I do I will just find a cheap one that can handle 500whp/500tq as it will most likely not switch over to an upgraded tranny down the road.

Not necessarily. You need a new flywheel though. Depending on the condition of your current clutch, it might be just fine for now. The stock clutch is quite robust.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you a couple months ago, built motor f1a at 20 psi e85. When the motor was going back in I threw in a spec 3+ clutch and a steel flywheel, my rear end is stock minus the 4.10's. It made 700 rwhp and so far everything is holding up fine minus the rear end its got some play in it now, I figured I could beef up the rest of it in the winter so I can at least enjoy my car.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was in the same situation as you a couple months ago, built motor f1a at 20 psi e85. When the motor was going back in I threw in a spec 3+ clutch and a steel flywheel, my rear end is stock minus the 4.10's. It made 700 rwhp and so far everything is holding up fine minus the rear end its got some play in it now, I figured I could beef up the rest of it in the winter so I can at least enjoy my car.

Stock rear end, nice. I chipped my spider gears with basic bolts on and blew up my Eaton with my DR & Turbo setup.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would get the new motor in there with the new flywheel and clutch and start enjoying the car. I wouldn't use an old clutch on a new flywheel, thats just me. All other upgrades can be done without pulling the motor.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
I have a used 8 bolt steel flywheel... how about the old clutch and used 8bolt flywheel... Ill just hit the flywheel with a DA to put a fresh surface on it... that way I wont be waisting any money on a clutch that wont transfer over to a new tranny...

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I didn't wait with my engine. Threw it in with the stock 3650 and rearend behind it thinking I would just take it is. I have now been beating on it at 19 lbs with the numbers in my sig on DRs. Tranny is starting to get really hard to get into 3rd, so it will get swapped out this winter.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
You can do a 6060 swap for just about the same money as buying an upgraded 3650. Keep that in mind the next time you think about changing the input shaft.

If you can swing it do the 6060 swap right now. Keep your eyes peeled for one to come up on a forum or on ebay. You can also call Lapoint auto recyclers and see what they are charging for them. At one time they were selling 6060 transmissions for $1300. The crossmember and shifter can be bought for a little over $100. I was able to use my 3650 aluminum driveshaft with the 6060.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
I say just run the used flywheel with your current clutch. Just have it resurfaced. Don't put money into the 3650 if you don't have to, since you want to upgrade trannies anyways.

Keep boost low to moderate and drive it till you can upgrade.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't wait with my engine. Threw it in with the stock 3650 and rearend behind it thinking I would just take it is. I have now been beating on it at 19 lbs with the numbers in my sig on DRs. Tranny is starting to get really hard to get into 3rd, so it will get swapped out this winter.

My 3rd is really hard to get into also like really hard, what tranny u goin with? I'm prolly goin with a 4r70w with a manuel valve body and trans brake

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see updates! :)

Hit me up if you need clutch or flywheel, we are Mcleod Dealer!

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation as you and I just decided the jeep the stock 3650 as is and bought a 8 bolt flywheel and 10 spline clutch because I'm not going to track the car. The stock trans should hold up just fine for at least a year or two ( maybe longer )on the street and ill go the a 6060 once it breaks.

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.... Silverpoison I am actually a rep for McCleod here in the Midwest so I think I am set there... Even with the nice discount I get it looks like I wont be buying a clutch until the new tranny setup...

I think the stock driveline is going to have to make it until winter... then come out with a beast of a car next spring and hurt a bunch of peoples feelings in a 3V.. might even make a TX2K14 appearance...

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
#1. Enjoy your car while the weather is nice. Save your money and spend the winter modding. Enjoy your 326. I know what it's like to have to wait on stuff. I'm just dying to dump the M90 on my 326 for a TVS but can't afford it till next year. I'm going to see how long the Exedy Mach 500 will hold the new power. When it starts to give then I will do the Magnum XL with a McLeod. These engines are torquey as hell. Your gonna love it man.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
how many pounds of boost is the number in your sig timmbo?

A very sad 5 psi with this little M90. Brenspeed is getting 630 rwhp 628 TQ with the TVS HO kit and a 10% overdrive pulley on this motor using 93 octane. I think with a 15% overdrive I can hit 650 which is my end goal as a reliable street car running 93.

What is your ultimate power goal?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
if you wont have the money to go to a tr6060, i would put the 3650 back in and spend as little as possible on it.....no upgrades at all, find a used flywheel.

save your cash for the tr6060 and mcleod

Dark_horse

forum member
Reaction score
A very sad 5 psi with this little M90. Brenspeed is getting 630 rwhp 628 TQ with the TVS HO kit and a 10% overdrive pulley on this motor using 93 octane. I think with a 15% overdrive I can hit 650 which is my end goal as a reliable street car running 93.

What is your ultimate power goal?

Once I make the switch to E85 I think 750-800 will be achieved very easily on reasonable amount of boost.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
^^Count me in a sub'd for the build. That's gonna be awesome!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back