Transmission Options, and secondarily, Clutch Recommendations

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
After adding a few horsepower and a lot more boost on the way, I need to start thinking about a transmission upgrade. Built engine and driveline sandwiching a stock trans with 75000 miles isn’t going to end well. Obvious swap is the Magnum, but I don’t really NEED that 6th gear. It is pretty much plug n play though, huge plus.

I did discover that Tremec makes the TKX 5-speed that weighs less and can handle 600ft/lbs of torque. Now, it’s a bit cheaper as well, but looks like it would need a basket of additional parts and labor to get it to work right, probably more than offsetting the cost. And let’s be honest, 30lbs difference ain’t much, I can just go on a diet.

Any feedback or opinions, or even other options welcome.

And related to that, I’ll need a new 26-spline clutch. I currently have a RAM twin disc, that I like, but honestly have used nothing else for comparison

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
When I had my Bullitt I did the Tremec T56XL swap and it was awesome. I can't remember the clutch I bought but it will come to me and I'll update this thread when I recall. But it had a super light pedal and gripped great at the drag strip.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
When I had my Bullitt I did the Tremec T56XL swap and it was awesome. I can't remember the clutch I bought but it will come to me and I'll update this thread when I recall. But it had a super light pedal and gripped great at the drag strip.
That’d be great, thanks! What else did you need to complete the t56 swap? Was it pretty much bolt in and go?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
The T56 Mag XL is a drop in match for your 2010 GT. I purchased my kit from Silver Sport Transmission. The kit came with a steel SFI rated bell house, crossmember and aluminum driveline. The speedo connection and backup light switch plug right in to the 2010. The XL housing puts the shifter in the correct location without having goofy linkage. I don’t know if the TKX has the shift linkage in a Mustang friendly location. I am very happy with the McLeod twin disc clutch and I beat the hell out of it. All the time!

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
McLeod RXT clutch on a McLeod steel flywheel with stock type throwout Unit. Check and adjust the throwout bearing preload as required.
Requested a quote from SST this morning and they just sent over an invoice including everything needed for the install. Only $5660 delivered. Add on $1250 for the clutch and flywheel, plus labor. Love this hobby

How am I gonna hide this from my wife? Honestly, if I can break this stock trans without hurting anything else, it has to get fixed, right?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
McLeod has the RXT and I believe the RST twin disc clutches. The RXT is carbon fiber or something for more heat and power, but the RST is a little more user friendly. I had 643HP to the rear wheels in my Bullitt and was extremely pleased with the RST. And it had perfect street manners.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Requested a quote from SST this morning and they just sent over an invoice including everything needed for the install. Only $5660 delivered. Add on $1250 for the clutch and flywheel, plus labor. Love this hobby

How am I gonna hide this from my wife? Honestly, if I can break this stock trans without hurting anything else, it has to get fixed, right?
A 6k clutch drop on sticky tires will take care of the trans and driveshaft lol.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
McLeod has the RXT and I believe the RST twin disc clutches. The RXT is carbon fiber or something for more heat and power, but the RST is a little more user friendly. I had 643HP to the rear wheels in my Bullitt and was extremely pleased with the RST. And it had perfect street manners.
Researched them a little bit, the rxt is ceramic and more resilient to heat. Let it cool off and it’s good as new. The rst is a good clutch, but uses organic material that isn’t so forgiving. Just based off my driving style, and the occasional autoX/hdpe days, I think the rxt is the “safer“ option
A 6k clutch drop on sticky tires will take care of the trans and driveshaft lol.
Reading my mind

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Reading my mind
The only other thing that comes to mind is the T56 Mag XL comes with an electric solenoid reverse lockout. You can overcome the spring pressure of the lockout but it is quite stiff. I added a normally open button to my shift handle and used the accessory power in the console to power the solenoid. Easy to do.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back