5R55S Transmission Troubles !

07 Boss

Reaction score
What did the local guy do to the Level 10 unit?

Actually not much more than replace the clutch bands and popped in a solenoid pack. He said servo bores and just needed a freshening up. He said Level 10 did a pretty decent job with modifying all the weak spots. He said the issue is that you can only put a limited number of heavy duty parts in there because of the size. He replaced my bands with Koleen steel ones. Alto Reds which I think are probably one of the best for street/strip applications. The Alto Blue ones are more for a track oriented car. Or the Z Pack clutches from Raybestos would be another one of my options.

2005_Ragtop

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to this site and working on an '05 GT.
I'm about to have L10 do a 5R55 for me over the next couple of weeks. On their web page, it says their bullet proof up to 1000 HP is what is presented. After talking to them, and getting some details, the price mentioned ($4,498) there is not rated at 1K, but 500 hp with no core. I said I'm looking to do 550 to 600 WHP and 480 to 530 WTQ with a K-B supercharger. What I would like to know, if you can say, is what upgrade rating did you have them do?
I do not plan to do much strip, but will do some, and would would like get a better idea of what to expect. Thought about a 6R80 conversion, but too much to deal with, and Kenne Bell tech lead said that would be a 'tough road to hoe' if I proceeded that way.
Thanks for anything you can say.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well the parts that failed on my Level 10 were the clutches. Ask of Alto Reds or Raybestos Z-Pack clutches.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I am on my third transmission. Granted I drive her like a red headed step child but these transmissions can only be built to a certain point. At my power levels failure is inevitable. Adding the kolene steel clutches and upping the transmission pressure in the tune will probably be the most useful upgrades. There are additional upgrades you can make to the servo bores and such but I think the major weak points have been covered.

Points well taken. When I had Justin at VMP tune the eng, he also tweaked the tune for the 5r55s. He also unlocked a bunch of parameters in my X3. With a PD blower in the mix, the shifts HAVE to be firmer and also faster, or the poor 5r55s won't last. He tweaked the rev limiter for 6500 rpm. I have since reduced the rev limiter down to the oem 6250 rpm. On my X3, I can also tweak the shift points +/- a bit. IE: rpm at when the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, 3-4 shift, and 4-5 shifts occur. I backed the 3-4 shift down a tiny bit.

On the 5r55s, what you want to avoid like the plague is a 5-3 shift, a 5-2 shift, and a 4-2 shift.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Points well taken. When I had Justin at VMP tune the eng, he also tweaked the tune for the 5r55s. He also unlocked a bunch of parameters in my X3. With a PD blower in the mix, the shifts HAVE to be firmer and also faster, or the poor 5r55s won't last. He tweaked the rev limiter for 6500 rpm. I have since reduced the rev limiter down to the oem 6250 rpm. On my X3, I can also tweak the shift points +/- a bit. IE: rpm at when the 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, 3-4 shift, and 4-5 shifts occur. I backed the 3-4 shift down a tiny bit.

On the 5r55s, what you want to avoid like the plague is a 5-3 shift, a 5-2 shift, and a 4-2 shift.

I tend to shift manually 90% of the time but I do have my shift points set off of rpm/speed. There is some overlap when downshifting in auto mode but I have learned to depress the throttle almost all the way down and get it to downshift one gear before going to full throttle. This prevents the two gear downshift for me.

I have my shift points set at about every 15 mph under light to moderate throttle with OD kicking in at 70 . After that it ramps up pretty linearly until full throttle and redline (6200).

Mustang Wayne

Reaction score
I have a Circle D Triple Disk 3000rpm TC, servos, catch can and 18 quarts of transmission fluid
that I had for my whippled '07 and never got installed and I need to get them out of my garage.
Advise if you still have any of the above items and how much you want. Thanks.

KLJ777

Reaction score
Update.
I am hoping to FINALLY get my Mustang back this week. She went down in May and it will be September before I get her back. 4 mos !! I had my core shipped to L10 and they put together a package rated for 750. just over 6K with shipping. Have moved since the repairs started and will now also have to pay for towing (150mi) on top of the R&R. I will let you know how she runs. Not one of Blue Ovals best days for me :-(

KLJ777

Reaction score
Update. Got the girl back today and drove her the 125 miles home. Did well but I am not thrilled with shift points. Note that Level 10 did have the car and I don't believe they do programming. I will work with my tuner and see what the can do remote. My installer (not L10 but a performance tranny shop) said the 5R55 is going to fail again if I keep taking her to the track. I may have to take some time off racing :-( She is my pride and joy and I dont want to sell her and get a different one, so I am stuck with the 5R55 for now.

Back