5R55S Transmission Troubles !

KLJ777

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2006 Mustang GT, fairly stout, puts 500 to the rear wheels, do about 2K miles a year on her and hit the strip (high 11's) about 4-6 times a year. Had my Trans rebuilt by a reputable shop about 3 years ago so about 6K miles since rebuild. I notice now she hesitates between R and D, and I hear what sounds like pump noise. Any others out there with tranny woes, any suggestions for an upgrade?

Thanks,
Kevin

Laga

Reaction score
The hesitation between R and D can be the solenoid pack. Mine did the same thing. They are about $140. I changed mine myself, but it was a bitch. The debris in the pan could be a whole other problem.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
500 hp on a 5R55S is more than a bunch. Is it oem, or the aftermarket built version ?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've changed out the solenoid block on explorers before but haven't on a mustang. It is something you can do in a half day or so.

Laga

Reaction score
Yeah, it’s just very tight and you have to work by feel. Would definitely help if you remove trans mount and lower back of trans. I chose not to. I had to cut down a ratcheting box end wrench to fit. You have to remove the shifter cable and then there’s one bolt that holds it in on top of the block.

KLJ777

Reaction score
So solenoid pack, input shaft, and clutches were all upgraded as part of the rebuild.
She is a grocery getter and I would like to keep some street manners. Dont want to have to go to a pure drag tranny :-(

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try adding a bit of fluid first, it may have puked some out of the vent at some point.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
On my 2010 GT auto,(5r55s) I installed the JDM engineering catch can for the 5r55s, or it will puke out ATF all over the ground. Also added the PA deeper pan, which allows for another 4 qts of ATF. The PA deeper pan also has a locking style dipstick, that comes out next to the firewall, on pass side. The opening on the dipstick is big enough to put a funnel on it, to add ATF, if required. The deeper pan also comes with a drain plug. Then had to add a B+M auto tranny cooler (bar+ plate type) in series with the oem tranny cooler. Then replaced the ATF with 100% synthetic.

Before the mods, it would go from 170 degs F to 200 degs F in mere seconds, on the hwy, with gas mashed, and blower on. Now it goes from 170F to 171F..and sometimes 172 F.

I only have 386 rwhp / 370rwtq ...on the dyno. Before the blower install, it was 255rwhp / 260rwtq .

I can't see an oem 5r55s surviving 500rwhp.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I am on my third transmission. Granted I drive her like a red headed step child but these transmissions can only be built to a certain point. At my power levels failure is inevitable. Adding the kolene steel clutches and upping the transmission pressure in the tune will probably be the most useful upgrades. There are additional upgrades you can make to the servo bores and such but I think the major weak points have been covered.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I am on my third transmission. Granted I drive her like a red headed step child but these transmissions can only be built to a certain point. At my power levels failure is inevitable. Adding the kolene steel clutches and upping the transmission pressure in the tune will probably be the most useful upgrades. There are additional upgrades you can make to the servo bores and such but I think the major weak points have been covered.
How much rwhp / rwtq do you have ? Yes, with the 5r55s and a blower, the shifts have to be firmer..and faster, or it won't last very long. That's 'fixed' in the tune. VMP tuned mine, and also did the 5r55s portion of the tune.

07 Boss

Reaction score
How much rwhp / rwtq do you have ? Yes, with the 5r55s and a blower, the shifts have to be firmer..and faster, or it won't last very long. That's 'fixed' in the tune. VMP tuned mine, and also did the 5r55s portion of the tune.

485/460. Yes, transmission tuning is a must with a blower or it will not last.

wht67

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Circle D Triple Disk 3000rpm TC, servos, catch can and 18 quarts of transmission fluid
that I had for my whippled '07 and never got installed and I need to get them out of my garage.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Personally I haven't had good luck with that company. Never ran one of their transmissions but ballooned 3 of their convertors before I got fed up with them.

I bought a level 10 "Bulletproof" transmission and it lasted about 3 years of street and racing abuse before I had to rebuild her. Then I had it done locally by a good tranny shop and haven't had any issues since.

KLJ777

Reaction score
Good to know and thanks for the info. They had a cool manual shifter for 2005 to 2010 and discontinued it. I asked why never heard back. poor customer service at least. My girl is at the tranny shop to see if they can see what failed. I will keep you all posted.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back