5R55S Tuner Suggestions?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
You also have the larger pan cooling effect, bigger heat-sink like action...

Trans coolers IN rad are side, older ones are at the bottom. None may
be available as OE, but you can put in if you really wanted to.

You only need enough to keep at 170, and not much higher that 178.

IT takes longer for the trans to heat up with just an aux cooler, that can also
be detrimental. That's why they have a pressure bypass valve that's open
till the fluid warms up.

Just ad another cooler to the one that's there, or get a bigger one. I will
always stick with the in rad, then to cooler design. I never had a trans failure,
so apparently what I do, works. Do what you want to your own vehicle, we
all have our opinions. I stick with what has been working. If I find a rad I
can put in with a trans cooler, it's going in.

How can you overheat a 5r55s, when your 2008 is just a NA 210 crank hp V6, 4.0 eng ? The 4.6 V8, with small pd blower, is typ 482-500 crank hp. That's a whopping 250% increase. I tried every trick in the book a month ago... and still couldn't get the atf above 173 F. But I'm not on a road course running wot for 25 mins on a hot day.

See jj427r's post #16. He gets 3 x 25 min sessions in, then the 250F tranny overheating issues start up. I suspect the entire mess finally succumbs to massive heat soak. His 6 qts of eng oil are probably sitting at 300+ F. Then park in the sun, on a hot day for 1-1.5 hrs, with hood shut...and see what happens. The Roush intake manifold is made from AL, and also has a built in, integral eng coolant crossover built into it's leading edge.Running hot coolant through that crossover just cooks the AL manifold. Oem manifold is just the composite /plastic affair..with the long runners. M90 AL blower casing runs hot..sits on top of roush AL manifold. Park car for 1 hr....and the blower casing is now burning hot, ditto with manifold, al heads..and al block. Heatsoaked.

Here's what I have jammed in there. Roush 18" tall x 21" wide HE...on spacer's at very front, gets hit with air from both upper + lower grilles. Oem pwr steering circular rad behind roush HE...at bottom...tight fit.
Oem AC rad behind pwr steering rad.
Oem tranny rad ( + new B+M tranny cooler below oem tranny rad) behind AC rad.
Eng rad behind the pair of tranny coolers.
6 x rads in total.

jj427r had to cut part of his bumper, to get his 20.5 k btu tranny cooler to fit in front of roush he. One would have to cut a huge chunk of the bumper out. My roush he is jammed up against bumper as is. Hence my plan B..... installing aux tranny rad below oem tranny rad.

With rads stacked in front of more rads, the rear rads are not as effective. The oem upper grille on the 10-12 cars is not as tall as the 05-09 cars.... and is a fubar design..... 80% blocked off. So in goes the 7 bar upper grille.

Last edited:

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Never said I was overheating it, or it was overheating; you assumed that. I mentioned
where my temps were, did you read it? If you saw overheating in those numbers,
then tell me... Just saying... Been at this for 35+ years now, and as I said, it works
for me, so will KEEP on doing it.

With rads stacked in front of more rads, the rear rads are not as effective. The oem upper grille on the 10-12 cars is not as tall as the 05-09 cars.... and is a fubar design..... 80% blocked off. So in goes the 7 bar upper grille.
I see people here running around without the grilles on their 05-09s. Looks stupid...
I always shout, "Hey, I got a grille for sale!!!!"

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The 13/14 GT-500's don't even have an upper grille ! The 12/13 Boss 302 cars with the removable covers on the non existent upper grille foglamps didn't work very well. Even with the pair of large diam covers removed, still not enough airflow.... car goes into limp mode on a road course.... and that's NA / no blower. One fellow on S-197 posted they ripped the entire upper
grille out. Problem solved. He ended up installing the 7 bar grille..which also worked.

JJ427R has 2 x stangs. 2010..and also the 2018 track pack.... with the 10 speed auto. Car goes into limp mode after just a few laps on 1st session. NA / no blower. The IRS rear ends over heat... ditto with eng.....and auto tranny. A ton more coolers required..(per Ford in owners manual)... + probably an eng oil cooler. U can't win.

JJ427R

Reaction score
That's the scary thing about the 2018, it actually goes into limp mode to the point you can't do anything except steering and brakes, which on a track is a very dangerous thing to have happen.

In conversing with a gentleman on facebook he claims most of the issue with the 2018 going into limp mode is in fact the oil temp getting high, hence he installed a Setrab 9 Series 25 row cooler in front of radiator. He also runs Mobil 1 0-40 full synthetic oil per recommendation of well known racer Billy Johnson.

I believe that is only part of the problem as my trans got high in temp well before the engine did and was shifting itself oddly many laps before it went into limp mode. Gentleman I've been in contact with also had his trans swapped out at 7000 miles.

The combo of the trans temp, oil/engine temp, and rear end temps have me very leary of attempting another track day with this car.

Sorry to the OP we kinda hijacked his thread, I'm just trying to get others to avoid going down the same road I did....

Here is the 2018 going into limp mode at Road America, sad thing is I was eating up the other cars in my group...

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
The big difference is you are running a 1/4 mile at a time, you are not on it hard for 20-25 minutes straight. Also how much cool down time between runs? I ran at BIR Wed night drags and did 7 passes within a couple hours with no issue either. Usually at track days you get hour to an hour and a half for the car to cool down between sessions which surprisingly is not that long, especially on hot days. Road America is a 4 mile track, I usually get about 8 laps per session, that's 32 miles I'm running at a time and not a flat surface, RA you have hills to go up and down. You also get all the heat generated from the brakes and tires that add to this problem that you don't get on a drag strip or on the street.

I'm bracket racing so cool down times get progressively shorter as the night goes on....15 minutes the last few rounds. When the wind is calm and its humid (Maui air) the car hardly cools at all. Trans temp always are below 180'. Im more concerned with AIT. Obviously road course racing is totally different.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back