8.8 swap

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Are the pinion flanges for the GT and V6 different or is this going to be a direct swap? If they are different what flange do I need.

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
they are different.... you need an 03-04 cobra flange. your local dealer should be able to get it for you for about 40 bucks but there are places where you can get it for 25 or so.

try forced4motorsports @ http://www.forced4.com/v6store.html
the part you need the pinion flang about 3/4 way down the page.
good people dont a lot of buisness with them when i have the 4.0

not sure if any of the forum vendors here can hook you up or not.

48prerunner

forum member
Reaction score
When you swap flanges make sure you know what you are doing do it wrong and you can wipe out your rear, saw one where a guy snapped the pinion right off going down the road when it locked up.

here is a link to install cant find where they were having all the pinion problems
http://mustangcollective.com/showthread.php?t=4878

Last edited:

mattdriver12

Reaction score
newtakeoff.com has the 8.8 with different sets of gears already installed with the cobra flange

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
+1 on make sure the flange is installed properly. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Not as simple and removing the pinion nut and swapping the flange and putting the nut back on, although I'm sure people have done it that way and will say 'it worked out ok for me'.
Follow the proper procedures for preload and torquing and you'll be good to go. Or have a shop do it that KNOWS HOW TO SET PRELOAD on the 8.8s.

stang910

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I forgot about this thread after the first reply. I already have an 8.8 and I do all my own gears so I'm good to go.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back