A/F ratio gauge install question

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
I recently bought a air to fuel ratio gauge and I was wondering if anyone has installed it because im going to be using the roush vent pod thing and I was wonderign if there was a way to hardwire it to the car without an adapter or a buying a new sender unit
thanks!

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
If its a narrow band gauge it is borderline useless.
All you can use it for is tuning your idle and cruise, and thats assuming you want them at stoich (for emissions), if youre looking for mileage by running idle and cruise lean it is useless once again.

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
I know its borderline useless but I don't have the money for a 300$ wideband and it'll do till I buy one theni. Can just swap them out

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
It'll do? It'll do what?

If you mean It'll make a nice light show, then yes, it will do that.
Besides that, its useless, and extremely dangerous to use as a tuning tool.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know its borderline useless but I don't have the money for a 300$ wideband and it'll do till I buy one theni. Can just swap them out

The narrowband just taps the signal off the oem o2 sensor and like they said, its a light show that only really works at idle when the cars is warmed up. And tells you if you idle a/f is stoich, rich or lean.

A wideband uses its own sensor with alot better readings and scale and works while driving as well.

Thanks for advertising roper! :thumb2:

Last edited:

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
It'll do? It'll do what?

If you mean It'll make a nice light show, then yes, it will do that.
Besides that, its useless, and extremely dangerous to use as a tuning tool.

Okay, i didn't make the thread for you to correct what i said/ state the usefullness of my item i asked a question and i'd like it to be answer, let's try and keep it that way.

YellowRoush

forum member
Reaction score
The narrowband just taps the signal off the oem o2 sensor and like they said, its a light show that only really works at idle when the cars is warmed up. And tells you if you idle a/f is stoich, rich or lean.

A wideband uses its own sensor with alot better readings and scale and works while driving as well.

Thanks for advertising roper! :thumb2:

well if it's around two weeks from now, consider it mine :D

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, regardless, i wouldnt bother installing what you have, its not worth the trouble, i would try to sell it.

colorado pony

Reaction score
I recently bought a air to fuel ratio gauge and I was wondering if anyone has installed it because im going to be using the roush vent pod thing and I was wonderign if there was a way to hardwire it to the car without an adapter or a buying a new sender unit
thanks!

ok i have one installed..... it is alight show but it well tell you when you are too rich or too lean...... when the car is running it stay in the yellow..
i installed a seperate senor with the plan to get a wide band... like you said they are 300 dollars plus... hoping that they will come down in price or i find one on sale some day...... by the way it is an autometer guage.
you can wired it to the factory senor you need to go to ford for the right wire to hook to.... it not the best set up for a/f but it well show something if you have a problem.... lack of fuel or too much....
hope this help you out!

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
ok i have one installed..... it is alight show but it well tell you when you are too rich or too lean...... when the car is running it stay in the yellow..
i installed a seperate senor with the plan to get a wide band... like you said they are 300 dollars plus... hoping that they will come down in price or i find one on sale some day...... by the way it is an autometer guage.
you can wired it to the factory senor you need to go to ford for the right wire to hook to.... it not the best set up for a/f but it well show something if you have a problem.... lack of fuel or too much....
hope this help you out!

You can get a wideband for 180 bucks.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
LC1s can be had for cheap, sensors are cheap to, 80 bucks from a new VW beetle at your local parts store.
You can even use your narrowband guage as a wideband guage with an LC1, you just wont have a digital readout of that the AFR is, but at least youll get a real full sweep, not just slamming to full rich or full lean as soon as you get to one side or the other of 14.7:1.

I love my LC1, the only real problems come from getting USB to serial adapters to work with windows 7 or windows vista, I usually use an old laptop running XP as my tuning laptop. Besides that it is one of the most accurate W/B controllers made and its also one of the cheapest.
The AEM gauge is nice because its very user friendly for computer n00bs, but its also very, VERY slow. Ive used them for tuning before but its always a frustrating experience due to the lag. Also, theyre not quite as accurate as the LC1

Back