A little birdie led me here/ Bilsteins and HR spring install

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello all and Happy Easter, I guess I found the new corral so to speak. Just wanted to say hello.

To kick things off tech wise, over the weekend I finally installed the H&R sport springs, Bilstein shocks, GT500 rear LCA's, GT500 strut bearings, and stripped all the parts off the rear axle and gave it a nice coat of black rust killing paint to clean it up (what a difference, less rust is always good).

I only took the car for a short ride today being it is easter and all. But so far, the stance looks great, a nice mild 3/4" drop so far with the same rake. The ride is 10-15% stiffer around town with a lot less clunks in the suspension.

Things have to settle, but first impressions are that the car is handling better with less pitch and roll under accel and braking, less wheel hop.

But also, the suspension may have lost a little of its feel, and the car may have a bit more push on initial turn in. New springs and shocks are always a bit mushy and numb when new, I will report more when I get a better idea on my normal roads to work, etc. I just hope I am not feeling the progressive nature of the springs with the initial turn in feel. But the H&R sports are supposed to be stiffer than the eibach, so who knows.

Initial alignment looks good and within spec with a little more neg camber which is what I wanted. After car settles and I know I am keeping the setup as is, I will align it fully.

More thoughts and pics to come soon.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of many people with the H&R springs, even though they look like a great product. I like them because they don't drop the car too much and they keep the same stance. I'd like to hear someone who has purchased the Race springs...they have a tad more drop and are probably much stiffer. I'd either get the Sport or Race when it comes time to do the suspension.

Keep us posted. :)

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Someone over on one of the other forums bought the race springs with the bilsteins and feels he needs stiffer shocks. Bilstein claims that the shocks were designed to be a great street shock. But if you are looking for a track beast they may need to be re-valved.

To be honest, I am still processing this install. I expected a really stiff ride with improved handling. What I got was a slightly stiffer ride with I believe better handling. Time will tell. Initially I was disappointed but then I tossed the car into a couple corners and the car was just flat.

One thing is for certain, if I can accomplish the handling I want without the teeth rattling ride, I will be happy since this is my daily driver.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back