Want to return to original ride height - lowering kit removal

MrFast

Reaction score
I am a new member to the S197 Forum. Just picked up a 2006 GT with a few issues for a bargain price. Running rough and throwing P0300 / P0303 and more. ORIGINAL spark plugs. I managed to get them all out and now the car runs great. Whew! Could have been worse, but the gamble paid off. The odds where good.

Any case, the car has rather high end H&R performance lowering kit similar to this:
H&R performance
I want the car to return to the original ride height. It's too low for me, but might be great for someone else.
I am looking for suggestions for manufacturers or kits that could get me back to original-ish.

I guess if someone was willing to swap for OEM that would be okay, otherwise just buying new is the plan.

MrFast

07 Boss

Reaction score
To be honest I don't think I've ever seen a set of aftermarket springs that didn't lower the car a bit but I could be completely wrong. I would think that with a set of coil overs you could adjust the height pretty close to stock. You might want to give someone like BMR a call and see what they have to offer. I believe I still have a few sets of springs and might have the original stockers sitting around. I will take a look and see but you can have them if I do.

AHaze

Reaction score
Th H&R kit you linked is adjustable. Why not try spinning the collars all the way up before you decide you want to get rid of them? Says it goes as high as 1.2" lower than stock which is about the height that stock should have been IMO. If the bump stops are still the original red ones, swap them out for the softer '13-'14 GT500 yellow bump stops and the ride quality should be pretty reasonable at that ride height.

MrFast

Reaction score
Thanks AHaze. Yes, the collars are all the way up. The ride quality on the H&R setup I have is actually very good, I just want to get higher, so OEM height seems to be my goal. I am probably getting lots of folks reading this and saying keep it the way it is! Seems most folks want to get a bit lower then stock. I live near Watkins Glen International raceway and have been on the track several times (in different model cars) and for sure the H&R setup would work well.
Yeah, I will have to get original size bump stops also if I go back to stock height.
I'll send "07 Boss" a PM to see if he had any luck finding the OEM stuff.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have my stock front and rear suspension off my 2014 Mustang GT but I'm in Florida and the box is pretty heavy. I took it all off the first week I owned the car (less than 50 miles on it).

MrFast

Reaction score
Thanks skwerl. Based on my quick research, I don't think the 2014 stuff will fit my 2006 GT. I hope I am wrong, because I will be in central FL in Feb.

So, I have two centenders so far if I go new:
front: KYB SR4167 Strut Plus or Monroe Quick-Strut 172138
rear: MOOG spring set 81077

So, anyone have an opinion on KTB vs Monroe? Thanks.

BTW, I have clue how to PM folks on this site. Maybe it's reserved for folks that upgrade or most likely I'm inept.

GriffX

Reaction score
Ford changed the upper strut mount and the corresponding damper rod, that's all. You can mount them on the earlier models.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BTW, I have clue how to PM folks on this site. Maybe it's reserved for folks that upgrade or most likely I'm inept.
you're too new of a member to send PMs, it's an anti-spammer issue, as you season as a member you will get the PM privilege's.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks skwerl. Based on my quick research, I don't think the 2014 stuff will fit my 2006 GT. I hope I am wrong, because I will be in central FL in Feb.

So, I have two centenders so far if I go new:
front: KYB SR4167 Strut Plus or Monroe Quick-Strut 172138
rear: MOOG spring set 81077

So, anyone have an opinion on KTB vs Monroe? Thanks.

Hover over the member's avatar and a box will open. At the bottom left click 'start conversation'.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Not to “ block” Your spring sale but good to have options.

For $500:
05-10 Tokico HP Front Struts Assembly with GT500 springs, GT500 mounts, Moog Camber bolts and Ford Racing Bump Stops $300.00
05-14 GT500 rear coil springs $50.00
05-10 Tokico Rear Shocks D-Spec Adjustable $200.00

Pick them up in S. FL and I will buy you lunch. Lol

MrFast

Reaction score
Moooosestag and 07 Boss, as soon as I get the ability from the Administrator, I will PM you.

JC SSP, thanks for the info, but I think I'll pass on your stuff for now. Good luck.

MrFast

Reaction score
Folks, I wanted to follow up on my removal of the aftermarket performance lowering kit and conversion back to stock ride height. Personal preference is a hot rod look. I went a bit overboard and ended up replacing Rear springs and shocks plus front Struts (with springs) + sway bar links + Control Arms + Inner/Outer Tie rods. The car has 120k miles on it and I figure it could use some new hardware. Here is what I purchased for reference:

Amazon.com: Detroit Axle - Front Struts Coil Spring Sway Bar Links Rear Shock Absorbers Replacement for 2005-2010 Ford Mustang - 6pc Set : Automotive

Amazon.com: Detroit Axle - Front End 10pc Suspension Kit for 2005-2010 Ford Mustang 2006 2007 2008 2009, 2 Lower Control Arms + 2 Sway Bar Links + 4 Inner & Outer Tie Rods + 2 Boots, Replacement : Automotive

Maximum Motorsports Mustang Lower Strut Mounting Hardware MMF-3 (05-14 Mustang) - Free Shipping (americanmuscle.com)

Rear Springs and Shocks:

The rear was much easier than the front for conversion. It consisted of removal of the springs with level adjustors with installation of factory springs I purchased from a fellow S197 member. I decided to replace the shocks with Detroit Axel since the price good and reviews are no so bad. There are many "how to" videos and text documents that can guide you through this process in the web, which is kind of easy. The rear change took about 2hrs total.

Front Everything:

In general, you need to follow procedures that many folks on the web provide. I personally like the documentation and pictures that American Muscle provides. For example:

How to Install Ford Racing Front Lower Control Arms on Your 2005-2012 Mustang | AmericanMuscle

So, taking off the old ford parts was not so bad, but removal of the aftermarket strut to spindle bolts was horrible. Two of the four bolts had to be cut = this took a long time! In addition, the passenger side outer tie rod end bolt got seized on removal. Being hardened steel it could not be cut (by me). I ended up going through several vise grip tools before it breaking free. Best advice is to use the loosen/re-tighten method so the treads get easier to traverse. I believe I spent three 6hr work efforts over 3 days to complete the complete front end.

Very important: you will need to purchase new Strut to Spindle Bolts that are around $60/side on American Muscle. Also, all the Detroit Axel components are pre-greased except the ball joints. I had to drill my own holes to re-install the control arm heat shields (see picture). I know this write up is not really a "how to", but I just wanted to share.
20240416_110113.jpg
20240416_101832.jpg20240416_101852.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back