UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Yes, you are going to die. :evil:

Explosion20Photo.jpg

:roflmao:

RRRoamer

Reaction score
Traction control is a band-aid for the masses who drive along with their cell phone in their lap, texting and using their knee to steer. If you actually pay attention while driving your vehicle and are a reasonably skilled driver then you don't need it.

I sort of agree with you in spirit, but the computer will react THOUSANDS of times faster than us meat bags can. The brain is incredible in what it can do, but reacting to events in the microsecond (or even millisecond) time frame is NOT one of the things it can do.

And that applies to race drivers as well as us mortals. I remember a (illegal) test a NASCAR team did with traction control back in the early '90s. With the system enabled, they where 2 to 3 seconds per LAP faster than with it off. After running about 10 laps, the brought the car in and removed and destroyed the system as getting caught with it would mean being banned.

So even with drivers that are the best at what they do, with cars that are dialed into perfection for the specific road conditions and a driver that is 100% paying attention and focused, the computer is STILL able to do a better job as it can react so much fast than a person can.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You may be able to check continuity through or signal from the sensors with a digital voltmeter.

There may even be a way of producing the code on the dash by shorting the right two pins on the OBD connector. Both of those approaches worked for me on another car. While I can't guarantee success in your case, it's at least something to try. In case you missed it, that's pure tech intended to be helpful. The rest is up to you.

Your continually going to the gutter for things to say at me isn't helping your case. Should you decide to go through moderation, they might be interested to know just who threw the first stone.

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I sort of agree with you in spirit, but the computer will react THOUSANDS of times faster than us meat bags can. The brain is incredible in what it can do, but reacting to events in the microsecond (or even millisecond) time frame is NOT one of the things it can do.

And that applies to race drivers as well as us mortals. I remember a (illegal) test a NASCAR team did with traction control back in the early '90s. With the system enabled, they where 2 to 3 seconds per LAP faster than with it off. After running about 10 laps, the brought the car in and removed and destroyed the system as getting caught with it would mean being banned.

So even with drivers that are the best at what they do, with cars that are dialed into perfection for the specific road conditions and a driver that is 100% paying attention and focused, the computer is STILL able to do a better job as it can react so much fast than a person can.
Yes, electronics can make decisions far faster than us humans, but the appropriateness of whatever they do is only as good as the programming (by fallible humans, six sigma efforts notwithstanding) and the database behind it, and the corporate standards, directives. and preferences behind that.

Sometimes, what the electronics cause to happen is not necessarily appropriate, in which case it'll still do whatever it's been programmed to do.
In some situations - and this may very well include lost's experience - the electronics decide to do one thing while the driver is doing something else to get the situation under control. A double helping of corrections that each would be good enough by themselves is just as bad as the driver and the electronics having done nothing at all. Not counting lost, I've heard of two such incidents. One was only a pucker moment for the driver, the other involved some bent sheetmetal.

Track-only programming is far simpler than modeling daily driving. BMW has a road course "line teaching" development, which is fine within the limits of the track that it has been taught the line to follow (I believe its "tolerance" is somewhere within 1 meter). Expect it to fail miserably getting you from your house or hotel room TO the track.

Unfortunately, more and more people are willing to assume that the electronics are always going to be better then they, and that's a problem. The best ABS/TC/ESC systems in the world cannot yet look ahead down the road in real time and ANTICIPATE situations as they first begin to develop. There are efforts in this direction (Volvo that I know of), but they aren't ready for prime time.

Electronics at present can only react to a stiuation that's already headed south, and we can at least agree that they're faster if you start the clock at that point. But you can't get me to agree that they'll always make the right decision when the entirety of the situation is considered.

Norm

Last edited:

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Take it to advance or auto zone, they should have an abs reader to tell you which wheel it is.

Damn.. I called 6 shops from 3 different companies.. none had them to use and only one had it for sale.. $199

it looks like I will have to rape both sensor wires..

You may be able to check continuity through or signal from the sensors with a digital voltmeter.

There may even be a way of producing the code on the dash by shorting pins on the OBD connector. Both of those approaches worked for me on another car. While I can't guarantee success in your case, it's at least something to try. In case you missed it, that's pure tech intended to be helpful. The rest is up to you.

Your continually going to the gutter for things to say at me isn't helping your case. Should you decide to go through moderation, they might be interested to know just who threw the first stone.

Norm

I'm from the west side of Stockton, Ca.. we are the gutter. This might surprise you but.. thanks. I have a borrowed voltmeter already here. Now I have to find out what to look for.

I'm on babysitting duty today but tomorrow I should be able to squeeze under there

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Section 206-09 in the shop manual (at least that's where it is for 2008). There's an online version at some I think foreign iihs site that I can never remember all of.

Norm

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Section 206-09 in the shop manual (at least that's where it is for 2008). There's an online version at some I think foreign iihs site that I can never remember all of.

Norm

Bingo!

There looks like so many areas that could cause an issue.. I think Ill try to call around some repair shops to see if they have the scan tool and maybe ford..

Now you can hammer away on me. haha thanks

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Time to sell and buy a minivan. Safer and better fuel economy, even a nannie can handle one. :lol:

Too bad your not here, i could scan it for you.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Bingo!

There looks like so many areas that could cause an issue.. I think Ill try to call around some repair shops to see if they have the scan tool and maybe ford..
... thanks
If I were you and that $199 scanner can read more than just powertrain codes, I'd buy it, especially if it has enough of a display to show a brief code description instead of just the code itself. This and one or two more diagnostic sessions avoided will pay for it. And it'll probably be update-able - the Actron unit (9145 ?) I bought a few years ago is, and I probably should.

Now you can hammer away on me. haha
That play is over, the ball is dead and the whistle has blown. Making late hits isn't my thing.

Norm

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back