AEM Fail safe gauge

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Just got mine in the mail. Once programmed it will send out a ground signal that can be used to open or close a relay.

I have a few ideas on what i should do, not sure if anyone has messed with one of these yet?

1) I could cut power to my boost controller solenoid, but it would still run off the spring pressure of 9psi which may not be good.

2) install a relay inline with the oil pack power, to kill the coils,not fond of this but not sure of any other options

3) install a relay on one of the accessory feeds from the ignition switch that would cut the power like cutting the keyoff-probably best option

This thing looks pretty cool, it has a built in boost gauge that can also be datalogged, so i could remove my current 3bar map sensor if i wanted.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
You could throw a relay on the ignition coil power wire.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
THink about that...cutting ignition power or making the car die...when you're in it wot and probably well over 100 mph...do you really want no power steering under those conditions?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If that's the one I saw the video of it just cuts power for a second. They had it wired to the ECU. The car cut off for a second then came right back. But you knew to get your foot out of it.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
You could throw a relay on the ignition coil power wire.

I could, just didnt want to cut into that wire anymore with already having the WOTBOX on there,also didnt want to flood the engine with fuel while there was no spark

You could sell it and invest the money in two large plastic barrels with a hand pump.

Im looking for the E85 stations, was holding out for a little longer hopeing they would start popping up around me, i may have to get a barrell of it.

THink about that...cutting ignition power or making the car die...when you're in it wot and probably well over 100 mph...do you really want no power steering under those conditions?

The gauge has a lot of settings and one of them is how long you want the relay to be open for, 1,3,5 seconds, what ever i want. so im thinking it would be like if your running down the road and just turn the key off and back on, the engine will fire right back up.

If that's the one I saw the video of it just cuts power for a second. They had it wired to the ECU. The car cut off for a second then came right back. But you knew to get your foot out of it.

yes, the video explains alot.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Got it installed on Saturday, but as my luck would have it, the calibration on the boost reading is off by about 5.5 psi so now i have to send in my brand new gauge to get it calibrated.....AEM customer service is shit and i made sure the knew it.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Got it installed on Saturday, but as my luck would have it, the calibration on the boost reading is off by about 5.5 psi so now i have to send in my brand new gauge to get it calibrated.....AEM customer service is shit and i made sure the knew it.

That's disappointing. I haven't had to use their customer service yet, but I do judge the quality of a business on it.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
yeah, i was a little upset and the "tech support" guy didn't budge, i even called back to talk to their "customer service" guy and got the same thing....i told them had i known their customer service was like this i would not have ordered their product....instead of a failsafe gauge, now for the next 2 weeks i will have no gauge....the vendor i bought it from will not return my emails....so, i just got one from amazon prime for $273 shipped, once i get the new one back from AEM i will test and and sell it to recoup my money. someone will get a good deal.....

On a good note, i will say the gauge works as described! I'm very happy with the function. Easy to set up! I have it wired to a relay that when grounded opens up and kills power to the coils for 1/4 second and back on, its enough to let me feel it.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
I might be interested in that gauge for the wife's project car. Feel free to drop me a PM when you get it back.

More details on the way the relay is wired? I'll be doing this with their meth failsafe gauge as well, and I think it sounds like a good way to utilize the gauges.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I just cut the power wire going to the coils, I also have a WOTBOX that uses this wire so it was easy to find and the wire was already under my dash. Normally its in the under hood relay/fuse box.

Red Ignition Coil Power Location D5 (fuse 40, 15A)2007 mustang

I used the normally closed connections (87a and 30),cut the D5 wire and put the power side on 87a and the side going out to the coils on 30. so by default the circuit is connected until the AEM interrupts it.. Then I made a jumper from 87a to 86 to power the relay and used the ground from the AEM to trip the relay when the fail safe kicks in.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Hey man I don't know if you saw my response in the other thread, but I mentioned making that "Fail Safe" wire mimic a clutch pressed in wire. Since you already have the WOT box, it would engage your launch control cutting a little bit of your spark, if you were to the floor on the go pedal.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Hey man I don't know if you saw my response in the other thread, but I mentioned making that "Fail Safe" wire mimic a clutch pressed in wire. Since you already have the WOT box, it would engage your launch control cutting a little bit of your spark, if you were to the floor on the go pedal.

yes, but i don't like the idea of it relaying on the WOTBOX. Plus i can see 8-9 PSI at partial throttle if I'm leaning on the pedal slowly. The AEM allows you set just how long it will cut the coils, i have mine set to 250 ms.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
^ Agreed..and let us know if you have anymore issues. Hopefully you never experience any sort of failures but it's certainly piece of mind if it works as it should. I recall you mentioning it before when I asked you about widebands. Might go this route as well.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
I've since spoken to someone at AEM who seems to care a little more about the situation. They are going to reimburse me for the 3 day shipping I used to send them the gauge. My new gauge will be here tomorrow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back