aftermarket shif knob?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I've heard bad things about the Barton from others on other forums. But this being first manual I've owned I don't know much about shifters but heard about short throw shifters throughout the years.
I have no experience with Barton either, but in general all short-throw shifters tend to exaggerate however much notchiness is present . . . not a good thing, really.

Norm

xeninworx

Reaction score
Seems to me it wouldn't be hard at all to fabricate a short extension piece above the hex nut shown and the shift knob proper.

I did that for the MGW I installed in my '08, and it made a huge difference in reduced notchiness. Being closer to the steering wheel was a nice side benefit.

Norm

Norm

This is what I had on my 2006 Civic Si. I agree about it feeling better closer to the steering wheel. Had I not sold the Civic for the Mustang I was going to buy a Hybrid Racing shifter.

5A510C06-6ACC-49BC-9140-92E4C0B84E1F.jpeg

Lime1Gt

Reaction score
If you have a leather covered shift knob now switching to a resin or aluminum one you will loose any cushioning from the softness of the leather. I have some repetitive impact gun damage in my hands from years of use and I definitely could feel extra pain on hard shifting with my Hurst shifter resin knob on my now gone 05. My 17 has the leather knob and I find it much more forgiving. Then again I haven't missed a shift since installing a Blowfish Racing Bracket for an OEM shifter.

thirwin

Reaction score
I was having headers and tune done so i had the guys at the shop put my new mgw shifter in and it makes a lot of difference in my enjoyment of driving the car. Gives shifting a much more precise feel, and it’s much easier. I would recommend getting one for sure.

michaelm811

Reaction score
No one has mentioned Hurst shifter. Are they not in the running? Is the quality not there anymore? They used to be the go to shifter back in the day.

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
Before I had bought my Barton, I had "heard bad things".... But that was some time ago. I would bet a lot of the bad press had to do more with the other idiosyncrasies of the tr3650 and setup than the shifter. I actually really liked the tall handle of the hurst and would consider it knowing what I know now (which isn't much).

Charly

Reaction score
I have a Hurst shifter in my 07 GT, tight shifter and you know when you hit the gear, no question about hitting the gate, you can literally, make a shift with your arm on the arm rest and a flick to the wrist.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
When I had a 3650 I used the MGW adjustable shifter set to about mid point and it is definitely a solid shifter. Better than the Tri-ax and Hurst by far.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back