Airbag jack

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
So I got bored and I'm tired of driving up on blocks to jack up the car. I decided to build an airbag jack. Plus when at the track I won't have to bring a floor jack with me to switch tires. Just tested it out this morning. Lifts the car at 75 psi

20180415_115656.jpg

20180415_115238.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure that thing doesn't twist up and drop the car.

travelers

Reaction score
That looks like a air bag from a truck. So they don't twist they may lean a bit. I've installed a few of them. As long as doesn't slip of the pinch weld which it looks like there is a recess for that and and if you have the Steeda jacking rails I would like to straddle the rails.

That's a very good idea. Congrats.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. And yes it's a bag from a truck. Correct they do not twist but lean a little. I used some channel on top to straddle the pinch weld also there is rubber in the channel to prevent damage and slipping.

20180415_162129.jpg

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
jas2234,

That is an excellent idea. Necessity is the mother of invention and you've got a very handy air jack now. Good work.

Chris

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so you dont need a jack but now you need an air compressor or a tank

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
The cool kids already have air

Also at home you probably have one.
And if your at the track and have tires to change, you probably have some form of portable air compressor to change PSI in your track tires
zb5tq5w.jpg

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
While the "Cool kids already have air" they also need to have a fitting on their tank for an air line, which I currently do not, clear not cool!

Good idea!

NHOsfCU.jpg

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Car looks great Scott! I used the right side center port on the tank for a quick release. Works great at the track when changing air pressure and airing the tires back up for the drive home.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I have a fill port on my tank, but dont have a disconnect fitting to use the tank for an air chuck or anything.........yet

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Very cool idea, I've seen this before to secure cars strapped down to trailers to prevent the suspension from bouncing around while being towed but never to straight up jack up a car. Very cool for sure!

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I made two of these. I was only gonna make one but the price of 1 bag was $50 and the price of 2 was $70. I have about $100 in both.

travelers

Reaction score
Very cool idea, I've seen this before to secure cars strapped down to trailers to prevent the suspension from bouncing around while being towed but never to straight up jack up a car. Very cool for sure!

That's what we had for the Cuda when we traveled any distance. Those shocks are some bug money.

We used much larger airbags to lift fighter jets in the service. I know they now have them for larger jets.

I made two of these. I was only gonna make one but the price of 1 bag was $50 and the price of 2 was $70. I have about $100 in both.

Part number of the bag and what it came off of, if you please.
Thanks

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
The bags are not off of anything particular I just did some research to find one that had a collapsed height of less than 3".

The bags a are made by airmaxx. Their part # AI-AM-AB2600. It has 1/2 npt threads. You will need a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer. For the air fill line I used 3/8 air compressor tank flexible drain hose.

If you look at the pic of the airbag in the first post you will see the airline is above the channel. With the bag rotated so that the airline is toward the inside of the car there is 3/8" clearance between top of airline and the body.

Also for the channel I had 3/8" angle laying around and just welded it together. The rubber is from a "semi" mudflap. Just ground it down with my bench grinder for a snug fit. The bottom plate is 1/4" flat steel 6"×6".

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
Update.
Had a chance to put my airbag lifts in action at the track this weekend. Worked flawlessly, but as stated before they do tilt especially on unlevel ground. I changed tires on left side first, ground had slight slope and when both left side tires came off ground the car did shift a little. Got a little nervous. So I chocked both wheels on the right side. So my advice is if your going to make a set of these make sure you chock your tires on the opposite side, especially if lifting one side. If only doing one corner at a time I still would.

I have a plan on adding some positive lockouts just have to get a chance to make them and test. Only being home 2 days a week makes it tough for r&d.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back