Any Tips on Installing the Spyder DS

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was Forced to Buy a new Driveshaft I was driving home and in front of me was a tree service truck loaded with logs and branches, well several fell off he back and caused several cars swerved and I ran over a log, and it wedged up between the exhaust and driveshaft so hard that he car lifted in the air. I got the log out and followed the truck but could not catch him because of the vibration... I bent the stock Drive shaft..

So I bought a Spyder DS tonight, any tips on install, Tools ect..

Thanks

Last edited:

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy shit Man. Are you sure the DS is the only thing that got damaged? Did you at least get the license plate from the truck? May be worth getting everything inspected before installing a new DS. If the car actually lifted up like you said, the force against the DS could have caused damage to the tranny, differential and who knows what else.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy shit Man. Are you sure the DS is the only thing that got damaged? Did you at least get the license plate from the truck? May be worth getting everything inspected before installing a new DS. If the car actually lifted up like you said, the force against the DS could have caused damage to the tranny, differential and who knows what else.

I wasn't even thinking when I read this early this morning! Get that thing to a shop to get everything looked at, unless you already have and it was just the DS.

O

ohnoesaz

Heed my warning... I had a nightmare with my spyder install because I couldn't get the stock pinion flange off. I had to run out at mightnight to autozone and rent a few gear pullers. Once home, I needed the full force of the gear puller the entire distance of the pull. The flange was on that tightly. Some people get lucky and the stock one falls right off, not me.

So keep an eye out... Because it also meant I lost most of my gear oil.

Also, get the rear of the car up as much as possible. Its a magician's trick to slide the DS into place. You must go from the rear and the rear must really be lifted. I did it with jack and stands, but don't cheat yourself by not going high enough to start with.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have inspected everything, and it all looks good, the car did not lift the tires off the ground, it was like a big bump. the log was about 14 in in length and about 10 inch in diamiter. It looks like the front of the center pivot section is bent where the two peice DS connects so I looked for tranny oil around the bearing, checked the mounts and all is ok. Oh an I did not get the License of the truck, the name was Megal Hernandez tree and Lawn but I can't find it in the phone book or on the internet.

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Should give that to the cops right away.
I did when I got Home.

Well I Picked up the Drive shaft from Ron tonight, I could not wait to get started..
I got the Car up on Jack stands and got under the car for a better look and the damage is locally focused on the carrier bearing bracket, the log hit square on it with help from the H pipe. The old shaft came out with out a hitch in about an hour. I did not have time or a 27mm socket to install it so that will be tomarrow nights project.

spyder7724

Reaction score
I did when I got Home.

Well I Picked up the Drive shaft from Ron tonight, I could not wait to get started..
I got the Car up on Jack stands and got under the car for a better look and the damage is locally focused on the carrier bearing bracket, the log hit square on it with help from the H pipe. The old shaft came out with out a hitch in about an hour. I did not have time or a 27mm socket to install it so that will be tomarrow nights project.
cool let me know how it goes! i knew you wouldn't wait :)

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wohooo . Done.
That Was Easy. I Torqued The Pinion Nut to 140 ft lb, Torqued the other bolts to 79 ft lb.

I lost a couple of oz of fluid
IMAGE_193.jpg

Also I could not re install the cross bar, what do I do with this.

PDRM4119.jpg

Anyway I took it out for a Spin (Pun Intended) and you can feel the difference, the car feels like it revs quicker, No Noise or Vibrations but I only got it to 80 mph

THANKS RON AWSOME PRODUCT

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much are you lowered? I'm about 1" down all the way around and the tunnel brace has plenty of clearance with the DS. Then again, I think Ford stopped using them in '07. ??

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much are you lowered? I'm about 1" down all the way around and the tunnel brace has plenty of clearance with the DS. Then again, I think Ford stopped using them in '07. ??

I am not lowered, Stock Height.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So when you say you couldn't re-install it, do you mean there's not enough clearance with the DS? That's weird. Are you sure you were installing it right? I know, silly question, but you never know. Eh, it looks good where it's hanging now, just get a front DS loop and you'll be good to go.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So when you say you couldn't re-install it, do you mean there's not enough clearance with the DS? That's weird. Are you sure you were installing it right? I know, silly question, but you never know. Eh, it looks good where it's hanging now, just get a front DS loop and you'll be good to go.

Yes, Not enough clearance, it seems to hang lower than the stock DS.

Ok, now DS loops, any recomendations?

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, that's because the one piece DS is almost horizontal, where the two piece POS angled down from the carrier bearing. Still weird that mine fits...just goes to show no two cars are alike.

I'm using the BMR front loop and do not have any clearance problems. Some other folks are also using the CHE loop, although I think this one requires drilling whereas the BMR is a direct bolt on.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, that's because the one piece DS is almost horizontal, where the two piece POS angled down from the carrier bearing. Still weird that mine fits...just goes to show no two cars are alike.

I'm using the BMR front loop and do not have any clearance problems. Some other folks are also using the CHE loop, although I think this one requires drilling whereas the BMR is a direct bolt on.
hmm if you are lowered then would the DS sit higher into the tunnel?
because when you lower the car the rear axle is closer to the body of the car
this would move the axis of the DS up high, in my case the body sits higher so the DS sits lower in the tunnel

spyder7724

Reaction score
strange cause mine is on and i have about 1-2 inches of clearance when the suspension is weighted. not sure about when it's not weighted though. i'm only lowered about 1/2 inch or so now in the rear. anyway it's a useless item. it was there to add support to the tunnel but these cars don't need that so ford stopped using them in late '06.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so it could be a good place for drive shaft loop?

BTW, This DS is Awesome, one of the Few Mods that you can really Feel....

Good Stuff Ron..
:allhail:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back