Anyone ever take their Mustang to Carmax to get a quote?

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about running down to CarMax to see what they would offer me for my car. Anyone ever have experience with them when it comes to our modified mustangs?

TrickyP

Booyah!
Reaction score
I haven't taken my Mustang to CarMax (thought about it), but I did take my F-150 a few years back. CarMax won't give you any extra $$ for aftermarket parts (expected), and normally frowns upon the "larger" aftermarket parts...especially the ones they can see easily like significant suspension mods, superchargers, turbos, etc. They won't put your car on a lift, so if you have some parts you don't want to take off, they probably won't see some of them.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Sad to hear you're selling the car! but know that the mods won't get you anything extra from dealers or most people. unless they are enthusiasts.. better off bringing it back to stock and selling the mods to get some money for them.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm not going to get anything for the mods. I actually stopped at a couple Ford dealerships yesterday and they wouldn't/couldn't give me a $$$$ figure.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Croft,

I have sold to Carmax in the past.

And believe it or not they gave me $2,000.00 dollars more than the Delaer I purchased that car from.

You might want to check on something though.

I'm pretty sure Carmax won't even purchase a {Modified} vehicle.

I can't say that 100% but that is what I have been told.

I saw your other Thread on S197 where you have it listed for sale.

Do you mind saying why you are making the change ?

Just wondering as it was always fun to post with you and see what you were doing with your GT/CS Mustang.

Good-Luck in the future. :thumb2:

Terry aka "tigerhonaker"

Last edited:

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just had a friend of mine take his modified 2011 down there not too long ago and he got a quote.

I don't want to sell it but I need to make some changes in my life and in order to make those changes the mustang might have to go.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just had a friend of mine take his modified 2011 down there not too long ago and he got a quote.

I don't want to sell it but I need to make some changes in my life and in order to make those changes the mustang might have to go.
Croft,

Well heck give Carmax a try then.

Heck it might work out for you.

I was just at Carmax some months back looking at their inventory for an MCS (Mini Cooper S).

But as it turned out they just did not have the right MCS with options I was wanting.

Plus they were in my case like $1,800.00 dollars below on their buy quote.

So I did not do any good on selling them or buying this last time.

Terry

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to give them a try but certainly remember to keep an open mind.

I've been 3 times withi 3 different vehicles (but not with a mustang) and I can't say I was impressed. Walked away each time..but we had nothing to lose which is why we went.

keith88lx

forum member
Reaction score
I sold my 2006 GT to them back in July 2013 right before I moved. I returned it back to stock and they gave me $1000 more than what they quoted me in July 2012 (when it was modded).

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I have only tried to get a quote from carmax once on a '01 cobra that wasn't highly modified, and they wanted to give like $1500 less than NADA trade in. Definitely better to return to stock and sell the aftermarket parts separately though.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Pricing a used car by NADA is not really an indication of what its worth. NADA is very optimistic. What the dealers go by is auction pricing for the given car. Used car auctions post thier sale prices and the used car managers go by this so if they can't sell the car at least they can run it through an auction and get thier money back. Either way good luck with selling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
The Carmax here as well as my dealership use a KBB program are for dealers. It breaks it down to trade value, wholesale value, and retail value. A dealerships goal is to buy it for trade value, put money into it so they own it at or below wholesale value and profit when they sell it at retail value (or god forbid sell it at wholesale and still profit).

That being said, we can also see what similar year and mileage cars are selling for at auction, and we can see the swing between KBB, Nada and a few others.

Keep your quote from Carmax if you are buying another car (not just selling). My dealership will 99% match Carmax if not beat them.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I tried to take mine to Apple Ford Laura, They said 10k. I asked what if I returned it to stock and they said 10k. I laughed and got out of there. I was like I could sell aftermarket stuff off of my car for more than 10k.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Are you planning on parting it out at all? That would be the best way to recoup some money. I know I'd love to get my hands on your grille...

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The dealers won't give a trade number to walk out the store with. They know 99% of the time, you won't be back. It is easy for another dealer to beat their number by a couple hundred and steal the deal. They probably told you to shop and bring numbers back to them when you are ready to buy.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Keep your quote from Carmax if you are buying another car (not just selling). My dealership will 99% match Carmax if not beat them.
I just did this last week when I traded my 07 sierra. CarMax offered me $17,000, according to KBB Excellent trade in is $17,451. I took that quote to a dealer in Houston and they gave me $16750, but since I traded it on a 2011 I got $1047 in tax savings. I would try this out.

My truck had 4.56's F&R and custom tune when I traded it in.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had several cars appraised/sold to Carmax and they want the car as stock as possible; they will offer less money for a modded car than they will a stock car so put it back as close as possible to stock.

Had a 2007 G35 that had a lot of mods on it, took it to them for an appraisal, got a number, was told it was worth my time to put it back to stock, I did and recveived $4k more for it.

Did the same thing on my Tundra, removed everything from aftermarket speakers to the antenna and put it back to stock before selling it to them.

Carmax wants stock cars that are still under warranty so if there is an issue it can repaired under warranty from the dealer but at least it's a starting point to see what your car is worth if it does not sell privately.

Chris06GT

Dragging LS Ass..
Reaction score
Laura, when I sold the 06, CarMax offered me 11,500 for it.... full of all the mods that were on it. I took it home, returned everything to stock, They bought it from me for $12,300...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back