anyone experience with 315 tires

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Racer47 is 100% right.

Philip - I don't know if it is a language barrier going on here or what but your tires are the normal 315mm Toyo R888 that a whole lot of people run on the backs of their Mustangs. The fact that an un-mounted, un-aired tire might measure slightly bigger than the stated width is not surprising at all. The 315 does not refer to the ACTUAL width, only the tread width, and manufacturers are free to make the tread as wide or narrow as they deem fit and still call it a 315. My 305 Michelins measure far wider than most 315 and fit fine.

I would recommend that you tell Paul that you plan on using the 315mm R888 and see what size/offset he recommends. A 20x11 with a 53 or 55mm offset is probably what he will recommend and I doubt that any modifications will need to be made at all.

There are people running big fat 325mm Michelins and even bigger with few, if any, problems.

Champale,

It def ain't a language barrier ;)

The tire compagnie says they will narrow down with about 6mm in total when being inflated. The side walls of those tTyo's are really stiff so it won't mather that much.

When I measure the inside of the tire between the beads, from inside bead to inside bead is 270mm and from outside bead to outside bead it's 300mm.

Like Racer47 said, the plan was to go go for and offset of 60 to end right beside the fenders. But this will result in rubbing the inside.

The shop who's going to do the install the engine say they will never work. 305 no problem, 315 maybe, mine def nope.
Paul from Howey also says it's going to be a problem without adjustments.

I'm not intrested in tires who will barely rub or have only a few issues, I want none!

Those tires cost $460 each and if I mount them on the rims than I can't return them for sure. now it's still a "maybe"
The 20x11 rims are $475 each. So the total would be $1,870 for tmaybe taking the risk of encountering some problems.

It's like with the supercharger kit I bought and installed. Spent $14,000 on the kit, some other goodies, shipping and taxes for something that "normally" shouldn't be a problem.

The kit I have is within the general rule of thumb for good quality OEM rods.
Guess what? Just my luck that one of my rods seemed to be of a lesser quality. But again, normally the engines can take those kits, there are thousants of those installed in the US without any issues, just mine didn't.
And so I ended up spending almost another $20,000 for a fine engine, shipping, taxes, labour, ...

Maybe you would take the risk and order the rims because they "normally should work". But on other forums the most guys tell me not to do it.

I can be wrong but when I go for the 305's I have the certainty that they will work! And will that 10mm make such a big difference ;)

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
I am unaware of any rear fender difference between 2011 and 2014.

I understand you wanting to be conservative about wheel and tire selection. I was just trying to let you know that mounting R888s in 315/30/20 is done all the time by a lot of people with no issues. They are a fantastic tire, too, and if you already have them I was just giving you some suggestions as to how to make them work.

Nothing wrong with 305s - I use them myself and am very happy with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Either way, good luck and have fun with it!

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
I am unaware of any rear fender difference between 2011 and 2014.

I understand you wanting to be conservative about wheel and tire selection. I was just trying to let you know that mounting R888s in 315/30/20 is done all the time by a lot of people with no issues. They are a fantastic tire, too, and if you already have them I was just giving you some suggestions as to how to make them work.

Nothing wrong with 305s - I use them myself and am very happy with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.

Either way, good luck and have fun with it!

Tnx champale. It's not about being conservative but about being sure. Like I said there are a lot of people running the SS package without issues but mine blew. Why? One can only guess but will never know for sure!

I've sent a message to that guy and we'll see what he has to say. :peace:

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Champale,
When I measure the inside of the tire between the beads, from inside bead to inside bead is 270mm and from outside bead to outside bead it's 300mm.

Like Racer47 said, the plan was to go go for and offset of 60 to end right beside the fenders. But this will result in rubbing the inside.

ok i'll try one more time. You are not thinking this through correctly.
300mm outside to outside bead = 11.8"

An 11 wheel will pull that in 0.8 inches or 20 mm.

You wont get that full 20 mm off max width but if you did that would be your previously stated 330 - 20 = 310 mm width.

But like I said, you wont get all of that so it will be bigger than 310, maybe its 315 or 320 mm. After you air up the tire it will grow in diameter also making it narrower. After its all over you will end up with a 315 mm wide tire + or - 3mm or so.

60 mm offset will leave about an 1/8" clearance or 3 mm. It wont rub. If you want more clearance go to 65 mm offset for 8 mm clearance or 5/16"

As far as the rods go, they have a fatigue life. If you've run them hard, at high revs for a long time you are using up the fatigue life. After so many cycles at a load high enough to cause damage they will fail. The higher the load, the sooner the failure. Maybe you already used up your rods and the blower just finished one of them off.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Do you guys have any advice on what to do with the front tires?

In the back it's going to be the Toyo R888 in either 305 or 315, whatever fits. First gonna give the 315 a chance. Ordered 20x11 rims with 56 offset!!

In the front I was going to keep my "old" setup, being 255/40R19.
Now there are Yokohama advan Sport on.
Most because I was a bit scared of the handling of the Toyo R888 on a wet road. Generaly if you don't go crazy they are no problems in the rain, so I'm told. But thats why I didn't go for Toyo up front but for my regular tyre with good grip dry and wet.

Now I've heard that the difference in grip might not be recommended.
The difference between a Toyo R88 315 (or 305) and the Yokohama 255 should be relative big. But is that a problem??

Is it better to go also wider up front and go for a tyre with more grip like in the back? Or go f.ex. for a Michelin Pilot Super Sport (265 or 275) with quitte a lot grip dry and still ok wet. Rims are 19x9.

Or should I be ok like I planned with the 255 Yokohama's

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
The trouble with front and rear mix-and-match of tire sizes and compounds is that they are all OK and maybe useful if you don't ever need to predict their behavior. You never know when you'll need to call on them to work the right way to get you out of a jam. I suppose you could put some science on it and test them wet, dry, fast, medium, slow, so you'd know what to expect, but there's no guarantee you'd be able to remember your results in an emergency.

Of course, you might never have an emergency.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the results are 100% predictable.......fat r comps on the rear + skinny crap yoks on the front = it will push like a loaded dump truck

Last edited:

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
the results are 100% predictable.......fat r comps on the rear + skinny crap yoks on the front = it will push like a loaded dump truck
do you mean that when breaking?
255 aint really skinny and I was always happy about the yokohama's. Handled good.

claudermilk

Reaction score
255 in front vs 315 stickies in the rear is a pretty big difference. So: what Racer said. That's a recipe for constant terminal understeer. I wouldn't do it if it were me.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
ok but the problem is that toyo only has 265/35r19 and those are approx 30mm lower than the 315/30r20 in the rear.
Suppose if I install those that wont look good at all.
next width is 295 and thats too big.
Would it be better then to go for michelin up front? 265/40r19 in pilot super sport or pilot sport cup 2???

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Buy some new 20x9.5 front wheels and mount the 285/35/20 R888. Problem solved.

(It is easy for me to spend other people's money)

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Buy some new 20x9.5 front wheels and mount the 285/35/20 R888. Problem solved.

(It is easy for me to spend other people's money)
lol, rather not. Just bought 4new rims and took 19x9 in front to use up my old tires first. If i knew this before i would have done what u said

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you mean that when breaking?
255 aint really skinny and I was always happy about the yokohama's. Handled good.

Philip,

Just one person's opinion.

I have no knowledge what the roads, hills, terrain is in Belgium where you will be doing the majority of your driving.

Assuming your not going to be racing at high speeds around mountain corners or for that matter any corners at way over the posted speed limits.

I can tell you running the 255 tires up front with the wider tires you speak of in the rear is zero issues.

The Bullitt 2008/2009 Mustangs come from Ford with 235/55/18" tires.
(Of course all 4 same size)

So you are stepping up actually to the optional tire size for the Bullitt Mustangs with those 255 tires up front.

They ain't no-little-ass-tire in width and certainly road-holding-ability.

I don't know what a GT Mustang came from Ford with in regards to the factory tire size.

But if the GT was like the Bullitt Mustang I would guess the size would be similar.

Both are the S-197 body styles and have the 3-valve 4.6 engines.

Heck I ran the Fats and Skinnies under mine for a few years and NEVER had an issue.
But I did "Always" keep in mind that I could not make any Super-Quick-Moves and certainly No-Quick-Stops.

So I'm suggesting according to your application in regards to where and how you intend on driving those 255 tires up front are not going to be an issue.

SCCA Racing and if you were into Road Racing maybe an issue but under normal driving conditions my opinion is you will be A-OK with your choice.

This is mine below with the fats & skinnies under it.
I ran them for thousands of miles in the dry, rain and certainly sometimes at High-Speeds.

That includes here in the USA driving on the interstates at a constant 70-75 MPH for hours on end.

Terry

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
sure if you drive slow and never approach the limit of traction than any rag tire will do

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
the roads are quite ok here and my 'cruizing' speed is around 90mph on the highways. Speed limit is 75

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the roads are quite ok here and my 'cruizing' speed is around 90mph on the highways. Speed limit is 75 ��

I see no problem with your tire selection.

Since mine has been to 140 Plus MPH many-many times and it had 255 Continental DW tires on the front.
I ran those for years under it until I switched to the M/T 20" wheels and M/T 20" tires.

T.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back