Tire sizes

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Why do most companies stop at a 275/40/18? Really all I can find are your Nittos, goodyear, Michelin, and the other larger companies make above that. I really wish the indy 500 tire would come out in a 285/40/18 or 295/40/18. Would bring more competition to the larger competitors.

As a daily I use cheap tires and they work awesome for me. I have used Federal SS, Achilles ATR Sport 2, and Nankang AS-1's as my daily tire and have been fantastic for daily driving and for how cheap they are they are great. Decent dry grip and okay wet. I haven't had any traction issues. They also last awhile. I'm looking to try out the firestones next. Only downfall I really see is these tires get harder and less grippy around halfway through their life. Not as sticky or rubbery which I expect. Still don't have any problems with daily though. Now drag strip is different though lol. Also use these tires cause of money being pretty tight when new tires are needed.

For the strip I do put on a set of SVE drag wheels for the rear and i'm good.

But anyone have any ideas as to why these others don't go to a larger size? Friend has the firestone on his new edge and are wonderful alright.

The 275 doesn't bother me but I do want a 27" or 27.3" tire vs the 26.7"

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
why does any company produce or not produce a product, economics, supply and demand.

it's the OEMs who don't engineer a car with those sizes so the aftermarket has little demand for them, the vast majority of cars ride on OEM sized tires for their life.

46addict

Reaction score
Side question. How did you like the Federal SS tires and how long did they last you? I'm leaning towards getting them for street use.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Side question. How did you like the Federal SS tires and how long did they last you? I'm leaning towards getting them for street use.
I really enjoyed them. I mean the rears wore out a little faster lol. But overall they lasted 2 years. I drive a lot, every month I drive 200+ miles to jacksonville Florida from the space coast and back but while up there I cruise around and drive about 300+ miles the whole weekend and 200+ miles back and then But as a street tire they hit all my needs and very happy with them. I would definitely buy them again. I'd say about 40,000 miles on the rears and that's with having a lot of street fun. The fronts were still good and then I tried the Nankang tires. The fronts did about 50,000.

I was never nervous in the Florida rain or anything no real grip issues. I'd still run if boosted.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Why do most companies stop at a 275/40/18? Really all I can find are your Nittos, goodyear, Michelin, and the other larger companies make above that. I really wish the indy 500 tire would come out in a 285/40/18 or 295/40/18. Would bring more competition to the larger competitors.

As a daily I use cheap tires and they work awesome for me. I have used Federal SS, Achilles ATR Sport 2, and Nankang AS-1's as my daily tire and have been fantastic for daily driving and for how cheap they are they are great. Decent dry grip and okay wet. I haven't had any traction issues. They also last awhile. I'm looking to try out the firestones next. Only downfall I really see is these tires get harder and less grippy around halfway through their life. Not as sticky or rubbery which I expect. Still don't have any problems with daily though. Now drag strip is different though lol. Also use these tires cause of money being pretty tight when new tires are needed.

For the strip I do put on a set of SVE drag wheels for the rear and i'm good.

But anyone have any ideas as to why these others don't go to a larger size? Friend has the firestone on his new edge and are wonderful alright.

The 275 doesn't bother me but I do want a 27" or 27.3" tire vs the 26.7"

If you don’t mind the softness you can get a 315 MT ET Street SS in a near 28”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
why does any company produce or not produce a product, economics, supply and demand.

it's the OEMs who don't engineer a car with those sizes so the aftermarket has little demand for them, the vast majority of cars ride on OEM sized tires for their life.

How many mustangs came with oem 275-40-18 tires ? (besides Roush).

I agree, IF the Indy 500 tire was also available in a 285-40-18 AND a 295-40-18, Firestone's sales would go through the roof. A 305-35-19 / 295-35-19 / 285-35-29... would be another winner. I'd send a note off to them, and prompt them... tell em they are missing the boat on this one. A 285-35-18 / 295-35-18 would be another good combo.

Previously, the Nitto NT-555 was only available in a 295-45-18....( 28.45".... way too big imo, semi useless) In the new 555-G2 format, they offer both a 295-40-18.. (27.29"... almost the same as oem 235-50-28) and also the previous 295-45-18. I sent several emails off to Nitto over the last few years, pleading with them to make XXX in sizes YYY. Perhaps some of my efforts (and others no doubt).. have had some effect.

They can't sell tires, if they don't make em in sizes folks want. They have a winner on their hands with their Indy -500 ( re-branded Bridgestone). Why not capitalize on it, and run with it. IF they started making em in sizes folks wanted, they could easily take a huge chunk of business away from NITTO, Mich, etc, etc.

JJ427R

Reaction score
If you don’t mind the softness you can get a 315 MT ET Street SS in a near 28”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Don't get caught in the rain with the ET Streets on though... That would be the difference between these tires. Not the best option for a daily driver, ET streets are dangerous on wet....
I run a set of 305/45/18 ET Streets on 18x10 Roush wheels.... 29" inches tall

Mickey Thompson Street Comps are great on the street, but give up quickly on the road course....

My daily tires are 20" I just ordered the Firestones 275/35/20, curious how they will be.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back