Anyone leave off the oil filter cover/ shield?

2012GT

forum member
Reaction score
The plastic shield you have to take off to get to the oil filter ( 3) 7mm bolts). I was thinking about leaving mine off. Yeah I know it may protect from a little road debris but it's just a tedious task for a quick oil change. It's just one of those things that irritate me I guess. I was thinking about leaving mine off next oil change. Anyone left theirs off? Heck, it may aid in cooling as well with it off??????????

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Yep...it will never go back on either. ;)

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I thought that was part of the aerodynamics of the car. I've seen people install them on the previous S197 years instead of hood pins.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
Its an aerodynamic piece it appears. It may also keep under the hood cleaner and keep water off of certain things as well. I'm sure they put it there for some reason.

Its a PITA but a lot of newer cars have it, I hate it myself since on ramps it gets in the way using a drain pain if you just hinge it down.

Drex

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, my 2010 has it as well, but I will keep it there. It has to help keep the engine bay cleaner.

---
- Tapatalk makes me look incoherent

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
I wouldn't remove it. For one, it does help keep the engine bay cleaner. But it also helps with cooling the engine I would think. The engine compartment is designed to have air flow in a given fashion. Unless you put a cowl hood on there, I wouldn't risk it. Also, it will keep small debris like rocks and tire rubber etc...from getting in there and causing damage to some thing. Aerodynamics also.

69Mach1-409

Reaction score
I added it to mine prior to putting my Kaenen (BBR / Steeda) hood on and have no noticeable flutter. ..and it might be me, but she seems to cruise at Hwy speeds alittle easier now.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't remove it. For one, it does help keep the engine bay cleaner. But it also helps with cooling the engine I would think. The engine compartment is designed to have air flow in a given fashion. Unless you put a cowl hood on there, I wouldn't risk it. Also, it will keep small debris like rocks and tire rubber etc...from getting in there and causing damage to some thing. Aerodynamics also.

BS.....

I run the piss out of my car in 100+ degree weather and can tell anyone it does nothing for cooling. As for aerodynamics.....that is highly debatable. 2 car's without run close to 120 in the quarter and one has run 160 at the Texas Mile both without that flap crap on the car.

It's only purpose is to piss people off who change their own oil.

Jim Vaccaro

forum member
Reaction score
"""It's only purpose is to piss people off who change their own oil."""

I got oil spills first time i changed my oil

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
I have a very hard time believing that Ford spent the money to 1) do the R&D on placement and location, and 2) spend the money on a plastic shield just so they could piss you off when you change your oil. I'd surmise you don't have many friends with that sort of paranoid attitude.

It was put there to increase the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Anybody who has taken a few aerodynamics classes (admittedly, not many) will know that all the junk in the bottom of the engine bay creates a significant amount of disturbance to the under-car airflow. The more drag there is, not only is it making the car burn more fuel to keep the same speed, but it is actually increasing lift, making the car less stable at high speeds.

Given, both of these changes are in the 1-3% area, so you're not going to notice a huge difference either way, but it obviously makes enough of a difference that Ford felt it necessary to put it there.

You can be assured, however, that its primary purpose was for fuel efficiency, and that is what you will lose a little of should you remove it.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a very hard time believing that Ford spent the money to 1) do the R&D on placement and location, and 2) spend the money on a plastic shield just so they could piss you off when you change your oil. I'd surmise you don't have many friends with that sort of paranoid attitude.

It was put there to increase the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Anybody who has taken a few aerodynamics classes (admittedly, not many) will know that all the junk in the bottom of the engine bay creates a significant amount of disturbance to the under-car airflow. The more drag there is, not only is it making the car burn more fuel to keep the same speed, but it is actually increasing lift, making the car less stable at high speeds.

Given, both of these changes are in the 1-3% area, so you're not going to notice a huge difference either way, but it obviously makes enough of a difference that Ford felt it necessary to put it there.

You can be assured, however, that its primary purpose was for fuel efficiency, and that is what you will lose a little of should you remove it.

You obviously missed my point....it doesn't provide enough gain to leave it in place hence it's only purpose is to piss off the self maintainer.

You want to leave yours in place then go for it. I'll leave mine in the attic where it belongs.....:asslicker:

Lone Star

forum member
Reaction score
I do all my own service on my car, it didn't bother me any to take 3 screws off and let it drape down while I changed my oil, then to put them back in.

Each to his own!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Once you drop that shield, all you need to do is wrap your oil filter in a 1-gallon size freezer zip-lock bag right before you take it off. This will prevent your getting oil all over the place.

WBT, you might be correct in that it does nothing for under hood temps. However, I would be willing to bet that Ford took airflow and temps into consideration when designing it. A Ford Engineer would have to let us know for sure.

Aerodynamics wise, that's the primary reason manufacturers put those panels underneath the car. Better stability at high speeds and better fuel efficiency, as mentioned, is a fact.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Once you drop that shield, all you need to do is wrap your oil filter in a 1-gallon size freezer zip-lock bag right before you take it off. This will prevent your getting oil all over fact place.

Nifty trick Sir.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back