Anyone wanna know what a PCM looks like inside?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Since I ordered a new PCM, just to rule that out in the electrical problems I'm having, I decided to crack mine open to see if there were any noticeable burn marks, as I've seen others have on some Ford PCMs.

Enjoy!

(click for larger)

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Any way you can get some pics of the other side? I can't tell what Microcontroller it uses; it appears to be soldered to the "bottom" of the PCB.

Reaction score
I would hate to know the programming involved for that thing. I hate programming ugh....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think you just voided your PCM warranty... :poke:

:lol:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I never cracked one open, if you still have your V6 around, can you open it and on the other side and check if it really has less drivers?

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I had to pull my 02 Mustang ECM out when I father-n-law drove it in a ditch full of water.

Looked it was coated in a sealant or something.

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
There is a looooooooooooooot of room on there for expansion. Interesting.

And Stephen, most PCBs that go in automotive or severe-duty applications are coated in a sealant. Acrylic polymer sealants are popular and common. Silicone is another one you'll find a lot.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Interesting. Any way you can get some pics of the other side? I can't tell what Microcontroller it uses; it appears to be soldered to the "bottom" of the PCB.
Man, it was hard enough just to get the cover off. I don't think I could remove the PCB without breaking something (I do want to be able use it, if possible)

It sure as hell doesn't look like it's worth $600!
No doubt.... and yes, I do work with a great many different types of electronics. This is nowhere near $600 worth of electrical PCB and components.

I think you just voided your PCM warranty... :poke:
Hahaha, I laugh every time I get the "extend your factory warranty" fliers in
my mailbox. Hilarious.

I never cracked one open, if you still have your V6 around, can you open it and on the other side and check if it really has less drivers?
The V6 PCM is still 100% serviceable. I'd like to sell it... as curious as I am to see if the hardware is the same. My belief is that it's the same hardware, but that there is an particular area that needs to be flashed for work with other engines (that might not be SCT-accessible).

There is a looooooooooooooot of room on there for expansion. Interesting.
Yeah, I should watercool the fucker.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Conformal coating. Pretty common for any PCB that's going to be exposed to less than optimal environmental conditions.

Yup. I spray the stuff on my motherboards/video cards whenever I watercool my computers. The stuff on the PCM was much thicker, though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

lito

forum member
Reaction score
The V6 PCM is still 100% serviceable. I'd like to sell it... as curious as I am to see if the hardware is the same. My belief is that it's the same hardware, but that there is an particular area that needs to be flashed for work with other engines (that might not be SCT-accessible).

I think not, technology is basically the same and the PCM is similar but (I don't know how many V6 were built) lets say that if you can make V6 PCM batches with 4 less drivers that would make those PCMs cheaper, you'll do it.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I think not, technology is basically the same and the PCM is similar but (I don't know how many V6 were built) lets say that if you can make V6 PCM batches with 4 less drivers that would make those PCMs cheaper, you'll do it.
Not sure what you mean when you say drivers, but I think I get your point.

On the other hand, the Mustang always sells more V6 models than V8s. It's probably what has kept the Mustang alive and kicking every year since its inception. There would be a very good argument for using the same PCM in all the models, too. Think about it, the 05-09 V6s have the same fuel system as the GT, even though it doesn't need it. Why not do the same with that?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

lito

forum member
Reaction score
2 coil drivers and 2 injector drivers. In final production should be easy not to add them and save.

On the pump system, it all depends on what were the costs of one pump versus the other, at that level would not be surprising it would cost the exact same. Or even saving to order a whole bigger batch of a single model.

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
Since I ordered a new PCM, just to rule that out in the electrical problems I'm having, I decided to crack mine open to see if there were any noticeable burn marks, as I've seen others have on some Ford PCMs.

Looks just like my old betamax I broke open once.......

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score

I believe it's a 40mhz Motorola MPC-565 32-bit :beerchug2:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back