automatic transmission + blower

stang281

forum member
Reaction score
hi everybody I would like to no if they are many people here who put a sc on a 05-10 mustang automatic?The thing is I just bouth a 2010 mustang gt automatic trans because the price for 2010 are good because of the new 5.0 and now I would like to put a vortech on it but dont want to broke the trans.My friend put a vortech with water methanol and he made 456rwhp i'm planning to put the same kit I race only one time a week and when I go to the track i'm making 3 to 5 race.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score
It's a crap shoot - some guys autos last for awhile - others give up almost immediately. My buddy put a procharger on his '07 auto and the trans lasted a half an hour on the street.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tune...tune....tune. An FI'd Auto car needs a tuner than can tune the tranny as well as the engine. Two yrs at my current power levels, and no issues.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Check the top 1/4 list under the drag section. You can see all the autos there. Im running a Saleen blower on the stock auto trans @ 10psi and 482whp on the stock converter as well. No issues yet. And I take her to the track at least once a month and run on slicks

Scord

forum member
Reaction score
The length in time it'll last is directly affected by the way you drive your car.

I am a case in point; I have gone through 2 stock automatic transmissions on my 07, with 50k miles on the clock. I drive it like it owes me money... which it does. :rant:

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Agree'd with all of the above. Tune is critical. I'm running about 440 whp right now with no issues. But I don't flog her every day either.

Travis

I do. :beerdrink: Of course, I have the "if it can't hang, it can't stay" philosophy.

stang281

forum member
Reaction score
I'm very happy to see that many people have good result with the 5r55s.Now I hope it will be fast enough to beat the new 5.0 with bolt-ons!do you thik with the vortech it will be good to run in the 11 sec I no many people say it's better to go with a roots blower with au auto trans.

Last edited:

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
I'm very happy to see that many people have good result with the 5r55s.Now I hope it will be fast enough to beat the new 5.0 with bolt-ons!do you thik with the vortech it will be good to run in the 11 sec I no many people say it's better to go with a roots blower with au auto trans.

I know a few FI guys running into the mid 11's so I don't see any reason you couldn't break into the 11's with an auto.

Well said! I have the same philosophy lol. and i love my twin screw

If you flog your car, it's going to break. I don't care if it's modded or stock. That's the nature of the beast. Just enjoy it till it does. :)

MSgt46270

Reaction score
Get a good tune and expect to break it and have a plan B, C, D etc... I've had my trans rebuilt about 4 or 5 times now.

Liberty911

forum member
Reaction score
What everyone else said.

IMO, do what you can to protect the trans. In this case, go with a PA Deep pan for an additional 4 quarts of fluid for cooling, and a dip stick to accurately and easily monitor the fluid level. Also. install a trans fluid temp gauge. My understanding is trans fluid begins to break down at 180 so you would want to monitor the temp.

DAVE O

Reaction score
I'm running a vortech ho,frpp hotrod cams,frpp 62mm tb,cmdp,kooks lt with high flow catts and a stock auto 486 at the wheels. As some said its
all in the tune. My set up was done at dasilva racing just an easy drive
down the 401. Contact matt d on this site you will not be disappointed.
Make shure you get a custom tune after you spend that kind of cash.,better yet have them do the whole set up. good luck!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know a few FI guys running into the mid 11's so I don't see any reason you couldn't break into the 11's with an auto.
IF you can't break in to the 11s running a blower you don't need to be driving the car.

Get a good tune and expect to break it and have a plan B, C, D etc... I've had my trans rebuilt about 4 or 5 times now.
As much as it is in the tune, it is also in the trans and who you have build it. Just like the saying goes.... The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I have had my Level 10 transmission for a couple of years now. I have over 500 to the wheels, beat on it like it owes me money, take it to the track as often as time permits, launch it hard enough to bring the front tires off the ground... and it just keeps right on going.

Johnstone610

Reaction score
I have Kenne Bell with auto trans. It did well for a long time but the converter finally ballooned the piston. There is a new Heavy Duty billet plate for our stock converters. Throwing that in the car will let everyone know how it does.

Has anyone really beat on a TCI Super Streetfighter yet? I’m thinking about just eating the cash and trying it. Also who is the go-to guy who is tuning the 5r55s?

CaliSpecial

TVS Posse!
Reaction score
I have Kenne Bell with auto trans. It did well for a long time but the converter finally ballooned the piston. There is a new Heavy Duty billet plate for our stock converters. Throwing that in the car will let everyone know how it does.

Has anyone really beat on a TCI Super Streetfighter yet? I’m thinking about just eating the cash and trying it. Also who is the go-to guy who is tuning the 5r55s?

That would be JDM IMO...

Alter Ego Trip

Pot Stirring Aficianado
Reaction score
I have had my Level 10 transmission for a couple of years now. I have over 500 to the wheels, beat on it like it owes me money, take it to the track as often as time permits, launch it hard enough to bring the front tires off the ground... and it just keeps right on going.

Those tranni's are very reasonably priced. I know which way I'm going when I grenade mine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back