automatic V6 cat delete question.

machnone

charlie sheen member
Reaction score
secondly, i'm thinking about having my cats taken off. i was going to have it done already but my friend who builds mustangs ( i only questioned it since he's a v8 guy, and i wouldn't expect him to know about the 4.0 v6 unless he's just that big into it ) told me that taking the cats off could mess with the motor? i wont be having the cats off until i order the flash tuner.

I'm fully aware this question might look retarded, but i've searched the forums and google and havent found anything on it, and dont want to potentially mess something up.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
First, why? Little to no gains have been measured on the dyno by removing the cats. Only if you have F/I should you even consider it.
And, w/o cats, it'll sound like crap, especially with no mufflers...unlike you like a raspy ricer sound.

machnone

charlie sheen member
Reaction score
i was told i could get some gain from removing the cats, but havent found anything about the v6 mustangs. I'm driving a v6 mustang, not a v8 mustang. Imitating what's done to a different motor produces different results, plus why be another mustang in a crowd of many trying to be GTs. Right now I enjoy my v6 and dont intend on getting a GT til i finish college right as they release the 50th anniversary boss 5.0 :) graduation gifts from me to myself ( win ).

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
This is a 4.0L thread; I used to have a 4.0L, and not talking about v8's here.
I did a lot of research into this as well when I had a 4.0, being a old-school gear-head who's done a lot of exhaust mods in my day to gain a little power here and there.

Look at vmptuning.com's forum pages; you'll find references to v6 cats.

JimC

Reaction score
Everyone I know who removed the cats on their 4.0 regretted it. They all say it was the worst modthey did.

Alec

forum member
Reaction score
Don't do it. It will sound like shit, you won't pass emissions depending on which state and there's no real benefit

machnone

charlie sheen member
Reaction score
thanks, saved myself however much it was gonna end up costing to do that. I dont know anybody witha v6 mustang that actually sounds like a good v6 instead of a v6 wanting to be a v8, so everything i've been doing has been swing as miss.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Rather than removing the cats, if you really want to do something I would recommend picking up a high flow cat.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
thanks, saved myself however much it was gonna end up costing to do that. I dont know anybody witha v6 mustang that actually sounds like a good v6 instead of a v6 wanting to be a v8, so everything i've been doing has been swing as miss.

Better to find out before doing it :thanks

machnone

charlie sheen member
Reaction score
well, since the cats dont really do anything, even with if it's tuned for it, i'm just gonna get a air intake to go with my shaker and have it professionally tuned. i dont see myself doing much after this, just stuff so it drives less like a yacht.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back