Foglight delete/pony delete grille ?

richie9mt

Reaction score
I like pretty much everything about my 2006 4.0 V6 base-model Mustang exterior. Previous owner(s) individualized it with the foglights and 5-spoke wheels. But I don't love the foglights and grille. I would rather keep the hexagonal style but without the foglight openings and the silly horsey emblem.

I looked for a foglight/horse delete grill and couldn't find one without the molded-in horse emblem mount. I even bought one, blind, from Tong Yang. It's plastic, only cost $34, and retains the original hex look but without foglight openings. But has the molded-in pony emblem mount. Bummer.

I'm thinking of buying a second grille from Yang and cutting/sectioning a piece from one to fit in the pony mount, after I cut that out. Not sure if it's possible, as I think these grilles are ABS and might not be strong enough of a glue job to hold up. Also might look like crap. That would be Plan B.

Plan A would be to find a 'Bullitt' style grille for the '06. I can't find one. There are several mfg's who make one but they emphatically state it is only for the GT. It's not exactly the look I want, but probably closer than the kludge job I'd make out of gluing two grilles.

So...Is there a 'Bullitt' style grille for the base '05-'10 Mustang? Or can the GT 'Bullitt' grille be made to fit the base model? It seems like the Ford people would have kept the same grille mounts for both...So I'm curious as to what makes the 'Bullitt' so different??? Can it be sliced & diced to fit??? Has anyone done this???

Edit: Browsing YouTube, I noticed that my grille seems to have more chrome and smaller foglights than other S197 grilles... Which is a big part of why I'm not fond of it...

2006-V6.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
That grille reminds me of my first Stang a 1967 GT in Wimbledon White

67-Mustang-GT-2.jpg

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
IMO the smaller v6 foglamps look the best of all the factory grilles. Like the 67 posted. I dont care for the oversized "rally car" style ones in the GTs. I would have to do something if I had a GT. lol

richie9mt

Reaction score
I emailed LMR and asked why the GT 'Bullitt' grille wouldn't fit...Here's the reply -

The V6 grilles and bumper grill sections are smaller than the GT models and also have different mounting tab orientations. Therefore we list the LRS-8200Y grille specifically for the GT model vehicles and will not fit the V6 or GT500 bumpers. Installing a GT front bumper such as item LRS-17957E would be a direct install for this grille.

So the 'Bullitt' grille will work if you also replace the front bumper cover...and paint it to match car... :(

I blew up and printed out pics of the grille and the tabs are in the wrong places...

richie9mt

Reaction score
I compared pics of GT and V6 bumper covers...GT also uses GT-specific lower grille as well... :(

Mounting tabs for both upper & lower are different for GT and V6...tab-comparison.jpg

roddy

Reaction score
There are also a couple of 'extensions' needed to change to the GT bumper...2 small pieces that have to be riveted to the inside of the outside corners of the bumper cover. Personally, I prefer the clean lines of the V6 bumper cover. The Bullitt grille is my favorite of the OEM ones, but It's not worth a bumper change, IMO.

My '07 has just the horse...no fogs, no chrome surround. It still looks better than a cheezy grill cover, and if the horse really bothers you, there are black overlays for the horse to make it a little less shouty. I've learned to live with it...

P1000173.JPG

richie9mt

Reaction score
There are also a couple of 'extensions' needed to change to the GT bumper...2 small pieces that have to be riveted to the inside of the outside corners of the bumper cover.

Is that the attached pic/pieces??? Or does it require the boomarang shaped brackets???

end-pieces.jpg

roddy

Reaction score
It's been a few years, but I believe those are the ones.

MrBhp

Reaction score
And that one will be for sale soon.

richie9mt

Reaction score
If you were to switch to the Shelby GT bumper you could use the Shelby grill.

I saw those but didn't know what they were. I still like the 'expanded metal' look of the stock V6 grille, just without all the bars, chrome, and lights. Plain black, no goofy horsey stuff.

The more I hear about mounting the 'Bullitt' grille, everything it requires (bumper cover, end plates, lower grille, etc) and everything else it will require to mount it all on my V6 and relocate/delete my foglights (I had thought of just mounting them behind the 'Bullitt' grille), I'm having second thoughts... :(

I know there's going to be other parts/mods/stuff that will have to be done too. There always is. <sigh>. :\

roddy

Reaction score
...I know there's going to be other parts/mods/stuff that will have to be done too. There always is. <sigh>. :\

Yep, 'tis the nature of the beast...You'll just get the front done, then look at the back, and decide that big nasty fake gas cap has to go too!

Been there...

P1000189.JPG

richie9mt

Reaction score
I guess I'm being naive about wanting an unadorned grille. I just thought there must be many V6 owners who would like the bare look. The V6 is the base model, the lowest priced for those who admire the profile of the car. The front and rear views are pretty nice, too. I don't mind the 'college girl edition' comments, and the fact that anyone over 5'8" hits head & knees getting in & out. It seemed to me that most likely several vendors would offer a plain-Jane grille. Like they offer dual-exhausts that just bolt on (with a biy of cutting).

I even looked at stainless and aluminum 12" x 24" expanded sheet today. It has the look of the OEM grille enclosure. Stuff behind it would show up but I suppose horns & stuff could be painted.

Ya can't always get what ya want... :(

0M3GA

Reaction score
There are also a couple of 'extensions' needed to change to the GT bumper...2 small pieces that have to be riveted to the inside of the outside corners of the bumper cover. Personally, I prefer the clean lines of the V6 bumper cover. The Bullitt grille is my favorite of the OEM ones, but It's not worth a bumper change, IMO.

My '07 has just the horse...no fogs, no chrome surround. It still looks better than a cheezy grill cover, and if the horse really bothers you, there are black overlays for the horse to make it a little less shouty. I've learned to live with it...

View attachment 85122

That's one CLEAN mustang, details on those rims?

Terry

Reaction score
Hi Richie,

First of all I have to say I agree that the clean lines on the front of our S197's just looks racier (Shelby-esque) and much classier without the big fog light rally car look. I have the Shelby grills and they are good quality aluminum and give the car a mystique especially with the small pony grill emblem and no big horse in the middle like most every other Mustang. Not that I am worried about the horse emblem which is after all quintessential Mustang. It is the big fog lights that look ugly in my view. With my setup, I have had Mustang owners and other car aficionado's approach the car closer because they weren't quite sure what it was until they saw the small pony emblem and then you see them nod their head and up and down and silently mouth, "Oh oh, it's a Mustang!" Those interactions make my day :)

Now, as y'all know I'm sure, the S197 concept car was first debuted at the North American International Auto show in 2003. Wiki states, "the fifth generation Mustang drew inspiration from the first-generation 1964–1970 Mustangs." and also noted that it "has been described as retro-futurism".

In regard to retro part of that statement, I believe the S197 is the only modern Mustang you could sit next to a '67 fastback and the lineage is strikingly clear. I have added the chrome front bumper trim (its only plastic though)and the retro headlight surrounds both of which drag this car back in time like no other.

20210110_163817-jpg.85177

upload_2023-1-12_20-28-59-png.85174

Now I understand your pain in not being able to fit a custom bullet grill due to the V6 dimensions but if that's what it is then you can still come up with a winner. With all due respect, I think you are missing something really cool here. The 67 grill is what you have on your car. Wow!! The smaller grill lights make it classy and not rally like, and if you applied the chrome bumper and the retro lights, just think how cool that would be! Maybe some stripes and a grill on the rear side windows and I have also put chrome surrounds on the rear lights, again to garner that 67 look. I didn't realise your grill even existed on the S197, so I'm kind of blown away by that. If you made these mods and kept the grill you would be channeling the retro-futuristic look, like a Boss!!!

Good luck

Terry
Auckland, New Zealand.

Edit: Sorry, but I had an awful lot of trouble trying to post the images with this, and it is a bit meaningless with out them.
upload_2023-1-12_20-38-10-png.85175

upload_2023-1-12_20-47-35-png.85176

Last edited:

roddy

Reaction score
That's one CLEAN mustang, details on those rims?

Thanks! The wheels are Rays/Gram Lights 57XR, 18 X 9.5. I don't recall the offset though. They're fairly lightweight, @ ~19lbs. Bought them at an import shop.

Reaction score
Many options, why wouldn’t just remove fog or driving lights along with horse. That does sort of ruin front end. Go for look something as this (old photo)?

8020A6B8-2E0A-4576-A823-52923ACBEC1A.jpeg

JimC

Reaction score
the 2006 to 2009 Pony model was designed to look like the 1966 GT. I liked the pony grille on my 2006 and its retro style.

1966-ford-mustang-GT-front-right-side-view-promo.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back