Bad Sellers

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Just bought a used axle back set of Magnaflow street mufflers from "Kylar". I was told they were less than a year old. Come to find out, after I received them, he only had them for about a month and the previous owner said they were less than a year old. The flow tubes are all distorted and the packing in the mufflers sounds like sand if you tilt them back and forth. I talked to a Magnaflow rep, and he said to get the receipt and he would send me a new set because they have a lifetime warranty. I contacted Kylar, and that's when I found out that he had bought them used. Lesson learned on my part. I just wish people could be honest about the condition of the parts theyre selling, instead of lying about it!! Oh well, just wanted to warn everybody

I inquired about those as well and specifically asked about the packing inside them. He said everything was still nice and good to go with them, nothing loose inside. I ended up finding a set off eBay that I got instead, glad I waited and found those.

Saleen194

Reaction score
FWIW I once sold a set of very good condition GTA mufflers to someone who wasn't happy because there were loose parts floating around inside. They weren't loose when I sent them but somehow over the shipping process something broke up inside the cans. We sorted everything out. I'm mentioning this because they might of been in better condition when he shipped them. He might even be thinking that you are pulling something on him, that's what I thought when my buyer was talking about things that I knew weren't true. In the end I researched the subject and we were able to figure out what had happened.

Good luck in your resolution. Unless he said he was the original owner I can't see how him selling a used product could be an issue. Did you ask if he was the original owner?

Edit: Is this the ad in question? http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124832 Can you post pics of what you received?

Yes, that is the sale ad. He did not claim to be the original owner. I asked how old they were, and he said less than a year. He also said he didn't notice anything wrong with them. The mufflers sound like they have sand or gravel inside and the flow tubes are all distorted inside. I will try to post pics in the am tomorrow. Kylar offered no solution when I told him I was not happy with the purchase, and just told me I was being over dramatic. He said I got nice mufflers for half price of new. Just a difference of opinion on what "nice condition" is, I guess. I see he has more exhaust parts for sale on here, and I just wanted to warn anybody else who buys from him.

Saleen194

Reaction score
I inquired about those as well and specifically asked about the packing inside them. He said everything was still nice and good to go with them, nothing loose inside. I ended up finding a set off eBay that I got instead, glad I waited and found those.

Hopefully, yours will be in better shape than the ones I got

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
Ok first off I got the exhaust used from mustangtcs on here for $375. He told me they were less then a year old and in great shape. I never said i was the original owner or that i had a receipt. I then sold them to Saleen194 for $325, a guy with 6 posts(half in this thread) and 1 feedback, i should have known better.

I used them for about a month and decided to switch them out because im looking for a different sound. If you check my posts im a bit of an exhaust whore. Ive been through about 10 different exhausts looking for that Goldilocks sound. I try to buy them used and sell them used so i dont loose so much money in my experimenting.

I didnt notice any loose material, but i didnt try and shake it like a maraca either. As far as the "flow tubes" being distorted, i dont even know what that means.

They are used mufflers for half price of what they cost new, they look good, no rust, fit perfect on my car, and sound good. Not sure what else you can ask for in a used exhaust.

I asked him to try them out and see what he thought before he condemns them. He didnt like that answer and decides to flame me on the forums.

Well i think hes being a difficult buyer, and wouldnt recommend anyone selling anything to him.

This is my first negative feedback anywhere. I can give anyone references to hundreds of positive feedback on other forums, and around 1300+ feedback on ebay as well.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good time to remind buyers that sellers are not mind readers. If you have concerns or expectations about the item, tell the seller BEFORE you buy. Clarity about the transaction is good for both buyer and seller.

If the seller picks up a rookie buyer vibe, go the extra step and make sure the guy knows what he is getting. You are only saving yourself aggravation down the road.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Yes, that is the sale ad. He did not claim to be the original owner. I asked how old they were, and he said less than a year. He also said he didn't notice anything wrong with them. The mufflers sound like they have sand or gravel inside and the flow tubes are all distorted inside. I will try to post pics in the am tomorrow. Kylar offered no solution when I told him I was not happy with the purchase, and just told me I was being over dramatic. He said I got nice mufflers for half price of new. Just a difference of opinion on what "nice condition" is, I guess. I see he has more exhaust parts for sale on here, and I just wanted to warn anybody else who buys from him.

How were they shipped? Was it FedEx? I ask because fedex is the only shipping company I'm aware of who insures for declared value on every shipment. If it wasn't FedEx then was the shipment insured?

Since I've been though something similar I'm sticking my nose into this one. The usual solution is for either an insurance claim if something happened during shipping. If that's not possible then imo it comes down to treating the buyer/seller how you would want to be treated if the situation was reversed. In my situation I offered to buy the mufflers back but the buyer went ahead and installed them. After listening to them he still wanted them and it was the end of the dispute.

From what I'm seeing here it's just a bad thing that happened to both parties. The seller ships something that arrives in a different condition than it was shipped in. Lots of questions can be asked like did the buyer ask for insurance or did they want the cheapest shipping possible? It can go the other way by asking did the seller offer insurance although it's usually on the buyer to request it. This is one reason to use FedEx, they always insure for declared value.

I'd really like to see the pics and compare them with the sale ad pics. The sale ad pics have a username and date in them so it should be fairly easy to see if they have been mounted or modified when comparing pics.

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
How were they shipped? Was it FedEx? I ask because fedex is the only shipping company I'm aware of who insures for declared value on every shipment. If it wasn't FedEx then was the shipment insured?

Since I've been though something similar I'm sticking my nose into this one. The usual solution is for either an insurance claim if something happened during shipping. If that's not possible then imo it comes down to treating the buyer/seller how you would want to be treated if the situation was reversed. In my situation I offered to buy the mufflers back but the buyer went ahead and installed them. After listening to them he still wanted them and it was the end of the dispute.

From what I'm seeing here it's just a bad thing that happened to both parties. The seller ships something that arrives in a different condition than it was shipped in. Lots of questions can be asked like did the buyer ask for insurance or did they want the cheapest shipping possible? It can go the other way by asking did the seller offer insurance although it's usually on the buyer to request it. This is one reason to use FedEx, they always insure for declared value.

I'd really like to see the pics and compare them with the sale ad pics. The sale ad pics have a username and date in them so it should be fairly easy to see if they have been mounted or modified when comparing pics.

Ups and fedex both do $100 on every package regardless of what the declared value is. If you declare value above $100 there is an additional charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Ups and fedex both do $100 on every package regardless of what the declared value is. If you declare value above $100 there is an additional charge.

The FedEx I use always asks a declared value and it's part of the shipping charge. The FedEx form is written in a manner that requires the value to be specified. It gets really expensive when you ship a supercharger or other item of high value. They only insure against problems related to shipping damage.

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah $100 is free so if you put down declared value of $200, then it's like an additional 90 cents per $100. So the 90 cents would be added to the shipping charge.

Saleen194

Reaction score
Ok first off I got the exhaust used from mustangtcs on here for $375. He told me they were less then a year old and in great shape. I never said i was the original owner or that i had a receipt. I then sold them to Saleen194 for $325, a guy with 6 posts(half in this thread) and 1 feedback, i should have known better.

I used them for about a month and decided to switch them out because im looking for a different sound. If you check my posts im a bit of an exhaust whore. Ive been through about 10 different exhausts looking for that Goldilocks sound. I try to buy them used and sell them used so i dont loose so much money in my experimenting.

I didnt notice any loose material, but i didnt try and shake it like a maraca either. As far as the "flow tubes" being distorted, i dont even know what that means.

They are used mufflers for half price of what they cost new, they look good, no rust, fit perfect on my car, and sound good. Not sure what else you can ask for in a used exhaust.

I asked him to try them out and see what he thought before he condemns them. He didnt like that answer and decides to flame me on the forums.

Well i think hes being a difficult buyer, and wouldnt recommend anyone selling anything to him.

This is my first negative feedback anywhere. I can give anyone references to hundreds of positive feedback on other forums, and around 1300+ feedback on ebay as well.

First off, I didn't shake them like a maraca AHOLE! You sold me junk, I called you out on it, now you knock me as a bad buyer....What a dbag. If you would like me to post our entire text conversation, I will be happy to do so. If being a bad buyer is paying exactly 30 minutes after the deal was made, then I guess I'm a bad buyer...lol . And as far as my post count and experience with cars, etc., I'm a 49yr old man who is on his 5th Mustang. Just because I don't spend all my time on forums, does NOT make me a rookie, so suck it!

Saleen194

Reaction score
You also told me you bought them from someone on s197 forum, not mustangtcs.... another lie, get your story straight

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
You also told me you bought them from someone on s197 forum, not mustangtcs.... another lie, get your story straight

Dude, please read:

Mustangtcs is a member on here.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/member.php?u=12489

Not trying to be an a-hole about it, but you are sounding like you are going for his throat. By what he is saying, he is trying to work with you, but you are kind of being a hassle.

Post pictures of the exhaust that you have received, because judging by the sale ad, they look to be in pretty good shape.

Saleen194

Reaction score
I will get the pics up as soon as trick or treat is up, and if I can figure out how, I will video what they sound like when you turn them over, not shake them like a moraca.

Also, check post number 5, in his for sale ad

Last edited by a moderator:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

mustangtcs is a forum member. Posting pics is fairly simple. Use a host site like photobucket.com. Upload the pics there and use their img link to have them display here. Just copy and paste the image link to the post here.

I'm still wondering if you asked for insurance or if any conversation concerning shipping took place. Did you ask Kylar to do a buy back or did it just go into name calling right away?

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
First off, I didn't shake them like a maraca AHOLE! You sold me junk, I called you out on it, now you knock me as a bad buyer....What a dbag. If you would like me to post our entire text conversation, I will be happy to do so. If being a bad buyer is paying exactly 30 minutes after the deal was made, then I guess I'm a bad buyer...lol . And as far as my post count and experience with cars, etc., I'm a 49yr old man who is on his 5th Mustang. Just because I don't spend all my time on forums, does NOT make me a rookie, so suck it!

You dont sound very mature for a 49 year old guy with the name calling and bashing. I'm 37 and have had 4 mustangs and many other modified cars.

Feel free to post the texts and pictures, ive been nothing but professional with dealing with you. I think that says alot about my intent, my patience, and shows how i do business.

They are definitely not junk. They look good, fit good, and sound good.

Used mufflers are used, depending on the packing material used it does break in. Instead of getting so caught up on the sound youre saying they make when you shake them, try them out and see how they sound when you actually start the car. I can change an axle back in about 30 minutes, its not like its much time to invest.

As others have pointed out mustang tcs is a member here, so no im not lying.

mustangtcs is a forum member. Posting pics is fairly simple. Use a host site like photobucket.com. Upload the pics there and use their img link to have them display here. Just copy and paste the image link to the post here.

I'm still wondering if you asked for insurance or if any conversation concerning shipping took place. Did you ask Kylar to do a buy back or did it just go into name calling right away?

They were shipped UPS Ground, no extra ins.

He never asked for a refund, or partial refund. Once i asked him to try them out and see how they sounded and performed, he threatened me with "prepared to be burned on your feedback, ill make sure the forum is aware of it"

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
so he hasn't even hooked them up to see what they sound like before posting?
from your attitude, Kylar, I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from you. this other dude on the other hand....
jmo

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OP, you want a used part to be like new. You only get that if it is new.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
In Kylars original ad, speedboosted asked how the inside material was holding on the inside. Kylar responded with "they look fine"

So, my question being a 3rd party, how do you see inside the exhaust and visually confirm that the baffles/resonators are still intact? Same as catalytic converters go, after prolonged use the material insides gives and starts to deteriorate.

Saleen194 - to end this, install the mufflers, get a video and perform a sound text. If you can hear rattling at idle, or revving or a pinging noise, then you have a claim. Otherwise, mufflers should be fine as they are cleaned up nicely.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
In Kylars original ad, speedboosted asked how the inside material was holding on the inside. Kylar responded with "they look fine"

So, my question being a 3rd party, how do you see inside the exhaust and visually confirm that the baffles/resonators are still intact? Same as catalytic converters go, after prolonged use the material insides gives and starts to deteriorate.

Saleen194 - to end this, install the mufflers, get a video and perform a sound text. If you can hear rattling at idle, or revving or a pinging noise, then you have a claim. Otherwise, mufflers should be fine as they are cleaned up nicely.

Bingo. I asked that because when I took those off my car (V6 single exhaust at the time) I noticed the inside was beat to hell and you could hear what sounded like sand and other loose packing rolling around when turning them over. Now, I never noticed ANY difference in sound/tone since I had put them on when they were new.

I'd say this is a quality issue with Magnaflow honestly, but at the same time if Kylar said they were fine when I asked and I received them the same way this guy did, I would not be happy.

Back