Balancer - IW OR ATI? Standard diameter vs OD

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
Looking for an 8 rib standard diameter in an ATI but apparently they do not offer one off the shelf. You can have it special ordered for another $60 however. Innovators West offers the 8 rib in a standard diameter. I really wanted an ATI from the research I have done. You can separate the hub etc.. Has anyone used an ATI 8 rib standard diameter? Thoughts on either IW OR ATI? I did not want an 12% OD as I understand it's not great for the alternator etc... Thoughts?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I think they are both great companies and can't go wrong with either.

With that said I went with IW because I like the way it looked over ATI. Have the 8-rib 10% OD balancer.

c1b7c73811bd2d6cf0ab3d8921c4a207.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I went with ATI because I like basic black, later on found out they sell "blems" on ebay for a fraction of retail!! So check there first. It's if there's a scratch in the anodizing or something like that.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I went with ATI because I like basic black, later on found out they sell "blems" on ebay for a fraction of retail!! So check there first. It's if there's a scratch in the anodizing or something like that.

Do you have an 8 rib OD?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Looking for an 8 rib standard diameter in an ATI but apparently they do not offer one off the shelf. You can have it special ordered for another $60 however. Innovators West offers the 8 rib in a standard diameter. I really wanted an ATI from the research I have done. You can separate the hub etc.. Has anyone used an ATI 8 rib standard diameter? Thoughts on either IW OR ATI? I did not want an 12% OD as I understand it's not great for the alternator etc... Thoughts?

I remember reading when Ford did the Cobra Jet development they tested something like 10 different dampers. Only ONE performed better than the stock one which allows I think it's 2.5deg of crank twist (sound like a lot!!!). All the others showed more twist. The one that showed less twist than stock was the ATI. And that is what they went with for production. IDK what the other dampers were or how they performed, Ford didn't release that info. But from where I'm standing it's ATI or ATI.

You could run a 10% over on the crank and a bigger pulley on the top to keep boost the same. You will also get the added benefit of slightly more belt wrap.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have an 8 rib OD?

No, standard everything, but I think you are looking for a fairly common part.

I'm running an ATI damper not only for harmonic dampening but also because my accessory drive isn't being driven through a piece of elastomer. There's some loading there.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I remember reading when Ford did the Cobra Jet development they tested something like 10 different dampers. Only ONE performed better than the stock one which allows I think it's 2.5deg of crank twist (sound like a lot!!!). All the others showed more twist. The one that showed less twist than stock was the ATI. And that is what they went with for production. IDK what the other dampers were or how they performed, Ford didn't release that info. But from where I'm standing it's ATI or ATI.

You could run a 10% over on the crank and a bigger pulley on the top to keep boost the same. You will also get the added benefit of slightly more belt wrap.

So I should not worry about overdriving alternator? Sorry for dumb questions- this is my first time swapping/pulling a motor, so I am walking on egg shells

No, standard everything, but I think you are looking for a fairly common part.

I'm running an ATI damper not only for harmonic dampening but also because my accessory drive isn't being driven through a piece of elastomer. There's some loading there.

That's Interesting, spoke with ATI yesterday and they told me I would have to custom order it thru them. What part number are you using?

I was going to order the terminator/cobra balancer as the dimensions look to be the same; that's an 8 rib.

The dude there said I would have an issue with it hitting the front cover- apparently the backspacing is different. I am using a cobra crank with a 3.75" stroke BTW, so who the fuck knows. I just didn't want to spend 4 bones on it and it not fit.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
That's what an ATI rep told me as well when I was looking to purchase one.

But IW sells their balancers for all mod motors.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Here's something to consider - if you are worried about your alt, it will run 10% faster - If you go from 3.27 gears to 3.73 the rpm difference is nearly that substantial or more at a given road speed at overdrive. I crushed that math pretty fast, gotta go here, but look into it.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So I should not worry about overdriving alternator? Sorry for dumb questions- this is my first time swapping/pulling a motor, so I am walking on egg shells

It should be fine..............that said the stock 6G alternators are garbage and it will probably make me a liar.:omfg:

If you're really concerned you can put a OD pulley on the alternator.

One advantage is you will get better charging at idle. Sometimes nice with a blown car and the extra load from pumps/fans/stuff. I put a smaller pulley on my 2007 to get it to charge better at idle. I would only see 11.5v with all my crap running until 1800rpm before. Dimming lights when stopped and all that.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
I had the 10 % od lower and destroyed two regular alternators. They would just stop putting out 14v eventually. Would suggest bigger alternator pully to compensate

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have a standard diameter ATI damper in 8-rib...love it. No issues.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I have a standard diameter ATI damper in 8-rib...love it. No issues.

So you had them cut two additional Rob's into a 6 rib part? What was the total cost ?
Yes I had ATI cut the 2 extra grooves. It was $65 if I remember correctly. Plus the original cost of the damper itself.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW I've run a 10% od IW. It worked great. No problems with overdriving the other components. They do recommend sending it in for a checkup every two years iirc. Something to think about.

I would go with either the ATI or IW. At the very least make sure that whatever you buy is SFI rated. IMO overdrive is what to get. Better belt wrap, bigger blower pulley, more belt grip.

If you can find a Reichard Racing blower pulley to combine with the od balancer belt slip will be as minimal as it can be.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW I've run a 10% od IW. It worked great. No problems with overdriving the other components. They do recommend sending it in for a checkup every two years iirc. Something to think about.

I would go with either the ATI or IW. At the very least make sure that whatever you buy is SFI rated. IMO overdrive is what to get. Better belt wrap, bigger blower pulley, more belt grip.

If you can find a Reichard Racing blower pulley to combine with the od balancer belt slip will be as minimal as it can be.

Good stuff Bruce, thanks. When you guys say better belt wrap, you mean more surface area of the belt contacting a pulley?

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Good stuff Bruce, thanks. When you guys say better belt wrap, you mean more surface area of the belt contacting a pulley?
Belt wrap means that literally the belt is wrapped around the pulley more... So yes... There is more surface area in contact with each other. A larger crank pulley gets more belt wrap due to the position of the idlers on either side of the Crank pulley... The larger diameter crank damper moves the belt out toward the idlers forcing more belt contact on the crank. You could also increase the size of the idlers to get more belt wrap as this would move the belt inward toward the crank, but it would do nothing for boost levels. An oversized crank pulley does both... More wrap (for less slip) and higher boost levels.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I went with ATI for my GT500 after reading about a few IW failures. I have yet to install it, not even sure that I will. Seems like a few have had crank failures with the IW, if I'm not mistaken Lethal Performance had a failure running one.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back