Battery died suddenly - 07 GT/CS

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Will these cars not run on the alternator like the old cars? My battery died with no warning, I pushed it off and headed to the house. It started raining and I tried to put my windows up but they wouldn't go up.
I turned around to go get a battery and the lights quit, then the wipers, then the fuel pump wouldn't support more than 1/4 throttle.
I managed to pull under a shelter (at a nursing home) and got the windows up one at a time after I shut the car off.
I checked for codes and all I had was a P1000, but duh, the battery died, so sure it flashed that one.
I was afraid my alternator was going out. I got a new battery and all seems fine, but I remember driving 50 miles on the alternator with no battery in my '77 Celica GT.

G.T

Reaction score
Sounds like something is wrong with your alternator.. either the clutch or the regulator are gone or on their way out.

you should be able to jump the car without a battery and drive on the alternator supply alone

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I agree, sounds like your alternator is junk. I wouldn't leave it to chance, just get it replaced. Wouldn't want to see you stranded somewhere.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If that is the original battery, that is about all you get.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Funny this thread is here.
Went out this morning.
Car won't start.
Click. Click. Click.
'09 year model.
I'm guessing that's the end of the battery's life.

Now I'm wondering what to replace it with.
Tried & true lead acid battery
OR
Optima gel battery

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
This is my second battery, the OEM one died similarly 3 years ago.

I didn't check for codes after I got the battery in, but shouldn't it throw a code if it isn't charging properly? Even though it is a Premium Coupe, it doesn't have the 4 gauge cluster, so I can't monitor the charge output.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Went out this morning.
Car won't start.
Click. Click. Click.
'09 year model.

OR
Optima gel battery

I picked up the Optima AGM battery from Sears. #50747
Their application guide says it's not the correct size but it fits perfectly. I think it might be 3/8" taller than the stock battery size.

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me... Alternator is toast. Give it a few more days and the same issue will happen to you again, pay close attention to your battery gauge (if you have one)

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
Y'all were dead on, it started fine twice this morning. I got about five miles the third time when the traction control light came on. All the gauges and lights died before I got back home!

Going to pick up an alternator now...

stephen1371

forum member
Reaction score
I got one for you guys then. Alternator killed my battery, no big deal I bought a brand new one. A bosch alternator and a optimia yellow top. Have been running them for around 2K miles. Drove 600 miles round trip out of state. NOW the problem is since swapping them out I have had check charging system light and the battery light on the entire time. No loss in power everything gets out. No dimming of lights or any issues what so ever, but the lights remain on just the same. Any ideas?

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
I got one for you guys then. Alternator killed my battery, no big deal I bought a brand new one. A bosch alternator and a optimia yellow top. Have been running them for around 2K miles. Drove 600 miles round trip out of state. NOW the problem is since swapping them out I have had check charging system light and the battery light on the entire time. No loss in power everything gets out. No dimming of lights or any issues what so ever, but the lights remain on just the same. Any ideas?

What's the battery gauge reading?

itsslow

forum member
Reaction score
Y'all were dead on, it started fine twice this morning. I got about five miles the third time when the traction control light came on. All the gauges and lights died before I got back home!

Going to pick up an alternator now...

Glad you got it figured it out. My altenator went completely dead on a Friday night while going out with friends... all stores were closed so my car had to stay in a advanced auto parking lot over night :(

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
. No dimming of lights or any issues what so ever, but the lights remain on just the same. Any ideas?

My f250 did that with a cheap aftermarket alternator. It ended up being the diode which was failing inside the alternator. I drove to NC from Florida and back then a couple months later up to Illinois which is where it died the night after I got there. Replaced the alternator with an advance special to get me home then once I got home returned it and bought oem.

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
I have never had a battery last more than 3 years. Although I previously lived up north and the cold weather might have been a contributing factor to so many batteries dying.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
I have never had a battery last more than 3 years. Although I previously lived up north and the cold weather might have been a contributing factor to so many batteries dying.

R1V3R5:

And heat kills battery pretty quickly, too. The trick is to live in a moderate climate. Maybe those living in Hawaii have the longest battery life? :D

O.P.:

I don't understand much about electricity but I have read a few posts where a weak battery kills the alternator and, of course, a bad alternator kills a battery. I understand the second case but I need to find that thread again to find out how a weak battery kills the alternator. If I find it, I'll repost it for you.

Chris

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I probably turned a perfectly good battery in as a core. It was about three years old, the OEM crapped around 35-40k.
I have 102K now so it was about time. This is the first mechanical issue I've had so far. Just brakes, battery and tires, normal wear items.
I just changed plugs, hoses, motor mounts and belt a few weeks ago.
It has been a very dependable and fun ride for the last 6 years and I drive it like I stole it!

Last edited:

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Went out this morning.
Car won't start.
Click. Click. Click.
'09 year model.

OR
Optima gel battery

I picked up the Optima AGM battery from Sears. #50747
Their application guide says it's not the correct size but it fits perfectly. I think it might be 3/8" taller than the stock battery size.

GEL FTW

The GEL will take the beating of the road better then the lead based bar batteries, especially if you are lowered.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back