BBK Throttle Body issue.

Freeman_S197

Reaction score
I just installed my throttle body on my 06 gt. I assembled everything correctly and the car fires up and runs good but the tps voltage might be off possibly because I pulled it straight off the old one and put it on the new one. The car seems like it will idle up and down and it feels kinda hesitant under power. What should I set my voltage at? I really don't wanna put the stock one back on to find out is there a number I can go by? Thanks guys!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
BBK has a YouTube video on this, did u watch it?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I thought the BBk didn't need a tune adjustment.

Anytime the expected airflow for the tb blade angle is off by a certain percentage the car will go into failsafe. The tables that predict airflow are fairly complex and it's best to get the correct parameters in the tune.

Freeman_S197

Reaction score
Anytime the expected airflow for the tb blade angle is off by a certain percentage the car will go into failsafe. The tables that predict airflow are fairly complex and it's best to get the correct parameters in the tune.

What do you suggest I adjust. I do not have bama tunes I just made a 93 strategy tune myself. Obviously it's probably gonna be a wot a/f percentage adjustment correct?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've heard of several people having this issue with the BBK, never heard of anyone ever having this issue with the FRPP throttle body.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
What do you suggest I adjust. I do not have bama tunes I just made a 93 strategy tune myself. Obviously it's probably gonna be a wot a/f percentage adjustment correct?

Sell it and put the stock one back on.

Yes, I understand that, however BBk promotes the unit as a no tune required bolt on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_hTgk3iSXs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not embedded by intent, view the notes and video.

I realize they do, yet people still have issues with them. Here's a couple of snapshots from two tables used to predict airflow for blade position. The black numbers are for a stock 55mm tb and the colored ones are for a 62mm. As you can see there is a significant amount of more air and surface area. Putting a 62mm tb on without tuning for it just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Freeman_S197

Reaction score
Sell it and put the stock one back on.

I realize they do, yet people still have issues with them. Here's a couple of snapshots from two tables used to predict airflow for blade position. The black numbers are for a stock 55mm tb and the colored ones are for a 62mm. As you can see there is a significant amount of more air and surface area. Putting a 62mm tb on without tuning for it just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Sell it? I think I'll get it figured out before I do that, it seemed to help I just need to adjust the tps voltage I'm sure.

RideThePony14

Reaction score
When i swapped mine out the voltage was 1.21 volts. You should really just get the reading from your stock one to be sure.

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I suggest you sell it and put the stocker back on. I was data logging with Doug Bamachips with one back on 2006, using my car since it was a manual. Gained 1 whole hp on the dyno, and popped some codes. He had it popping codes on his auto as well on the street after several different tune adjustments. But we got it figured out, the solution was to swap back to the stocker. Oh, and change out the crappy stock TPS the early '05s came with.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
BBK 62mm TB

I have an SCT tuner from AM/Bama and have had a few new tunes made for me via internet.
I have never had it on a dyno and don't plan to.
My mpg using the 89 octane P tune runs beautiful and get's after warmed up 26+ mpg on dash readout. Normally averages 23 to 24 mpg.
I installed a used BBK 62mm and Bama sent a tune but it wasn't right, so I called and got another tune which made it run great and the driveability is better than with the 55mm tb! I want a slow tip in off of idle and this made it even better.
Since that I made a 4"/100mm aluminum MAF housing and got another tune for it and that is what I had on it for the above mpg info.

FWIW when I got it I did the following after observing the stock 55 one was very free and on the 62 one the throttle blades didn't operate smoothly, kind of binding up a bit. I removed screws/blades and the shaft was bent/arched and rubbing in the middle. I supported the ends and pushed down in center of shaft to get it straight, it may have taken a time or two. Reinserted shaft and it rotated very freely so I installed blades and used blue or red locktite on screws. Maybe I also put a rod in vise, positioned the screw head on it and using a center punch I dimpled the screw's expanding them.
I remember checking the tps but not enough to tell you what I had or did to it.

Last edited:

Freeman_S197

Reaction score
So my problem now is that I tried to adjust my voltage today. I put my stock one back on to find it out and it read 1.46 which is way off what the scale is on the instruction manual. I don't know if maybe I did it when I took it off the stock one or what. But all I know is I need help getting an accurate reading of what I need to set the tps at. The car is surging pretty bad at idle and while driving.

BirdMan65

Reaction score
I just made a 93 strategy tune myself.

You have a tuner? I will check my voltage later after I finish or get tired of working on dish washer (out pump not working).

Maybe if you have a tuner set the timing 2* more global and see what happens, and if not help remove 2* and check in the meantime.

I think?? I was having that problem and got another tune which resolved it.

I had an Injen CAI and it had a smaller diameter (2 1/4" or 2 1/2" maf mounting area) where the maf was so I made the larger one to flow more air. It probably didn't need but what the heck it didn't hurt driveability any.

Did you turn the tps any? Maybe take it off and using a screwdriver turn it and see if voltage changes? Maybe get a new tps, I don't think they are very costly and if not the issue then you will have a spare for when it does :idea:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Sell it? I think I'll get it figured out before I do that, it seemed to help I just need to adjust the tps voltage I'm sure.

The tuner I had prior to doing my own tuning would get calls about bbk throttle bodies from dealerships that had taken a car in trade. I was present one time when he got one of those calls.

His response was "take the bbk tb out of the car and replace it with a stock tb. Then put the bbk on the floor and beat it with a hammer until you are sure nobody can put it on a car".

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back