BBR...So frustrated with them... Time to vent!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I had 80s on my car that performed flawlessly...idk why no one can tune them....

I've had the sd 80s too. They worked great. I did buy mine as flow matched so that probably helped. It was a few dollars more but it's cheap insurance to make sure all the cylinders are getting the same fuel charge.

Some tuners will only tune what they know and will avoid anything that's given them problems in the past. IIRC the early value files for the 80s weren't correct so some tuners couldn't/wouldn't tune them. Can't say as I blame them. They want something they know will react as commanded and expected with as little fuss as possible.

There are tuners who will tune for them. Lito and Eric Brooks come to mind.

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Not surprised...although I don't see how the tune fucked up the first tranny bit I can believe everything else. Sucks man. I'm starting to thing BBR is just parts sellers.

Keith, easy. If you dont know what you are looking at in the parameters its easy to fuck one up.

You know what....I'm just realizing I assumed he had a manual for some reason. That's where my tranny comment came from. Yes now I can see where the tune could fuck it up, sorry.

cm581978

forum member
Reaction score
Not for anything, but if i have the same username right, he was praising BBR to the high heavens on another forum for quite awhile

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear OP but not surprising at all. I bought my XCAL 3 from BBR along with one of Chris's "tunes" loaded on it. My car through a lean code every time I took it up the road. 3 revisions later and the car running like garbage I took it to a local guy with a dyno, he couldn't believe how lean the tune was, he was afraid to even do a full pull with it. He had me put the stock tune back on and come back the next week and he dyno tuned it for $75 bucks after hearing how BBR had done 3 revisions and not fixed the problem. Btw the car was n/a with just a roush cai and a catted x-pipe at the time! LOL

stang8psi

forum member
Reaction score
tuning the 80's for the 05-10's is different than the 11+ cars. I would imagine it is like this due to fuel pressure between the two cars!

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that OP.

A couple of things to consider:

Plan out your build carefully
Spend a good amount of time researching parts, builders and tuners.
Consult with the builder and tuners and see what brands/combinations of parts they work with the most/feel comfortable working with and have the most experience. Ie. the 80 pounders... Some tuners like them while others stay far away.
Always double check the work before leaving the shop. A flash light and screw driver and 10 minutes can save you a lot of time and headaches down the road (pun intended). A'la paper in the intercooler, hose clamps, etc. while we want every mechanic to treat our cars with the utmost attention and be incredibly meticulous, mechanics are humans. They make mistakes, but a good shop should have someone double check!

Not defending bbr or bashing OP. just using OP's experience to highlight some tips. Similar things like OP's have happened to me. It still is inexcusable. Poor workmanship it seems.

2012gtcs

Reaction score
This is only one side to the story. Care to share the reason you posted it up today all of the sudden? :popcorneat:

Cause when my tranyy went BBR was the first person I called. Their answer.. Just bring us the car, we don't work on the trannys but we will pull it and send it the circle d. Lol like money and down time is no big deal for them. Than I talked to several other respected tuners and a ford tech who been with Ford 25 years. They all told me what I said in my original post. So I got fed up. I feel like an idiot going to them in the first place. And I was kinda told that by a few other people.. So that's it. Needed to vent. I don't want anyone else to experience my last 6-7 months of hell. Luckily I have a good friend of 20 plus years at ford that fixed my tranny under warranty for me.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
So, you praise them on another forum, but come here to bash them because you think you will get a blind following.

2012gtcs

Reaction score
tuning the 80's for the 05-10's is different than the 11+ cars. I would imagine it is like this due to fuel pressure between the two cars!

Your exactly right. That's why Monty explained that to me and provided me an awesome data logged tune to make sure it was perfect. He and JMS are stand up guys.

jlg333

forum member
Reaction score
So, you praise them on another forum, but come here to bash them because you think you will get a blind following.

he posted this exact same thread over at svtperformance. Unless you're talking about a different forum...

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
Paragraphs bro..

But anyways, next time do the work yourself and find a reputable tuner. Do one search on google about BBR and common sense would tell you to stay away.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score

Nope tried to stay loyal until I found out I was the sucker.

This is just typical human nature. We want to stay loyal to the person/company we are giving our money to and will often continue singing their praises even after problems begin to develop. Then once the situation backfires on us, we want to lash out at the person/company that betrayed our trust.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back