Best lug nuts...

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My Race Stars use washers that center the lug. I thought we were talking about Race Stars and replacing the lugs for those.

If you are using washers, are they not asymmetrical? Don't they sit in some kind of recess or tabs? I have washers on my old Cragar SS wheels and they center the lug in the hole. I only know of 3 kinds of lugs for wheels. Conical, Ball and Mag. The conical and ball use the shape of the bolt to center it. Mag style lugs use a washer to center the lug. In my 39 years of driving and wrenching on cars have I ever seen a wheel that allowed rotational movement of the wheel while it was bolted on.

Can you post up a pic of the front face of the wheel showing the holes for the lugs?

The ones I have are direct drill, I don't use those funny offset washers and they don't go in the hole at all they sit right on the outside of the drilled holes. The washers I used are just flat washers, not concave. I do use a hub centric ring though.

here are some pics.
20191130-200422.jpg

20191130-200428.jpg

and these are the lugnuts I use with the flat washers.
s-l1600.jpg

They are a bit small in the holes, just like the ones that you buy from racestar (which apparently are made out of butter)
The washers are also not a perfect fit in the hole just like the ones that came from racestar, I wouldn't think you want the washers digging into the sides of the bore in there anyway.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have the same wheels. The only way that the wheel is ever going to move and "slap" against the lug is if you break a couple studs or you destroy 4 out of the 5 washers. Once you torque down the lugs they will remain centered in the hole with no movement unless you actually break something. You need the proper size washers though. The soft slightly concave washers are meant to deform and dig into the sides of the bore when torqued down, that's exactly how it keeps the lug centered in the hole. Wiggling the lug inside the hole without it being screwed and tightened to the stud is not even close to being a good representation of how anything happens when you actually attach the wheel to the car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I have the same wheels. The only way that the wheel is ever going to move and "slap" against the lug is if you break a couple studs or you destroy 4 out of the 5 washers. Once you torque down the lugs they will remain centered in the hole with no movement unless you actually break something. You need the proper size washers though. The soft slightly concave washers are meant to deform and dig into the sides of the bore when torqued down, that's exactly how it keeps the lug centered in the hole. Wiggling the lug inside the hole without it being screwed and tightened to the stud is not even close to being a good representation of how anything happens when you actually attach the wheel to the car.
I get you now, I see what you're saying. I didn't use the racestar washers from the jump because of the reputation on "soft lugs" so these McGards don't actually touch the sides of the bore.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I get you now, I see what you're saying. I didn't use the racestar washers from the jump because of the reputation on "soft lugs" so these McGards don't actually touch the sides of the bore.

Yeah the RaceStar lugs are a joke and that was one of the first things I did was get some new ones. I continue to use their washers though as they actually work well.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back