Best lug nuts...

Discussion in 'Drag Racing Tech Discussion & Timeslips' started by redfirepearlgt, Sep 6, 2016.

1. fdjizm

fdjizm Drag Queen

The ones I have are direct drill, I don't use those funny offset washers and they don't go in the hole at all they sit right on the outside of the drilled holes. The washers I used are just flat washers, not concave. I do use a hub centric ring though.

here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and these are the lugnuts I use with the flat washers.
    [​IMG]

They are a bit small in the holes, just like the ones that you buy from racestar (which apparently are made out of butter)
    The washers are also not a perfect fit in the hole just like the ones that came from racestar, I wouldn't think you want the washers digging into the sides of the bore in there anyway.

2. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

I have the same wheels. The only way that the wheel is ever going to move and "slap" against the lug is if you break a couple studs or you destroy 4 out of the 5 washers. Once you torque down the lugs they will remain centered in the hole with no movement unless you actually break something. You need the proper size washers though. The soft slightly concave washers are meant to deform and dig into the sides of the bore when torqued down, that's exactly how it keeps the lug centered in the hole. Wiggling the lug inside the hole without it being screwed and tightened to the stud is not even close to being a good representation of how anything happens when you actually attach the wheel to the car.

3. fdjizm

fdjizm Drag Queen

I get you now, I see what you're saying. I didn't use the racestar washers from the jump because of the reputation on "soft lugs" so these McGards don't actually touch the sides of the bore.

4. 07 Boss

07 Boss Senior Member

Yeah the RaceStar lugs are a joke and that was one of the first things I did was get some new ones. I continue to use their washers though as they actually work well.