Best modification ever!!!!!

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
Well, maybe not to everyone, but for $80 (thanks to quiksilver05) I really couldn't be happier. The modification was installing UMI rear lower control arms. I don't know why the Mustang doesn't come with these installed! Not only is the car more planted under acceleration and slightly more so under deceleration, but the car does not get upset when going over bumps on the road, and when traction breaks away the car is more predictable, as opposed to kicking around from side to side like we've all seen in the Mustang crash compilation videos on YouTube.

So not only do these LCAs enhance performance, but they increase the safety of the vehicle since it is less prone to chassis disruptions when presented with bumps or hard acceleration/deceleration. Also, since the bushings are made of polyurethane, I do not notice any harsh vibrations or noise coming into the cabin as a result of the higher durometer of the these bushings compared to the junk bushings in the OEM LCAs.

If you don't already have some form of upgraded LCAs, I highly recommend you get some. Take a look at the difference between the OEM and UMI control arms.

10359400_10153147668643670_5892942849824461197_n.jpg

11046561_10153147668768670_1418131241510446972_n.jpg

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
Do you need to do the relocation brackets and upper control arm also?

I'm sure the internet will correct me but here I go...

My car is lowered with Eibach springs. I did not use relocation brackets and I still feel the benefits of stiffer bushings and tubular steel (as opposed to the stamped steel from the factory) and with that said, it's not totally necessary BUT if you want the full effect from better LCAs on a lower car then yes, you would need the relocation brackets. Ideally you want the LCAs to be parallel with the ground (mine are slightly angled upwards) and if you angle the LCAs more downward then you would further increase their effectiveness; more so for the drag strip.

As far as the upper control arm goes, I have not upgraded mine yet. I will in future upgrades but since my car spends more time doing autocross than anything else, I will wait on that one. I foresee the stiffening of the UCA bushings benefiting more so the straight line guys as this would reduce the change in pinion angle on hard acceleration and thus allow them to put the power down effectively, more controlled, and without creating unnecessary wear on the drive line.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I had a set of these same control arms on my '07 GT vert. It is a great bang for the buck.

And the reason that Ford doesn't put these on from the factory is simple...cost. Ford probably gets the stamped steel control arms for a fraction of the cost of tubular LCAs. And let's be honest, the vast majority of Mustang drivers couldn't care less.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
Glad they worked out for you man. I hade these on my 05 with relocation brackets and ultralight springs. Car hooked very well.

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, LCAs and the shifter should be the first things modded on S197s. I have UMI LCAs and an adjustable panhard bar, and couldn't be happier with the performance. UMI is located in central Pennsylvania. I was out that way on a business trip and arranged to pick up my parts at their factory to save on shipping. When I arrived, one of their engineers gave me a tour of their facility. When I left, he hooked me up with t-shirts and stickers. Great customer service and 100% made in USA. I know a lot of Mustang owners swear by BMR, and they are the leaders, but UMI is also great and should be considered.

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
Ford probably gets the stamped steel control arms for a fraction of the cost of tubular LCAs. And let's be honest, the vast majority of Mustang drivers couldn't care less.

That pretty much sums up why things on the Mustang are so squishy and sloppy. I mean lets face it, in the 60s the Mustang was made to be the cute secretary's car and over time it evolved to be the affordable muscle car for the blue collar American. That's not to say it's a bad car, no. The Mustang has a rich history and lots of pedigree but it also has a lot of cheap and squishy parts. :p Thankfully there is a vast aftermarket for these cars.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
If you feel the LCAs were a good upgrade add some BMR relo brackets. If lowered its a must have.

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
If you feel the LCAs were a good upgrade add some BMR relo brackets. If lowered its a must have.

Absolutely, that will happen soon in conjunction with shocks and struts.

UMI Sales

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear you're happy with the performance.

When you're ready for Relo Brackets and an UCA let me know! We also have the UCA mount for 05-10, and I have a pre-production 11-14 UCA mount on my desk :)

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Yup, I replaced my LCA a long time ago and will not look back.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Some of the Mustang's that eat shit in the Mustang week video's have $x,xxx's in suspension. It's just what happens when you have a bad driver, slick pavement, in a crowd of people to feed your ego, and a video camera to capture your greatest regrets. Don't be in that video.

UMI sells good shit. If I hadn't stole my J&M's, I'd have gone with UMI. I do have UMI's adjustable panhard though, another excellent product and price.

Gramps

Straight Grampin'
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear you're happy with the performance.

Of course! Soon I will have a few more UMI goodies on my Mustang but first, its time to take care getting a set of wheels and tires for the track for next weekend. More reviews to come. I considered doing a progressive build thread, but there are already great threads out there. We'll see...

Some of the Mustang's that eat shit in the Mustang week video's have $x,xxx's in suspension. It's just what happens when you have a bad driver, slick pavement, in a crowd of people to feed your ego, and a video camera to capture your greatest regrets. Don't be in that video.

UMI sells good shit. If I hadn't stole my J&M's, I'd have gone with UMI. I do have UMI's adjustable panhard though, another excellent product and price.

You're absolutely right about the egos and the slick pavement. That's why we should all keep the fun and games on the track, but I'm no hypocrite. :p Every once in a while I have to be a little stupid on the street in my Mustang, but not in traffic.

Do you guys think a rear upper control arm is a good idea too? Or are LCA and relocation brackets enough for now?

I already gave you my blurb; anyone else, please chime in. I would suggestion doing one modification at a time if this is your first venture into chassis/suspension modifications so you can gain a greater appreciation of what each component does and how it affects your vehicle. Plus, doing one thing at a time is a little easier on your wallet. :D

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you guys think a rear upper control arm is a good idea too? Or are LCA and relocation brackets enough for now?

Upper would complete the set. I have CHE's adjustable upper, had a local driveline shop do the final adjustment on it. No complaints, car plants straight as an arrow.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back