Trouble getting power down out of corners

Rickybobby

Reaction score
I race W2W in NASA Super Touring 4 and I am having trouble making my car competitive with the top tier in that class. After extensive testing we have found that my biggest problems is that I can’t put power down out corners (In some instances spinning the inside wheel out of corners) & Axle tramp when braking.

Current Mods include
Front: Custom MCS (1) Way Shock 750# Springs Ford Performance Bar BMR Tubular Arms w/ Poly Bushings Roll Center Ball Joint Bump Steer Toe Link 5.5° Deg Caster -3.7° Front Camber 14 3/8” Ride Height (Center Cap to Fender) 275/40-18 R7’s Ford Performance Race Spec Brembo Brakes

Rear: Custom MCS (1) Way Shock 250# Springs Steeda Race Upper Control Arm/Third Link 1° Pinion Ford Performance Aluminum Drive Shaft BMR Trailing Arms w/ Poly Bushings Steeda Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets Ford Performance T2 Torsion Differential Ford Performance Bump Stop UMI Adjustable Pandhard w/ Poly Bushings 15 1/8” Ride Height (Center Cap to Fender) 275/40-18 R7’s GT500 Rear rotor w/ OEM Caliper

Other Notes Stock ABS Stock Crossmembers No Strut Baces Full Roll Cage 3,500 Comp Weight

https://youtu.be/BXceu-dMBZI

Mustang Terlingua

Reaction score
I have Vintage raced a '67 Terlingua Racing Team for many years. Y'all steer a live axle Mustang with the throttle, I don't hear the engine tone change as you hang the ass out & then roll into the throttle off the exit & then punch it & then shift. The engine sounds like it is bogging in some corners I revved up on a straight as Ya'll enter the corner. What rear gear are Y'all running & 5 or 6 speed ? I run a 3:89 with a 4 speed. I know they are very different cars but still Y'all seem timid on braking. Y'all gotta stop to set the car to slightly turn the wheel & then throttle through the corner ta steer & roll in the throttle as you exit to smoothly put the power down. willow springs 10.04 006.jpg

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it'll be challenge to make an S197 really competitive in ST4, but at least the live-axle bonus you get next year will help a little. I've been competing in TT3 for the last 5 years, have dumped a lot of time and money into my car, and I still get smoked by Corvettes at certain tracks.

I agree that a better diff should make a noticeable (but likely not huge) difference. Something like a T-2R over your T-2 won't be terribly expensive (if you do the labor) and I think would be worth the investment.

I've found noticeable benefits for power delivery from shock tuning, so if you haven't already done that, it will only cost you testing time. If you're severely overdamped or underdamped in the rear, that will definitely cause traction and stability issues. Even if you think your setup is correct, it wouldn't hurt to turn the knobs a few clicks in each direction on a testing day to see what happens. Handling will be thrown off, but you can still evaluate corner-exit traction. Honestly, I'm surprised you're not understeering a lot with a 750/250 spring setup. I tried a similar setup a while ago (800/275) and dropped seconds per lap by changing to either 550/250 or 800/325. I think you would need a really stiff rear sway bar (which isn't ideal) to get the car to rotate easily with a 750/250 setup.

It's a little hard to judge from your video, but it seems like you're a bit timid getting on the gas. However, it's impossible to tell if that's because you've tried pushing harder and just get wheelspin. I haven't driven Ozarks yet, so I'm not sure what to expect for corner speeds. If you've driven any tracks with NASA GL recently and have AiM (or similar) data, shoot me a PM. We can compare data and see if there are any obvious gaps.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it'll be challenge to make an S197 really competitive in ST4, but at least the live-axle bonus you get next year will help a little. I've been competing in TT3 for the last 5 years, have dumped a lot of time and money into my car, and I still get smoked by Corvettes at certain tracks.

I agree that a better diff should make a noticeable (but likely not huge) difference. Something like a T-2R over your T-2 won't be terribly expensive (if you do the labor) and I think would be worth the investment.

I've found noticeable benefits for power delivery from shock tuning, so if you haven't already done that, it will only cost you testing time. If you're severely overdamped or underdamped in the rear, that will definitely cause traction and stability issues. Even if you think your setup is correct, it wouldn't hurt to turn the knobs a few clicks in each direction on a testing day to see what happens. Handling will be thrown off, but you can still evaluate corner-exit traction. Honestly, I'm surprised you're not understeering a lot with a 750/250 spring setup. I tried a similar setup a while ago (800/275) and dropped seconds per lap by changing to either 550/250 or 800/325. I think you would need a really stiff rear sway bar (which isn't ideal) to get the car to rotate easily with a 750/250 setup.

It's a little hard to judge from your video, but it seems like you're a bit timid getting on the gas. However, it's impossible to tell if that's because you've tried pushing harder and just get wheelspin. I haven't driven Ozarks yet, so I'm not sure what to expect for corner speeds. If you've driven any tracks with NASA GL recently and have AiM (or similar) data, shoot me a PM. We can compare data and see if there are any obvious gaps.

What car do you compete with in TT3? What mods do you run?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back