Best way to test fuel pumps?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I set fuel pressure at 44 psi then took off to log in was supposed to make a pull from 2000-6000 but it leaned out at 4000 rpm so I lifted. Fuel pressure didn't drop under 40 on the Guage but on the log it said under load it was in the high 20s low 30s

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
On Friday I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and when I started it up fuel pressure shot up to 58 psi at idle, I let the car warm up it stayed at 58. I then adjusted the regulator to 44 psi before I made this pull

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
So the mechanical gauge says 40 psi? And the PCM is reporting 20 psi? Sounds like the FPRS is bad or it has a vacuum issue. Do you have any reason to doubt the mechanical gauge?

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
So the mechanical gauge says 40 psi? And the PCM is reporting 20 psi? Sounds like the FPRS is bad or it has a vacuum issue. Do you have any reason to doubt the mechanical gauge?

It's reading 40 psi idle and cruising around, when I floored it fuel pressure Guage didn't climb it stayed steady around 40 psi then AFRs started going into the 12s. What should vacuum be at at idle? I'm sitting at 8-10, shouldn't it be around 15?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
hmmmm... So you can now rule out the Hobbs switch for sure since the symptom did not go away but rather stayed the same. Simply increasing the pressure is only going to put a band-aid on the problem and cause you to lean out higher up in the RPM range at WOT in my opinion. If you had a megger you could test the integrity of the windings but i doubt they are breaking down or you would be likely experiencing fuses blowing. However brushes wearing down and dust buildup from that process could cause increased resistance which would cause the pump motor to run at reduced efficiency as someone else has mentioned. if you knew the static resistance of the armature of a new motor you could check yours to see if they have increased resistance which would then be reason to pull and have load tested. That's all I have for you on this. The Fore Innovation module could be limiting voltage to the pumps due to an issue within that module but you can verify that by measuring voltage feeding the pumps.I doubt that would be it however. Last you may wish to check to see if the pumps aren't clogged on the entrance side causing your restriction down in the pump. BTW running E-85? Are the pumps and lines rated for E-85 if so? Not for flow but for resistance to break down by the E-85. Someone I knew had an issue with that after goign to E-85 some years back when that trend first started catchign on.

Let us know what you find. I'll ask some guys at work and if I get anythign aside from failing pumps or clogs I'll post up.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
It's reading 40 psi idle and cruising around, when I floored it fuel pressure Guage didn't climb it stayed steady around 40 psi then AFRs started going into the 12s. What should vacuum be at at idle? I'm sitting at 8-10, shouldn't it be around 15?

Vacuum at idle on factory cams will be 15-17 inches depending on tune. Brenspeed Detroit rockers I had in the 05 allowed the car to make about 9 inches at idle.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
I pulled them a few days ago to check if they were clogged and they were a little dirty so I cleaned them up. Those pics are seconds after pulling them out of the tank. They cleaned up real nice after. I also went ahead and installed a new AEM filter as well.

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
hmmmm... So you can now rule out the Hobbs switch for sure since the symptom did not go away but rather stayed the same. Simply increasing the pressure is only going to put a band-aid on the problem and cause you to lean out higher up in the RPM range at WOT in my opinion. If you had a megger you could test the integrity of the windings but i doubt they are breaking down or you would be likely experiencing fuses blowing. However brushes wearing down and dust buildup from that process could cause increased resistance which would cause the pump motor to run at reduced efficiency as someone else has mentioned. if you knew the static resistance of the armature of a new motor you could check yours to see if they have increased resistance which would then be reason to pull and have load tested. That's all I have for you on this. The Fore Innovation module could be limiting voltage to the pumps due to an issue within that module but you can verify that by measuring voltage feeding the pumps.I doubt that would be it however. Last you may wish to check to see if the pumps aren't clogged on the entrance side causing your restriction down in the pump. BTW running E-85? Are the pumps and lines rated for E-85 if so? Not for flow but for resistance to break down by the E-85. Someone I knew had an issue with that after goign to E-85 some years back when that trend first started catchign on.

Let us know what you find. I'll ask some guys at work and if I get anythign aside from failing pumps or clogs I'll post up.

I can give fore a call in the morning and see what they have to say about their module. That's the last thing besides replacing the pumps and I doubt all 3 are going out at the same time. All 3 fuses in the module are good, somethings shorting out for sure

Sonicblue_s197

forum member
Reaction score
There's the issue. The hose clamp on one of the pumps was half off and it was loosing pressure thru there dumping fuel back into the tank. I replaced the hoses and tightened everything up and its working good now, it reads 44 psi at idle and reached 60 psi throughout the pull

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Good find. And it didn't cost much to fix....WIN! WIN!!!

Last edited:
Back