big red race valve

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
so pulleys are the only way to change boost? Im trying to get on the dyno next week and my pulley is suppose to make around 22psi and im looking for 17-19 but my gauge was only reading about 9psi.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
so whats the adj bolt on top of the big red for?
You can adjust how tight or loose you want the valve. If you tighten it up, it'll only slightly open at idle. With it loose, it'll be wide open at idle. Regardless of what you do with the bolt, it will be closed tight at WOT and have no effect on boost.

If you're only seeing 9lbs on a 22lb pulley you have a severe boost leak somewhere.

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
A wastegate controls boost. A boost controller controls the wastegate.

really? I thought the boost controller just sat there... I assumed most people know that a boost controller is run to the wastegate... seeing as if you have a turboed car and don't run off the spring you would know this.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I actually don't have a turbo'd car, but when I did (twin turbo 03 Cobra), I controlled boost with the wastegates only by swapping out springs.

t-kid

forum member
Reaction score
I actually don't have a turbo'd car, but when I did (twin turbo 03 Cobra), I controlled boost with the wastegates only by swapping out springs.

That's pretty hood rich.

1152463_o.gif

Godzirra

Asian Idiot
Reaction score
so pulleys are the only way to change boost? Im trying to get on the dyno next week and my pulley is suppose to make around 22psi and im looking for 17-19 but my gauge was only reading about 9psi.

Seems like you've got some issues somewhere...
Pulley supposed to make 22.
You want 17-19
Gauge reads 9....
Need to go over for leaks in piping, intake mani torque'd to spec? etc....Check the gauge. No way pulley is supposed to make 22 and only making 9...

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
might also want to double check how tight the belt is, with a previous setup i thought the belt was tight enough and was running alot lower boost after talking to procharger a handful of times we just cranked it tighter and fixed it

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The adjustment is to adjust your effective spring pressure in the bov based on your idle vaccuum for best performance.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct. For a supercharger setup to make it the most repsonsive you would adjust it at idle so the spring is just barely weaker than vac, enough for vac to overcome the spring and stay open at idle and then it should fully snap shut right away when you rev it and the vac goes away. On a turbo car you want the opposite, you want spring pressure strong enough to keep to the bov fully closed at idle and be stronger than vac, then it should snap open after a rev at idle then shut again. This is due to the way blowers move alot more air at idle comapred to a turbo with no load.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Correct. For a supercharger setup to make it the most repsonsive you would adjust it at idle so the spring is just barely weaker than vac, enough for vac to overcome the spring and stay open at idle and then it should fully snap shut right away when you rev it and the vac goes away. On a turbo car you want the opposite, you want spring pressure strong enough to keep to the bov fully closed at idle and be stronger than vac, then it should snap open after a rev at idle then shut again. This is due to the way blowers move alot more air at idle comapred to a turbo with no load.

Interesting, I will check mine with the new cams then.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back