BigPappy33's 5.4L GT500 Swap

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah not going to pay anywhere near that but to selling who said I would want to every sell it

Boozshey

Reaction score
The difference between the iron and aluminum block is 120lbs. I'll pass for the price difference.

BLKBULLITT

forum member
Reaction score
Since the question really wasnt answered...

How much do the engine and transmission out of a regular gt500 thats in your guys' cars go for? Including the wiring harness..

Im not looking to get it done anytime soon I just want to know what kind of numbers I need to look at for the future.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Since the question really wasnt answered...

There is a reason it wasn't really answered. I do not share my prices.

You have the ability to look at for sale threads, search eBay, and browse other forums on the cost of a motor and the cost of the trans, and should have a good understanding of the costs of those since those are a big part of the swap.

After that you can look at 80-100 hours in labor.

Again, I do not share my prices and those who I do the swap with are asked not to share it either.

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
Got the car on the Dyno, Made 566 RWHP and a glorious tarmac melting 550 RWTQ at 12.51 lbs of boost. Will have the sheet up once I get it emailed to me (too lazy to scan mine). But I know you guys love videos so here is a clip on the dyno.

Dude, OMG. I love it! That sound is so..... so...... God-like. I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

Edit* Is it wrong that I'm playing this video on replay? LMAO

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Hahaha @ Mikes comment, i don't know how your doing it.. I'd be nuts waiting for mine to be dropped off and done! You better come by when it is all done buddy! You know where i reside.

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
There is a reason it wasn't really answered. I do not share my prices.

You have the ability to look at for sale threads, search eBay, and browse other forums on the cost of a motor and the cost of the trans, and should have a good understanding of the costs of those since those are a big part of the swap.

After that you can look at 80-100 hours in labor.

Again, I do not share my prices and those who I do the swap with are asked not to share it either.

I did some research and see what those costs are but is there a place I can go to find a list of what all is needed for the swap?

Boozshey

Reaction score
I did some research and see what those costs are but is there a place I can go to find a list of what all is needed for the swap?

Not that I know of. In all honesty and not trying to be a dick or make myself sound bad ass. But if you can't figure out what all would be required then I am not sure you would be able to accomplish the swap alone.

It looks easy and I am not saying it brain surgery, but it's a lot more complex than bolt ons and strapping a blower to a 3v. But it is very time consuming and if you don't know what you are doing then you will most likely run into bigger problems in the end...

rednek01

TangerMean!
Reaction score
Not that I know of. In all honesty and not trying to be a dick or make myself sound bad ass. But if you can't figure out what all would be required then I am not sure you would be able to accomplish the swap alone.

It looks easy and I am not saying it brain surgery, but it's a lot more complex than bolt ons and strapping a blower to a 3v. But it is very time consuming and if you don't know what you are doing then you will most likely run into bigger problems in the end...

I have turned a ton of wrenches and done a couple engine swaps so I am pretty experienced however there are still small odds and ends that either get missed or you don't realize till you are knee deep in a swap. I didn't know if maybe you had a checklist or something. I would much rather have as much up front that I need rather than hunting it down during the
swap.

Last edited:

iRoush

Roush God
Reaction score
Retro, I'm fucking dying bro. lol. BTW, I have all the parts you want man, let me know when you wanna chill. Maybe grab lunch. Unless you wanna wait until the next weekend and I might have my car. :)

Pappy, I hear ya! lmao.

Rednek01, The best thing to do is find a friend with a GT500 and rear end it so bad that they will just go buy a new one. From there, buy their car off of them and use it as the donor and then sell the rest of it. LMAO!

Boozshey

Reaction score
I didn't know if maybe you had a checklist or something.

I look at the car and it's my checklist. I have everything down to an art and order that a formal checklist really isn't needed. Just start inside out until it's done.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
What kinda mpg are we seeing with the intakes tunes pilots and exhaust?

Boozshey

Reaction score
11mpg around the city and 15mpg on the highway. That's with 4.10's and a different tuner than who Big Pappy used.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Not sure, when I was getting tuned I blew my clutch out. All we could tell was I was at 505 at 2500rpms which was right before the clutch should slip. Figuring I had another 4000rpms we are guesing in the 580 realm.

But I won't be back on a dyno until after the car gets back from paint.

stang389

forum member
Reaction score
What's the stock clutch usually good till? And damn reliable 580 rwhp

Boozshey

Reaction score
They are flakey cause of the TSB they have out for these cars. Some are good to 700 and then there is mine... So it all just depends on the year of car and if it's pre or post TSB.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back