Bilstein Info

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I did some research and had a conversation with Bilstein a couple of months ago and learned the following.

Fitment

Rear

Bilstein P/N 24-122245: Fits '05-'14 Mustang GT

Front*
Bilstein P/N 35-212676: Fits '11-'14 Mustang GT and GT500
Bilstein P/N 35-128717: Fits '05-'10 Mustang GT and GT500 (maybe up to '11?)
*This is really more about top mount than the strut housing. Damper insert info is below.

35-128717 cross references to F4-VE3-C871-H0 according to a table on the Bilstein site

Front Specs

P/N__________Extended Length (in.)_____Compressed Length (in.)_____Valving
35-128717__________21.04___________________17.87____________127/96
35-212676__________22.16___________________18.90____________127/96

As you can see, 35-128717 is preferable for lowered cars since it's an inch shorter on both lengths. I will probably call them back today to determine max spring rates for the front and rear.

If this is posted somewhere else, I apologize. A search yielded nothing usable as compared to the above.

-Andy

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's shorter because of the different top mount design on the '11+ cars.

In order to use '05-10 struts on my car, I had to install two spacers that came with my Maximum Motorsports plates.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
What are the units for those 'Valving' numbers? My searc-fu for that table is pretty weak this morning.
It's rebound/compression and I believe the units are damping force divided by damping speed, or something like lbs / in/sec.

I can confirm when I call Bilstein. Maybe zey use ze German units.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
It's rebound/compression and I believe the units are damping force divided by damping speed, or something like lbs / in/sec.

I can confirm when I call Bilstein. Maybe zey use ze German units.
Might want to ask what piston velocity/velocities they were taken at (or perhaps between).

Norm

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Might want to ask what piston velocity/velocities they were taken at (or perhaps between).
That's the plan; one number doesn't seem sufficient.* Then again I've never been satisfied with one mu number for a brake pad. "OK, at what temperature? How does that vary over the expected temperature range of the pad? What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

*This would more be to satisfy my curiosity than make an actual decision. At least not yet.

Mustang259

forum member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, shock warehouse.com was mentioned in an earlier post and I have been shopping Bilstein shocks, sent them an email to find out if they offered a discount code for forum members and here is their reply:
Duane, thanks for contacting us, you can use code stang5 for 5% off your order (you can share that with the folks on the forum too)
So if you are buying from them, at least you can ease the cost a little.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out why they are only making B6 series dampers for our cars when the B8 series are specifically for lowered applications? Are the PNs in OP really designed for stock ride heights? Or Bilstein's website is out of date? Is Bilstein's monotube design less sensitive to ride height changes?

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out why they are only making B6 series dampers for our cars when the B8 series are specifically for lowered applications?
I haven't, but would be curious to know. My only observation is that the product offerings for our cars are very limited.

Are the PNs in OP really designed for stock ride heights? Or Bilstein's website is out of date? Is Bilstein's monotube design less sensitive to ride height changes?[/
No indication from Bilstein as to the design intent, but they can tolerate mild lowering. At least as much as I've ever thrown at them. But I don't hard park at stance events. :)

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
From my build thread:
[FONT=&quot]Revalve service on struts starts at $160.00 each plus round trip shipping and any applicable tax. Any compromised components (piston rod, mounting hardware, etc.) are additional. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our current lead times are at 4 to 6 weeks from date of receipt. Rush service is available, if all components are in stock, and reduces the lead time to 1 week from date of receipt, but it does add an extra $100.00 to each damper.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don’t recall what the OE spring rates are for your vehicle, but I have spoken to several individuals that run heavy spring rates, front and rear, on the Mustangs and have commented that they ride great with the off the shelf aftermarket shocks. I personally find this hard to believe, but this is what I have been told. In my opinion, and if it’s in your budget, I would run them with your new springs and evaluate the ride. Since we are going to revalve it would be best to get your ride comments so we can tailor the shocks to your preferred level of performance. If it’s not in your budget we can make an intuitive change based off your primary goal.[/FONT]
So the plan is to run what I have, develop feedback for improvement, and eventually get a set revalved. Given that Cali is the only place they'll rebuild, I'm hopeful I can simply have them pull stock, revalve, and ship them to me in an effort to avoid at least one leg of shipping.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I did some research and had a conversation with Bilstein a couple of months ago and learned the following.

Fitment

Rear

Bilstein P/N 24-122245: Fits '05-'14 Mustang GT

Front*
Bilstein P/N 35-212676: Fits '11-'14 Mustang GT and GT500
Bilstein P/N 35-128717: Fits '05-'10 Mustang GT and GT500 (maybe up to '11?)
*This is really more about top mount than the strut housing. Damper insert info is below.

35-128717 cross references to F4-VE3-C871-H0 according to a table on the Bilstein site

Front Specs

P/N__________Extended Length (in.)_____Compressed Length (in.)_____Valving
35-128717__________21.04___________________17.87____________127/96
35-212676__________22.16___________________18.90____________127/96

As you can see, 35-128717 is preferable for lowered cars since it's an inch shorter on both lengths. I will probably call them back today to determine max spring rates for the front and rear.

If this is posted somewhere else, I apologize. A search yielded nothing usable as compared to the above.

-Andy

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but just wanted to provide some updated info from 2 Bilstein tech support reps I spoke with on the phone recently who confirmed that it is in fact the Bilstein B6 HD dampers which are included with their B12 Pro Kit lowering spring package and not the B8 dampers that were printed on the B12 Pro Kit's product description. Also just an FYI Andy, the dimension specs provided between P/N's 35-128717 and 35-212676 are the differences in design between the top mounts for the '05-'10 Mustang GT/GT500 vs '11-'14 Mustang GT/GT500. Other than that, the Bilstein B6 HD dampers have the same length as OEM dampers. Anyway, here's the most recent info obtained from the Bilstein tech support reps I recently spoke with.

Just got off the phone with Bilstein tech support regarding the product info description about the Bilstein B12 Pro kit. I was informed the info in the product description stating the dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit for 2005-11 and 2011-14 Mustang GT/Shelby GT500 models are B8 dampers, is incorrect. When I questioned him about this, he claims that Bilstein has never designed nor offered B8 dampers for the S197 Mustang platform, but rather only the B6 dampers have ever been available and designed exclusively for the S197 Mustang platform for both OE ride height and lowering spring applications. In addition to claiming the B6 dampers are the actual correct dampers included with the B12 Pro Kit, he also brought to my attention the info provided in the product description regarding the B8 dampers are considered as generic and intended more towards the global international market, rather than exclusively for just the U.S market or for any specific platform. At any rate, the tech support rep I spoke with also strongly recommends that until the product description on the Bilstein website has been corrected/updated with the accurate info? do not rely on the product description info for the B12 Pro Kit, as it is inaccurate. Btw: Steeda Autosports has also confirmed on their product description, the dampers included with the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit are also in fact B6 dampers.

https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-mus...6-228888.html#/filter:ss_ymm:Mustang$253E2006

It's shorter because of the different top mount design on the '11+ cars.

In order to use '05-10 struts on my car, I had to install two spacers that came with my Maximum Motorsports plates.

Totally agree, as the Bilstein tech support rep also confirmed this as well. :waytogo:

DieHarder

Reaction score
If it means anything I've been running the B6's with Roush springs (about an inch lower than stock) for about 2 years now. I've also replaced all rubber bushings with urethane. Good handling, comfortable, compliant ride and no suspension noise issues to report.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Knowing the Roush springs lower the front/rear suspension by one inch when paired together with B6 dampers isn't a significant difference over stock that would require updating to struts/shocks which have shorter shafts designed exclusively for most lowering spring applications. However, when it comes to lowering the suspension beyond 1-1.4 inches?

IMHO I don't think the B6's would be compatible to use w\ these Eibach Pro's or any lowering spring for that matter because from what I've read the B6's that fit S197's (used my '09 GT) are designed to be used w\ OE springs thus are specifically tuned for OE ride height's effective stroke travel length w\ no mention of usage w\ lowering springs so if used w\ a lowering spring the risk of damage to damper (the nitrogen chamber) on full compression (bottoming out) will be high but also some control fidelity would be reduced. As I have said in my earlier post.....if the description doesn't specifically state that they're compatible to be used w\ a lowering spring then don't assume that they are.......

So if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't use these Bilstein B6's w\ these Eibach Pro springs unless you don't care about damaging them or any warranty concerns if they do become damaged.............my 2 cents.

In addition to being designed for the OE ride height, perhaps the B6 dampers may also be compatible for mild lowering applications? but as mentioned above, unless the description clearly states the dampers are also designed for and compatible with most lowering spring applications? don't always go by an assumption that they all are :shrug:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back