boss block rotating assembly options?

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
now that the boss block has been out for awhile, has anyone seen bundled rotating assemblys for them? i know a few vendors offer complete shortblocks,, but i havent seen much offered either in bundle packages or individually sold components? im just curious to cross compare (*window*) shopping.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
It is the same crank and rods as any mod engine build. Modmax has a few different piston choices available for the 3.7 Bore

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
It is the same crank and rods as any mod engine build. Modmax has a few different piston choices available for the 3.7 Bore

forgive my ignorance, i really dont know very much about this. i can use any piston for a 4.6 with a 3.7 bore? does a 4.6 crank work?

holcombford

forum member
Reaction score
I can bundle you something together. Let me know what you are looking for

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
fuel, i know you did a lot of research, whats a reasonable range of higher compression one could run on 93 octane with a forged RA? i have e85 in my area, but i dont want to limit where i can drive the car, so using e85 exclusively isnt viable to what my goals would be. also, are 3.7 bore pistons very common? id hate to build to something that didnt have a common part associated to it in case down the line i need to rebuild. i dont want to have to buy extremely expensive components that arent off the shelf so to speak.

Last edited:

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Go to modmaxracing.com, choose pistons then choose 3v. There are more than one manufactuer on there that has shelf 3.700 Pistons. I would go with a stock cr if you want to run pump gas. I know they have Manley, Wiesco for sure in a big bore for the 3v heads. Some are stroker and some are stock stroke.You can do a standard stroke crank and rod or a stroker crank and rod in the big bore just the same as a big bore, the pistons are all that changes.

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
Forgive me but im not sure if your looking to beef it up or change geometry of the rotating assembly.

There are differences between the 4.6L and 5.0L naturally.

5.0L Coyote/Roadrunner Stock
Bore: 3.629"
Rod: 5.933" (same)
Stroke: 3.649"
Crank: Uses the same main and rod journal dimensions but front nose is 6mm longer than OEM 4.6L. Also fully counter weighted vs OEM 4.6L crank.

4.6L
Bore: 3.552"
Stroke: 3.543"

Not sure what your goal is but i was cringing in my seat hearing of 4.6 parts in a boss.

v8venomgt

forum member
Reaction score
Go to modmaxracing.com, choose pistons then choose 3v. There are more than one manufactuer on there that has shelf 3.700 Pistons. I would go with a stock cr if you want to run pump gas. I know they have Manley, Wiesco for sure in a big bore for the 3v heads. Some are stroker and some are stock stroke.You can do a standard stroke crank and rod or a stroker crank and rod in the big bore just the same as a big bore, the pistons are all that changes.
really? i thought bumping it up a little bit would be ok with the right internals? maybe thats just a coyote thing? haha

Forgive me but im not sure if your looking to beef it up or change geometry of the rotating assembly.

There are differences between the 4.6L and 5.0L naturally.

5.0L Coyote/Roadrunner Stock
Bore: 3.629"
Stroke: 3.649"
Crank: Uses the same main and rod journal dimensions but front nose is 6mm longer than OEM 4.6L. Also fully counter weighted vs OEM 4.6L crank.

4.6L
Bore: 3.552"
Stroke: 3.543"

Not sure what your goal is but i was cringing in my seat hearing of 4.6 parts in a boss.

by boss block i meant the *new* boss iron block that can accept 3v heads

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm running 92 octane with 12:1 compression on my big bore boss.

Remember these combinations:

4.6 crank, 5.933" (stock 4.6 and 5.0) rods, 1.220" compression height on the pistons. That combo will give you 304 cubic inches.

3.750" crank, 5.850" rods, 1.200" compression height on the pistons. 322 cubic inches.

3.8" crank, 5.850" rods, 1.150" compression height on the pistons. 326 cubic inches.

You can also use 5.950" rods and lower the compression height by .1. It puts the wristpin in the oil groove though.

BTW the Big Bore Boss block has been out for quite awhile. It will work with 2v, 3v, or 4v heads.

Back