Boss Intake

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Ok, I just picked up a stock 2011 Mustang Gt. Has a 2013 drivetrain, though.

Im starting to mod the car, and had a question...

Please don't fry me for not searching, because I did. It is hard and long to sift through 900 pages of discussion.

Boss intake. Anyone have before and after dyno numbers? Anyone know any real world numbers? I have read what the claims are, but I take those with a grain of salt.

Thanks in advance!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I do not have one, but from what I have read, the Boss intake makes more hp up higher in the RPM range, but you will lose some torque down low. It's a trade off. I'm sure someone that has one will chime in soon.

Also, what's the difference between an '11 and a '13 drivetrain?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Why are you concerned about dyno numbers?

deepimpact

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 13 with the boss on it low range is slightly less pull but start from a roll at 4k and u will smoke every stingray vette that pulls up next to you pulls amazing in the top end trust me.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 13 with the boss on it low range is slightly less pull but start from a roll at 4k and u will smoke every stingray vette that pulls up next to you pulls amazing in the top end trust me.

EVERY stingray vette?

Why do people think Mustang owners are idiots again?

Generally speaking, you'll be happy with the boss IM if you have a manual, perhaps not so much if you have an automatic. Scrap dyno numbers, look at track numbers. They look badass though!

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Every stingray vette? So it adds 2500hp and makes the car run 5s?

A lot of locals like the throw them on. Never seen one run within 6/10th of a second of my stock manifold setup. Plenty of really fast stock intake cars out there. I don't see the need to spend money on that. There are much better places to spend it to go fast.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Waste. I know two who swapped to them and basically gained jack shit. Not worth the $$$$.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
The last one I know who did the swap only gained like 8 rwhp on the dyno. IMO, unless you get one used, there are better ways to spend that amount of cash.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
and post 10.

Its a worthwhile mod as long as its combined with the right supporting mods.

James, I assume by supporting mods you mean an aftermarket CAI and tune? Anything else that I'm missing?

The reason I ask is because I have been waiting to do all three at the same time, if possible.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
The last one I know who did the swap only gained like 8 rwhp on the dyno. IMO, unless you get one used, there are better ways to spend that amount of cash.

Honestly, that's kind of the theme with a lot of bolt ons for these cars. CAI? Naaaa, not gonna gain anything. Longtubes? Naaaa, not gonna gain much over an off road pipe. Cams? Naaaa, nothing. Driveshaft? Debatable, but not really worth the price tag.

NA-Stang

AMC #8 aka "The Jockey"
Reaction score
Im not concerned so much with dyno numbers as a whole, just the gains that are seen. And where.

Im not a dyno queen. I do put the car on the lie detector most weekends. I just want to know if it is worth the money or not.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Longtube headers and offroad midpipe are better than an offroad by itself. If you disagree you may want to understand how a engines powerband has an effect on performance. Longtubes, offroad midpipe, and boss manifold is a solid combo. Aftermarket cai isnt needed.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Longtube headers and offroad midpipe are better than an offroad by itself. If you disagree you may want to understand how a engines powerband has an effect on performance. Longtubes, offroad midpipe, and boss manifold is a solid combo. Aftermarket cai isnt needed.

I'm not disagreeing one ioda. It's clearly better...but many don't consider it enough to justify the cost, which is the case with many of our bolt ons. If my car were a manual I'd rock a Boss IM without a doubt.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I rocked it on an auto for over a year and loved it, but im a full bolt on car too. Im not scared to rev the piss out of it.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

I am going to ask again, why are we concerned about dyno numbers?

From my testing the Boss intake is worth 1.5 tenths on an auto with the correct supporting mods, being a converter and good tune. It's not that the Boss intake makes more peak HP, it is that it makes the same power for ~1K RPM. Combine that with the right tire/gear and the car is in peak power going down the track for a longer period of time vs. the stock intake.

Is it a mod for everyone? No. Would I run it over the CJ on a coyote? Yes.

That said, I have had all 3 intakes on my car under 7.00 in the 1/8th mile. It all boils down to goals and how much money one is willing to spend.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back