boss oil cooler install help needed

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
so I bought this boss oil cooler and as usual it didn't come with install directions. over to ford racing and printed the install instructions. As usual ford directions are not the best . Does anyone know the sizes of the threded oil filter fitting on the block that needs to be removed for the oil cooler block fitting to be installed ? and by some crazy chance do you know the oil cooler threaded fitting size to install this ? got the car on jack stands. fluid drained and oild filter removed and bumped into this . Ford directions don't say what size they are.

part # m-6642-mb

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-6642-MB .pdf

jeffk24

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to know all the thread fitting sizes.
1.) Unscrew your oil filter, look up into small fitting that is extruding from the block.
2.) Get Allen Socket that will fit inside the small fitting extruding from block. (can't remeber size of allen wrench socket...but it is large)
3.) Unscrew small fitting using allen socket.
4.) install the longer fitting that came with the kit.

I did this install about a month or two ago...only problem I had was finding a large allen socket that was deep enough to catch inside the fitting. Trick: look inside the fitting that was supplied with the kit, you will see where you need to get to in order to torque it down with said allen socket.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
where they both the same size ? Looking at them they look different? What I'm trying to find out is that said allen head size. They looked like a different size to me . If they are the same size I can just take the new longer boss fitting to the tool store and match it up .

Thanks

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
where they both the same size ? Looking at them they look different? What I'm trying to find out is that said allen head size. They looked like a different size to me . If they are the same size I can just take the new longer boss fitting to the tool store and match it up .

Thanks

Both fittings are the same size - 14mm or 9/16" fit just fine, but you need one that's long enough to reach. I used a standard length 14mm and just used a pin punch to drive the hex rod about 1/4" out of the socket body that it came pressed into.

Torque to 35 to 40 lb-ft.

STEVE_POE

coyote powered fr500s
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Both fittings are the same size - 14mm or 9/16" fit just fine, but you need one that's long enough to reach. I used a standard length 14mm and just used a pin punch to drive the hex rod about 1/4" out of the socket body that it came pressed into.

Torque to 35 to 40 lb-ft.

Thanks just went to sears and they don't even carry a 14mm or 9/16 in a 3/8 drive........ughhhhhh where did you get yours if You don't mind me asking.......

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is a 1/2 drive piece from a company called Jet Tools that has a wide range of automotive tools from China. A US equivalent would be Neiko or one of their competitors. If you don't have a 1/2 drive ratchet, a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter will work fine - you don't have to reef on it.

Try your local Autozone, NAPA or O'Reilly. They'll probably have the right socket. Take the part with you so you can make sure the hex driver is long enough.

Alternately, you can also just get a regular 14mm or 9/16 right angle hex key and slip a box-end wrench over it to turn it. It's not elegant but it'll work.

Last edited:

benjytps

forum member
Reaction score
a quick make shift tool- find a nut and bolt that fits the allen head. tack weld the nut onto the end and insert the bolt head into the fitting. use a socket or wrench on the nut side to loosen it,thats a home made gigantic allen wrench.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
a quick make shift tool- find a nut and bolt that fits the allen head. tack weld the nut onto the end and insert the bolt head into the fitting. use a socket or wrench on the nut side to loosen it,thats a home made gigantic allen wrench.

GOOD TIP!

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
its an oil filter housing wrench, check out matco or snap on. it is suppose to be a splined drive "allen" head. IIRC the 4.6 used the same one.

a50cobra

forum member
Reaction score

I did something similar. I used the long bolt and TWO nuts, basically locking one nut onto the other. I don't have a welder :/

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
Was searching for the same answer as I am about to install the cooler as well and came across this thread doing a search. I took the threaded coupling to a tool store here in OKC and found a set of hex sockets. It is a 14 mm hex socket if anyone else is wondering the same thing. 9/16 is a bit too large.

Wickedosity

Reaction score
benjytps

You sir, WIN the INTERNET!

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. :thumb:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
The other way to make a cheap hex driver if you don't mind sacrificing a cheap Allen key is to use a 14mm socket and cut the short end of the 14mm Allen key off then just put the now straight long section of the Allen key in the socket. That should save you from welding if you don't have a welder.

That is of choose if I am understanding the tool needed for this project correctly.

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
The other way to make a cheap hex driver if you don't mind sacrificing a cheap Allen key is to use a 14mm socket and cut the short end of the 14mm Allen key off then just put the now straight long section of the Allen key in the socket. That should save you from welding if you don't have a welder.

That is of choose if I am understanding the tool needed for this project correctly.

You are correct sir!!

Jefro

forum member
Reaction score
Did mine this morning. If anyone does it themselves, the instructions need some tweaking. After you remove the old radiator hose, go ahead and route the new lines from the top instead of hooking it up and then trying to route it. Install the new radiator hose and then hook up the lines to the cooler and install the threaded nipple and torque down.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back