Budget Plans

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
My parents bought me a 2007 Mustang 4.0 Coupe for my 16th birthday.
Its Redfire metallic clearcoat, automatic, with Shaker 500 and the Black leather. My Dad is selling his 1987 Mustang 5.0 soon and he is letting me have $1500 to put towards mods for my new car. This is my first car and I don't know a ton, but I have done my fair share of research.

I would like to start with getting a shop to do a custom H-Pipe to Flowmaster 40s setup for the exhaust.

My next thought would be to get (all at one time) Ford T-Lok for the 7.5, Motive 4.10 gears, JLT Cold Air Intake, and a Diablosport Tuner.

Then I want to upgrade the ignition with a Screamin Demon coil pack and JBA 9mm Powercables along with some new spark plugs (idk which kind?)

I'm not really worried about looks right now, but I am spending some of my own money for blacked out tail lights, Saleen C-Stripes, Blacked out Decklid, Black Billet Grille, Black 1/4 Window Louvers, and 35% tint all around.

Any suggestions? Thanks :hi: in advance for the help.

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
hmmm 1500....
me... i would stick it in a savings acount and save up a little more and buy something that will really make a huge dif in the car. such as a supercharger. there have been a couple vortech kits for sale lately and for the h/o kits they were asking about 2k so... 300+rwhp would be a huge step up for just a little more coin that what your getting.
btw one of those kits is still avalible.

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
The only worries I have about supercharging it would be the rear end, not to mention the lack of performance from the exhaust being stock and not being able to afford a good tune either. I am going to stick with a N/A route for now mostly because of the other supporting mods needed for that.

I graduate in 2011 and that is supposedly when the new 5.0 is coming out in the GTs. Either way I am trading in my car then and getting a 2011 Mustang GT for my graduation present. So this car is to get me through high school without getting into too much trouble with too much horsepower.

I would really like to be able to take it to the strip though and run it once or twice. With the setup I mentioned what times do you think I would run? Would I be able to beat my friends 1994 Camaro z28 convertible with Flowmaster Cat-Back (Auto)?

I have been doing some more research and came across a WMS Ram Air Intake System for the s197s kind of like what was on the WS6 Trans Ams. Has anyone heard anything good about these, has one, or has seen any good performance gains. They offer a 80mm MAF, but this seems small compared to JLT's 89mm?

I know Im rambling so ill shut up now.

andyman

what a mess...
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
my dad bought me a couple bus passes in high school.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
The only worries I have about supercharging it would be the rear end, not to mention the lack of performance from the exhaust being stock and not being able to afford a good tune either. I am going to stick with a N/A route for now mostly because of the other supporting mods needed for that.

I graduate in 2011 and that is supposedly when the new 5.0 is coming out in the GTs. Either way I am trading in my car then and getting a 2011 Mustang GT for my graduation present. So this car is to get me through high school without getting into too much trouble with too much horsepower.

I would really like to be able to take it to the strip though and run it once or twice. With the setup I mentioned what times do you think I would run? Would I be able to beat my friends 1994 Camaro z28 convertible with Flowmaster Cat-Back (Auto)?

I have been doing some more research and came across a WMS Ram Air Intake System for the s197s kind of like what was on the WS6 Trans Ams. Has anyone heard anything good about these, has one, or has seen any good performance gains. They offer a 80mm MAF, but this seems small compared to JLT's 89mm?

I know Im rambling so ill shut up now.

run a stock LT1 with 16s or 17s, you'll win with those mods, run one with 18s, you're fucked.. haha. Everything on your list looks good, but I'd go with SCT over diablosport, but that's just me. :beerchug2: J-stang does bring up a good point on going FI right outta the hole, I could have done the same with a turbo and not have these BS bolt ons, but it's the supporting mods as you said, plus I'm going spray... ZEX FTW!!!

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
What is the difference in SCT and Diablosport? Can you still get the Bama tunes with SCT?

Yea i would really rather run the juice than spend the money on FI.

What does tire size have to do with the performance of the Camaro?

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
What is the difference in SCT and Diablosport? Can you still get the Bama tunes with SCT?

Yea i would really rather run the juice than spend the money on FI.

What does tire size have to do with the performance of the Camaro?

rotational mass, my friend.. it can be your enemy.. lol. the stock 16s weigh like 19lbs, the 17" bullitts weigh like 21 lbs, and my heavy as fuck fanblades weigh 28lbs each. there's no definite ratio as to unsprung weight to rotational weight, but rotational weight will make it slower. not to mention on a 4.0 at that. juice is fine right now, and i personally wouldn't put boost on my 4.0. Rygen did it, and I applaud that guy for reaching a 10.9 on a 4.0 FI set-up. But I don't have the patience to try and break his record (which I most likely couldn't anyways. lol.) .I'm waiting for a motor swap in a year or so that's why. And yes, you can still get a Bama tune with the SCT X3.

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
Well I have the same car as the "Hers" car in your sig, except it doesnt have the pony grille. Same wheels and all.

I see that the SCT and Diablo are the same price. What exactly is the difference between them other than just personal preference?

forum member
Reaction score
If you're just gonna trade your V6 for a GT in TWO years why not just save the $1500 and spend it on the GT when you get it?
Because right now, all this budget planning is going towards whoever buys your old car in 2011.

Just a thought.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
If you're just gonna trade your V6 for a GT in TWO years why not just save the $1500 and spend it on the GT when you get it?
Because right now, all this budget planning is going towards whoever buys your old car in 2011.

Just a thought.

You bring up a really good point, but i guess for the time being, he doesn't wanna get trampled by other cars at the track or on the road.

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
You bring up a really good point, but i guess for the time being, he doesn't wanna get trampled by other cars at the track or on the road.

Yeah thats pretty much it. I live in a town where everyone has a fast car or some suped up diesel truck and I just want to be able to hang with most of them until I can get the GT.

What 1/4 times could I expect from this setup as well?

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Yeah thats pretty much it. I live in a town where everyone has a fast car or some suped up diesel truck and I just want to be able to hang with most of them until I can get the GT.

What 1/4 times could I expect from this setup as well?

lots of different things play into 1/4 mile times with a v6, just as any other car of course, but if you're manual and running on street tires, just put yourself half a second slower than you think you'd be. lol. maybe low 15s to low 14s on a great run. NA at least, on spray, look into JimCs old set up, he seems to run well with his drop top 4.0. and manual as well.

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
jimc is an auto. i would say get things that can easily be sold and/or transfered over to the new car. an intake a tuner will be an easy resale, suspension stuff will transfer over. stuff like 1/4 louvers and all will be hard to resale an may not transfer with out paint. but hey its your green.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
jimc is an auto. i would say get things that can easily be sold and/or transfered over to the new car. an intake a tuner will be an easy resale, suspension stuff will transfer over. stuff like 1/4 louvers and all will be hard to resale an may not transfer with out paint. but hey its your green.

I couldn't remember, I thought he was stick but you're proly right I'm sure. haha. :beerchug2: yeah, be cautious on what you put on that won't transfer over. I know I put the T-lok in my car, but when the 8.8 goes in, it's not a complete waste since it'll be going in my girls car. Most everything should be done with your final goal in mind. Know what I mean redfire?

Edit: I just checked the thread I started labeled JimC a while back where I asked him what tranny he ran, and he told me auto. my own question and in my own thread.... I dunno how I missed that. damn... lol. :thud:

redfiresixer

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so I would be better to stick with mods that I can transfer to the new car. I still want the T-lok and 4.10s though just for the different feeling it will give the car. I remember driving my dad's 5.0 after he switched from the stock 2.73s to 4.30s, entirely different car.

I am getting the shop to use a Mac Prochamber with some custom work for the exhaust, so that will transfer over, as well as the flows. I have a couple friends at my school too that wouldn't mind buying an intake and programmer for a little discount (we have a few 4.0s in my school).

As far as the ignition, eh well I guess that will be a bonus for whoever buys the car next. I am really hoping though that the 2011 GT really will have a 5.0 and its rumored 400+ hp and tq, and that it wont be too much of a price gouge like the Mach 1 was with the 32v 4.6.

j-stang

forum member
Reaction score
that coil dont do poop for nothing really. dont waist the money on it. yes some wires for good measure but the coil is a waist. and if you really want to do a rear, get an 8.8 youd be much better off get rid of it or even transfering it over to the new car. you'll spend several hundred dollars to have a rear thats still weak. spend a little more coin an get an 8.8 w/ 4.10's already in it and its an easy swap.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
that coil dont do poop for nothing really. dont waist the money on it. yes some wires for good measure but the coil is a waist. and if you really want to do a rear, get an 8.8 youd be much better off get rid of it or even transfering it over to the new car. you'll spend several hundred dollars to have a rear thats still weak. spend a little more coin an get an 8.8 w/ 4.10's already in it and its an easy swap.

redfire, this is true. T-lok's around $250, gears around $150, installation around $200-$250 or more depending on the shop. you're looking at almost $700 when it's all said and done. The 8.8 with 4.10s on newtakeoff.com is like $860. You know where we're going with this.. lol.

BlackBeard

Reaction score
these guys are right, save the scrilla for the GT. enjoy having a free car

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back