Planning a Ford Racing “Aluminator” Build with associated mods over the winter

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
He alone is keeping the trophy shop in business .
Oh yeah, congrats Scott. As always, well deserved .

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ordered production numbers radiator and dash plaques from Facebook. Her is the radiator plaque. Dash to follow.

Thanks to Chris Gillard for the close up.

dQCLOWJ.jpg

mfmgzVV.jpg

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
APR Performance Carbon Fiber Gauge Cluster and AC Vents

Continuing with the Carbon Fiber interior install I ordered ARP Performance Instrument Cluster Cover, Center AC Vent Panel and Passenger AC Vent Panel. ARP does not manufacture a passenger Air bag Cover in Carbon Fiber and I assume it is because of potential liability issues. It took a little over six weeks for the pieces to arrive and when they did they were very well packaged.

3026W6C.jpg

21jw6bC.jpg

I started by removing the instrument cluster cover. Moved the steering wheel to the full down position and with a plastic panel tool carefully pried the left side of the cluster up starting from the bottom, and then the right side. Pretty easy to remove the cluster cover.

dzhLdjM.jpg

The AC Vents have three plastic tabs that need to be compressed individually with a flat blade screwdriver and wiggled out. The first AC Vent I tried of course took the longest to remove until I learned the secret to remove the hardest one to reach first (buried in the plastic).

Example of the plastic tabs

VhhnBnG.jpg

Next the six push retainers had to be transferred from the OEM panel the CF panel.

Remove the pins counter clockwise.

ssnyWI7.jpg

And install them clockwise being careful not to overtighten them.

pKfyXqz.jpg

Instrument Cluster Cover all ready to be installed.

bPbb8mZ.jpg

While still in the drivers seat I removed the two screws securing the left side of the center AC panel with a 7mm socket.

A2JYyzB.jpg

Moving to the passenger seat, using a 7mm socket I removed the four bolts that secure the bottom of the glove box and removed it. This made the two bolts with 8mm heads that secure the Air Bag accessible.

After removing the Air Bag bolts, I used a panel tool to release the clips on the bottom, sides and finally the top. The cover was gentle jiggled from side to side to slip the Air Bag out. It was not necessary to disturb the wiring harness.

BiiXDDQ.jpg

The two screws retaining the passenger AC Vent were removed with a 7mm socket and the vent panel pulled off.

GiVEDCz.jpg

On the bench the AC Vent and two push retainers were removed and transferred to the CF panel.

QqA7cip.jpg

AC Vent was re-installed and secured with the two screws.

aP4SgBv.jpg

The two screws retaining the right side of the center panel were removed with a 7mm socket.

To release the center panel, it was necessary to raise the console top and remove the inner kick panels. Two Philips head screws at the rear of the console were removed and the console lifted at the front. The top was positioned to right to remove the left panel and then positioned left to remove the right kick panel.

aoua5nr.jpg

To remove the AC Vent, it was necessary to remove the four (two on each side) screws that retain the radio bezel with a 7mm socket.

ZjJ9W81.jpg

Center panel was carefully pulled out.

jh2xjLE.jpg

Two push retainers, Roush Vent Pod and the AC Vent were transferred over to the CF panel.

7O4yjP2.jpg

Center AC Vent was pushed into place and the screws replaced on the radio bezel (4) and AC Vent (4).

FfiPawg.jpg

Kick panels slid back on, center console top positioned, and rear secured with the two Philips screws.

All was going well until it was time to slip the air bag back into place. This is when I noticed the passenger single vent was missing a cut-out that was present in the OEM panel. The missing cut-out prevented the air bag cover from seating properly and engaging the rubber clips. While I could notch the cover with a Dremel I decided to email APR Performance first to see what they say.

FCHOmQA.jpg

kbvR4ge.jpg

G7Jhxfb.jpg

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
APR Performance emailed me back and asked for pictures of the issue.

While not finished, this is roughly what it is going to look like.

O9qcW5T.jpg

travelers

Reaction score
That's going to look great when your done. Great details on the install as usual. It's a shame they can't make the air bag piece and then perforate it so it will open when the air bag is deployed.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Interior looks great!!! I have tossing around the idea of doing some carbon fiber interior accents on mine. I bought a fiberglass rear deck lid cover to wrap in raw carbon fiber to see how easy or hard it will be. Then I may move onto covering some of my interior parts myself if I can successfully do the deck lid. Keep up the great work Scott!!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interior looks great!!! I have tossing around the idea of doing some carbon fiber interior accents on mine. I bought a fiberglass rear deck lid cover to wrap in raw carbon fiber to see how easy or hard it will be. Then I may move onto covering some of my interior parts myself if I can successfully do the deck lid. Keep up the great work Scott!!

Thanks! Good luck with the deck lid wrap. Remember we need pictures!

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Ordered production numbers radiator and dash plaques from Facebook. Her is the radiator plaque. Dash to follow.

Thanks to Chris Gillard for the close up.

dQCLOWJ.jpg

mfmgzVV.jpg

OHH I like this big time. Did you just order the plaque from facebook or did you get the edge to edge carbon radiator shield as well? I need both honesty

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OHH I like this big time. Did you just order the plaque from facebook or did you get the edge to edge carbon radiator shield as well? I need both honesty

Radiator cover is from Trufiber, part number TC10024-LG50. The cover is not a perfect fit, at the very front edge on each side the carbon fiber sticks up to high and rubs on the hood. I can live with it but I am sure some people likely could not.

For the GT/CS radiator cover and dash plaque, I believe the individual on FB was David Jacobelli.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Back in September 2014 my goal with the 4.6L “Aluminator” was to break 600 at the wheels through the slush box 5R55 automatic. I came close at 585 RWHP but no cigar!

Well I finally met my goal and made 605 RWHP earlier this month thanks to the addition of an Anderson Ford Motorsports Power Pipe (draw through MAF), Vortech 8-Rib conversion (3.4” SC pulley) and an ATI 12% Overdrive Balancer.

TDqN0ob.png

mfmgzVV.jpg

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Back in September 2014 my goal with the 4.6L “Aluminator” was to break 600 at the wheels through the slush box 5R55 automatic. I came close at 585 RWHP but no cigar!

Well I finally met my goal and made 605 RWHP earlier this month thanks to the addition of an Anderson Ford Motorsports Power Pipe (draw through MAF), Vortech 8-Rib conversion (3.4” SC pulley) and an ATI 12% Overdrive Balancer.

TDqN0ob.png

mfmgzVV.jpg
Congrats!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
APR Performance emailed me back and asked for pictures of the issue.

While not finished, this is roughly what it is going to look like.

O9qcW5T.jpg
SOS fan I see :D

looking good Scott, enjoy!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I pulled my Ford Racing intake to relocate the IAT sensor from the MAF location to an intake runner I was very shocked at the amount of oil that had accumulated in the intake.

TMIhRHQ.jpg

I previously had a JLT catch can on the driver’s side until the forged motor and Ford Racing Intake went into the car in May 2013, but because the original hoses were no longer suitable the JLT was left off. I put the driver’s side JLT Oil Separator back on in July 2017.

Picked up a Racetronix separator and one way check valve and installed them in place of the JLT yesterday. Still have to clean up the install a little by better securing the lines.

6yP0v8C.jpg

WCsxlF7.jpg

bmZ98Aq.jpg

dw0hFTj.jpg

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
When I pulled my Ford Racing intake to relocate the IAT sensor from the MAF location to an intake runner I was very shocked at the amount of oil that had accumulated in the intake.

TMIhRHQ.jpg

I previously had a JLT catch can on the driver’s side until the forged motor and Ford Racing Intake went into the car in May 2013, but because the original hoses were no longer suitable the JLT was left off. I put the driver’s side JLT Oil Separator back on in July 2017.

Picked up a Racetronix separator and one way check valve and installed them in place of the JLT yesterday. Still have to clean up the install a little by better securing the lines.

6yP0v8C.jpg

WCsxlF7.jpg

bmZ98Aq.jpg

dw0hFTj.jpg
Very nice install. I should check my JTL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back