built or r6w80 automatic transmisson for 2010 GT

nathan k

Reaction score
looking to make 650rwhp in my 2010 gt. I was told I should swap my 5r with a r6w80 or should I just go the built transmission route. going either way could someone point me in the right direction as to how to swap and what all I am going to need to do the swap. thanks

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board - we've moved your thread to a more appropriate sub-forum

You may want to consider just stepping up to a 2011+ car

it'll be a lot less headache and could be near same $$

the 5R will not hold up long term to 650 whp stock if it's raced/driven hard

nathan k

Reaction score
Welcome to the board - we've moved your thread to a more appropriate sub-forum

You may want to consider just stepping up to a 2011+ car

it'll be a lot less headache and could be near same $$

the 5R will not hold up long term to 650 whp stock if it's raced/driven hard
What about just swapping to a 2011 transmission

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
search the board there are several threads on that swap.

yes, baring upgrading the car itself, it would be wise. however, you've provided no details on what the car sits now.

so my comment is based off "looking to make" which would mean built motor, blower/turbos, upgrade transmission.... etc

so cost wise, if you have a stockish 4.6L 3V - you're looking at $12-15K in parts (no labor) vs trading up to a 2011+ and adding a blower

JJ427R

Reaction score
looking to make 650rwhp in my 2010 gt. I was told I should swap my 5r with a r6w80 or should I just go the built transmission route. going either way could someone point me in the right direction as to how to swap and what all I am going to need to do the swap. thanks
As my mechanic told me some time ago, you may as well run what you have until it breaks and then replace it, you won't get anything for it trying to sell it anyway.
I'm currently in a similar situation with a 5r55 in my 2010, I do track days, have approximately 20 track days on it and have overheated the trans several times now, just turned over 52,000 miles and she's still hanging in there. I've added a B&M racing trans cooler, JDM Catch can, and a Performance Automatic larger pan to try to resolve overheating but not much luck. I'm only pushing 390rwhp.... I've also upgraded radiator, heat exchanger, and front grille. Today it's getting MMD hood vents put in.... I've stuck a bunch of cash into this trans overheating problem with not much luck yet.... at this point too much to turn back or sell it.... I have no idea what I'll do when mine finally dies....
As said previously, other option is you may want to consider trading now....

46addict

Reaction score
As my mechanic told me some time ago, you may as well run what you have until it breaks and then replace it, you won't get anything for it trying to sell it anyway.
I'm currently in a similar situation with a 5r55 in my 2010, I do track days, have approximately 20 track days on it and have overheated the trans several times now, just turned over 52,000 miles and she's still hanging in there. I've added a B&M racing trans cooler, JDM Catch can, and a Performance Automatic larger pan to try to resolve overheating but not much luck. I'm only pushing 390rwhp.... I've also upgraded radiator, heat exchanger, and front grille. Today it's getting MMD hood vents put in.... I've stuck a bunch of cash into this trans overheating problem with not much luck yet.... at this point too much to turn back or sell it.... I have no idea what I'll do when mine finally dies....
As said previously, other option is you may want to consider trading now....
You are running the road course in an automatic? Aside from the overheating issues do you like this setup? What kind of temps are you seeing?

JJ427R

Reaction score
You are running the road course in an automatic? Aside from the overheating issues do you like this setup? What kind of temps are you seeing?
I have to run an automatic because I drive with hand controls. I wish I had paddle shifters but right now I let the trans shift itself. Setup works great other than the overheating... I've had engine temps up to 230*
and trans almost the same. At Road America a week ago trans got hot and started shifting itself into overdrive, even though it was tuned off. After it cooled and 5 hours home it was normal...

I've also run the 1/4 mile but had no overheating issues with it doing that, ran 7 passes one evening with no problem...

I have a JDM Engineering tune with shift points modified, shifts more like a manual

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back