Buttonwillow Videos

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Sorry for the gray day. Got some video up from Buttonwillow a few weeks ago.

The Evo and STi's can hustle on cold tires, but once we get some heat into ours after a lap or two, watch out.

Caught sight of a Red GT3 and a Silver 911 Turbo a few minutes into this one and the chase was on! The GT3 pitted in once he saw resistance was futile. Muwahahaha.

The sun was trying to poke out this session and I gave chase to a nicely prepped E46 M3. Those pesky STi's got in the way (I seem to always have to pass them in the Bus Stop)--although they really do carry some speed through the Buttonhook.

Last edited:

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
Nice vids. Thing I really notice is your smooth driving, it looks effortless. I can't wait for summer up here so I can get back on the track.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
That last video.....nice recovery at 2:03. I bet that got your heart pumping just a little. Those intense little 1 second slips will wake your ass up won't they?

Excellent driving skills man. It's awesome seeing you chase down so many cars that are typically said to be better track cars.

Are you N/A?

swat 79

forum member
Reaction score
Great videos, I love watching this and can't wait to get to a road course myself.

Very smooth driving, I look forward to learning how to do that

Sleeper_08

forum member
Reaction score
Isn't it frustrating when the drivers of "superior" cars pit instead of waving a Mustang past.

RolloTomassi

forum member
Reaction score
Very tidy driving sir. Smooth is fast.

I just noticed though, You have 4.10's don't you?

You're only in second gear coming around the button but otherwise it's a 3rd and 4th gear track for you.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score

Agreed! This is a textbook example of how smooth IS fast. No abrupt control inputs (except for the occasional opposite-lock to settle the rear end!), and you were MOTORING around that track. Excellent job! Also, for the newbs that watch the vids, a couple of things to note:

1) BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Keep them there unless you need to make a shift. Also, note that even with tighter turns, there's no need to shuffle-steer. Keep them pinned at 9:00 and 3:00!

2) The value of smooth heel-and-toe. The downshifts did NOT unsettle the car, but he was right there, in the proper gear, to transfer the weight back to keep the rear end planted from apex through corner exit.

3) Smooth on AND off the gas and brake pedals. Nowhere did he slam on either pedal, and the pedal release was smooth as well, allowing him to move the weight around, rather than throwing it around.

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Other than seat time, I've found that getting comfortable in the car is the key to being relaxed. That's the only reason I run an aftermarket steering wheel--it allows me to use spacers to get the wheel exactly where I want it.

As for mods on the car--I try and keep it pretty simple and reliable:

JLT2 intake and BrooksSpeed tune
FRPP Stingers and x-pipe
GT500 Brembos and homemade ducts
4.10 gears
Torsen TruTrac rear diff
Koni yellows with Ground Control coil over sleeves (275 lb. front/ 225. lb rear)
FRPP sway bars
Steeda LCA relocation brackets
UMI poly/rod LCA's
UMI adjustable panhard
Nitto NT01 tires

Next tweaks will most likely be some more spring rate up front, some front roll center correction (have both the Steeda X5 balljoints and the front control arm relocation kit sitting on the workbench) and eventually a Fays2 watts link.

Isn't it frustrating when the drivers of "superior" cars pit instead of waving a Mustang past.
That is a pet peeve of mine. You would think that by now with the S197 platform being out there since late 2004, and plenty of people tracking them, that other drivers would realize that we have very capable cars. Some get it, but others are really D-bags. I make it a point to grid up behind them. :naughty1:

I just noticed though, You have 4.10's don't you?

You're only in second gear coming around the button but otherwise it's a 3rd and 4th gear track for you.

Thanks. Yup--4.10's. With 3.55s I was also only in 2nd for the buttonhook. Actually, 2nd w/ 3.55's there was perfect. I'm sort of between 2 and 3 there now. Next time out I may try 3rd in that section, or shift to 3 earlier in the turn instead of waiting for exit. Everywhere else, though, I'm loving 4.10s.

1) BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Keep them there unless you need to make a shift. Also, note that even with tighter turns, there's no need to shuffle-steer. Keep them pinned at 9:00 and 3:00!

Dave, I can't agree more!!! Years back with NASA Mid-A we had a head instructor who basically started forcing just the opposite. "You should always try and keep your hands at 9 and 3 in space no matter where the wheel is turning." Ridiculous in hindsight, and to this day I know it played a huge part in me destroying Mustang #1.

When I got back on track (literally), I swore off shuffle steering altogether. I just haven't seen a need for it and as a result I'm quicker and don't even think about the corrections. They happen so much more naturally when, as you said, you keep your hands pinned at 9 and 3 ON THE WHEEL. When I instruct now, that is one of the first things I look for in the tight turns, and suggest changing.

What gauges are you running?
I'm running the Stewart Warner competition gauges (coolant, oil pressure, oil temp) in a Speed of Sound panel.

Last edited:

DUFUS

forum member
Reaction score
Excellent videos. I'm a noob, and got me some lernin' to do. It's great to see smooth in action. I know I don't look anything like that when wrestling my car on a track. It's like golf I suppose, it took me awhile to learn that a jerky death grip wasn't going to cut it.
Thankfully I never have shuffle-steered though (or at least don't THINK I do...). I have to agree, when I heard people promote that, or have seen it in vids, I knew that was insane and not to be copied.

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
Got any video of us dueling? Or did we ever get on track at the same time?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Red06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Nice driving! I was surprised how rough the track is is some sections. Really gives the suspension a workout. Have you tried staying off the curb going into the front straight (near the grandstands)? It really unsettles the car and was the only place on the track, it looked like to me, you were giving anything up. Otherwise, you were hauling A**!

Thekid760

forum member
Reaction score
nice driving chim-chim.

what camera are you using and hows it mounted?

Hans device? what helmet?

Chim-Chim

Will drive for food
Reaction score
Nice driving! I was surprised how rough the track is is some sections. Really gives the suspension a workout. Have you tried staying off the curb going into the front straight (near the grandstands)? It really unsettles the car and was the only place on the track, it looked like to me, you were giving anything up. Otherwise, you were hauling A**!

It is definitely a rough track that puts the suspension through the wringer, but that is what makes it fun. I've been on other rough track (e.g. Summit Point during their many repavement fiascos) that weren't fun because the actual surface conditions sucked. Buttonwillow has a good, solid surface/pavement that has a lot of bumps due to it baking in the desert sun (and being pretty close to the San Andreas fault!).

The turn leading into the front straight is pretty narrow and a dead on 90 degree turn, so it is tough to carry speed through it. Taking the curb line, or even the dirt line, is usually the quickest way...but, it's good to have another take on things and I'm going to give your suggestions a try next time out and see if it has any effect on my straightaway top speed.

nice driving chim-chim.

what camera are you using and hows it mounted?

Hans device? what helmet?

GoPro HD camera mounted to my rollbar. Using the DefNder head/neck device--like a HANS, but also has a pair of side straps for additional side/diagonal impact protection. Helmet is a Pyrotect full face.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back