By Changing my rear end to a limited slip dif.

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
My questions for if i do a rear end swap on my v6 to a 8.8:
I change the driveshaft, gears, and the differential?
a limited slip differential what does that mean and whats the difference with my stock differential also can i order a v8 differential from american muscle for the 8.8 rear?

WereWolf

forum member
Reaction score
non diff= one tire fire
diff = two tire fire
i might be wrong but it means when you start to loose traction your rear end locks so both wheels spin at same speed.
if you getting a 8.8 than get a v8 diff and im pretty sure you can order them.
if you ever seen or did a burn out in you v6 you will notice only one tire spins, if you had a diff both would

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just swap in a complete 8.8 rear, you can find them cheap in junkyards from time to time or new takeoff sells them iirc.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I agree, just snag an entire 8.8" GT rear. They are already equipped with the Ford Traction-Lok differential and will have a 3.55 or whatever gear already.

I think clarification is that you keep the V6 driveshaft. You simply need to correctly swap out the pinion flange (the part of the rear that the driveshaft bolts/attaches to). The GT one will not work, you need the 03/04 Cobra one that you can order from Ford Racing for about $20.

Also, the "open" differential spins one wheel and there are locked and limited slip differentials to spin both. Both are differentials.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The 8.8 diff and ring/pinion won't fit in your 7.5" housing. You'll have to swap the whole rear end assembly for one from a GT.

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
keep the v6 driveshaft? im so confused lol but i guess ima look for a 8.8 with 4.1 gears and also what differential should i be looking for.. btw how much do 4.1 gears drop your gas mileage

JimC

Reaction score
Swap the entire rear end for the 8.8, you can't put the 8.8 components in your 7.5 rear end. And it is cheaper in the long run to swap the rear end than it is to try to build a 7.5.

Keep the driveshaft. The 8.8 mounts in exactly the same spot, just the differential is bigger around but the length from tail of the transmission to the pinion is the same.

The 8.8 comes with the Ford Tlok differential already in it. Nothing that you need to change - if you are going to change to 4.10's you can still use the Ford Tlok differential that is in the rear end.

If you can snag a rear end from a 2011+ Mustang then you don't need to swap the pinion flange and it will be a direct swap. If it is from a 2005-2010 Mustang then you need the cobra flange mentioned in order for the V6 driveshaft to mount up.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Swap the entire rear end for the 8.8, you can't put the 8.8 components in your 7.5 rear end. And it is cheaper in the long run to swap the rear end than it is to try to build a 7.5.

Keep the driveshaft. The 8.8 mounts in exactly the same spot, just the differential is bigger around but the length from tail of the transmission to the pinion is the same.

The 8.8 comes with the Ford Tlok differential already in it. Nothing that you need to change - if you are going to change to 4.10's you can still use the Ford Tlok differential that is in the rear end.

If you can snag a rear end from a 2011+ Mustang then you don't need to swap the pinion flange and it will be a direct swap. If it is from a 2005-2010 Mustang then you need the cobra flange mentioned in order for the V6 driveshaft to mount up.

The 2011-up GT's still use the same pinion flange as the 05-09 GT's/GT500's. He'll still need either a GT driveshaft, or a Cobra pinion flange.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
If you do a lot of city or urban driving than mileage won't go down with gears. In fact it might even go up slightly. The worst geared vehicle I ever had was an 88 F150 with a 302 (170hp from the factory) and 3.08 gears. That dog was so underpowered that I always had to stay in a lower gear just to stay in the peak powerband. With 3.55s I was able to accelerate easier with less throttle and stay in a higher gear. On the highway I was actually able to use overdrive.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Bossman, that's the lowest price you'll find on a new rear (the new take off stuff can still be called new). FRPP dealers list new rears with your preferred gears are all over $1100 (list price is over $1400, so they dropped a lot).

You may still want to check boneyards, since the 2005-07 GT's came with 3.55's and you should get one for $600 or so.

The reason I say that is to change gears on a rear that's out of a car, your shop may charge you $200+ (some may not even do it) and then you still need to buy the gear set and install kit.

RunnerInTheNight

forum member
Reaction score
Unless your gonna drag race the hell out of the car, save some dough buy a used set of gears from Craigslist and a used Posi "locker" and slap it in the 7.5, thats what I did and I couldn't be happier. A 8.8 adds weight to the amount of weight you have to spin and the amount of weight to the car.

Just something to think about...

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
If you have no big plans Just throw the 7.5 trak lok in and add gears. I think minus install should be about 500 or so.

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
well I know my 7.5 held up to 298 HP and 304 TQ with a blower.
I never got an email from the guy I sold it to, so I'm assuming it's still alive.

my philosophy with that car was replace it only if I broke it.

RunnerInTheNight

forum member
Reaction score
and I mean like every weekend drag racing... my 7.5 with 3:73s and a Posi has gone racing and dealt with NJ traffic quite well. When the mechanic does my trans flush I am gonna have him open up the pumpkin and see how the gears are doin...

bossmanpena

Team OverDrive
Reaction score
so i can just keep my 7.5 and put 4.10 with a posi? whats a posi and whats the beneficial difference from my differential? is it just a two wheel burn?

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, both tires will spin. On Ebay, a dealership has a brand new FRPP 7.5 Traction-Lok. You can also score 4.10 gears there cheap, just make sure you search Ford 7.5" or you might get GM gears.

06Mach

forum member
Reaction score
The benefits?

No more embarrassing burnouts.
Better launches.

little more umph out back since now both with distribute power instead of one.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back