Cam install gone wrong

Sfortin

Reaction score
installed ford Racing cams and replaced drivers side phaser with new Ford OEM on start up that side is very noisy and I get p0345 code and p0349 could it jumped timing or did I mess up sensor I’ve taken it apart three times now checked all cam followers and all in place and look fine.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
ahh, cam install gone wrong threads. seen quiet a few of these through the years.

I assume the sensor's plugged in? no damage on the sensor itself? the phaser is in good condition, bolted correctly to the cam and not odd looking?

What did you do when you replaced the phaser to be 101% sure that you put it back on the correct timing position?
if you arent 101% you may need to pull the timing cover off and re-time the motor

Sfortin

Reaction score
Marked chain and sprocket at timing mark with paint marker and transferd to mark on new sprocket will try new sensor tomorrow car starts and idles ok but no power when driving and noisy from that side

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
hmm, noise from that side is a big bad sign, any way to describe the noise?

every follower looks like its in position and none have fallen?

You made sure you put the cams on the correct sides?

Sfortin

Reaction score
Loud ticking sound Yes made sure cams are on the Wright sides longer one on Driver’s side yes checked all followers are in place

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
hmm, so if the followers are all correct and they arent making noise.

Noise could be valves saying hello to pistons, which is not good, obviously, which could be caused by timing thrown off, or potentially cams not being friendly with the cam tower caps.

Check and make sure everything that moved against something else is in proper fashion and nothing is binding

If not that
Could grab a leak tester to pressurize the cylinder, and make sure all the valves are still straight and sealing, then checking timing.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Prolly skipped time at the crank, I would just go right to pulling the front cover, it's gonna have to happen, might as well get on it.

Last edited:

Sfortin

Reaction score
So removed timing cover today looks like drivers side was off 3 teeth on crank gear. So correct me if I’m wrong 1 cylinder at tdc key on crank at 12 o’clock dark links on R And L on cam gears and on same timing mark on crank gear is correct timing. Hope I didn’t bend any valves

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
ewww, howd you get 3 teeth off? did you pull the wedge out before you were ready? or not use one?

Sfortin

Reaction score
Not sure what happened yes used wedge maybe it was not in far enough.
Now just waiting for gaskets and seals

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So removed timing cover today looks like drivers side was off 3 teeth on crank gear. So correct me if I’m wrong 1 cylinder at tdc key on crank at 12 o’clock dark links on R And L on cam gears and on same timing mark on crank gear is correct timing. Hope I didn’t bend any valves

The key way of the crank is more at the 10-11 position, the dot on the crank gear should be at 6 o'clock.
Right (passenger) side phaser ("R") at 11 o'clock, Left side (Driver, "L") at 12 o'clock.

I would be surprised if there is no damage, 3 teeth at the crank is a lot.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yeah, id probably say try pressure testing at least 1 cylinder, that far off, it would be hard to not bend em

Sfortin

Reaction score
Yes I will try to do leak down test before I put it all back together but you would think if it bent a valve I’d have miss fires I have Snapon souls pro computer and it was showing no miss fires in live data or pending codes

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would pull the intake, back off the cam caps and do a visual inspection before rotating anything.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
You have the valve covers off, turn it over by hand and verify the valve movement and if they all move up and down put it back together and fire it up! Off 3 teeth so approx. 24 degrees, your vct has more movement than that. I'd be surprised if you bent any valves.

Last edited:

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
3 teeth on the crank gear is more than 24 degrees. The crank sprocket only has like 21 teeth. You would be right if it was 3 teeth on the cam sprocket.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Did you follow the FULL torque procedure on the phaser bolt? That is the torque to yield (TTY) process after setting the initial torque spec. Its in the on lime manual. There is more to installing the cam phasers than just setting the torque spec. The TTY process also needs to be applied. If not it is likely you losta brand new phaser. Also the phaser bolts are a one time use. Never reuse them. Thats all i got.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
3 teeth on the crank gear is more than 24 degrees. The crank sprocket only has like 21 teeth. You would be right if it was 3 teeth on the cam sprocket.

Your right it would be approx 48-50 degrees 3 teeth on crank gear. Still doubt Ptv contact. Turn it over like I said by hand and if the valves move up and down fire it up!

Sfortin

Reaction score
Yes tightend bolts properly 30ftlbs plus 90 degrees and used new bolts

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back