Cam Phasers Going Bad

blacknsilver05

Reaction score
Hey guys, so these past few weeks ive noticed a weird ticking coming from my engine. Nothing like piston slap but a pronounced noise thats not normal. I took a stethoscope and starting listening in on places around the timing cover. The noise definitely sounds like its coming from both cam phasers. Which would also tie into my misfiring that has occurred in the last week or so. Considering to install new phasers cams must come out, im just going to switch up to A/M cams. So my two questions are I have 108000 miles. Should I just go ahead and replaced the timing kit? Like the one ford racing offers? And is there a typical time to replace valve springs. My first choice for cams are Comp Stage 2 NSR. My car will no longer be my DD in the following weeks to come so im not to worried about putting a ton of miles on the car going forward.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just to replace the cam phasers it is not necessary to remove the cams. However at 108000 miles if I were you I would go for a new timing kit and that means a re and re on the front cover.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hey guys, so these past few weeks ive noticed a weird ticking coming from my engine. Nothing like piston slap but a pronounced noise thats not normal. I took a stethoscope and starting listening in on places around the timing cover. The noise definitely sounds like its coming from both cam phasers. Which would also tie into my misfiring that has occurred in the last week or so. Considering to install new phasers cams must come out, im just going to switch up to A/M cams. So my two questions are I have 108000 miles. Should I just go ahead and replaced the timing kit? Like the one ford racing offers? And is there a typical time to replace valve springs. My first choice for cams are Comp Stage 2 NSR. My car will no longer be my DD in the following weeks to come so im not to worried about putting a ton of miles on the car going forward.

If I was in your shoes I'd replace everything with the FRPP timing kit. As you know the price is less than just buying two phasers from Ford. Another option would be to lock them out.

If swapping valve springs then you might as well go with something a little stiffer like comp 26113. I'd also say that if you are swapping cams out why not go with something that will give you a little more power for the effort? Comp 127400 or 127500 come to mind. I've run 127300, 127400, a custom cam that is basically a 127500 with a wider lsa, and hot rods.

IMO Hot Rods are one of the best nsr cams out there but you have to have a good tuner to get the power and keep driveability. It comes down to more than just adjusting fuel and spark advance to get power out of them due to the change in intake valve opening.

If you are going with a stiffer spring then 127500 would probably be a first choice for max power. IMO Comp really did their homework when designing these cams for the 3v.

blacknsilver05

Reaction score
First off thanks guys for your opinions! Second I was dumb and didnt do enough research on pricing on the phasers. I am going to go with the Ford Racing Timing kit just makes sense too. Also, Scott are you sure the cams do not need to come out when changing the phasers? I was told they were. Bruce, the main reason I was leaning towards NSR was the ease of install and I wasnt sure if the VSR would cause any drive-ability issues. Even though the car isnt my dd I dont take it to the track regularly and still would like to not bog or jerk at stop lights. Do you think the Stage 2 NSR would be significantly less power than the VSR or SPR? Ive seen varying dynos. Also something I havent said is I only have 3:73's.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First off thanks guys for your opinions! Second I was dumb and didnt do enough research on pricing on the phasers. I am going to go with the Ford Racing Timing kit just makes sense too. Also, Scott are you sure the cams do not need to come out when changing the phasers? I was told they were. Bruce, the main reason I was leaning towards NSR was the ease of install and I wasnt sure if the VSR would cause any drive-ability issues. Even though the car isnt my dd I dont take it to the track regularly and still would like to not bog or jerk at stop lights. Do you think the Stage 2 NSR would be significantly less power than the VSR or SPR? Ive seen varying dynos. Also something I havent said is I only have 3:73's.

I am sure, for piece of mind check out around 2:25 in this Livernois video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsoU2zEWTyE

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I think that if you are going to change valve springs then you might as well put something a little stiffer in and go with a little more lift.

As I recall the 127200 cams are the same as 127300 but with less lift. Is that correct? For a n/a or centri car I'd take Hot Rods over 127200. You really aren't going to go wrong with either. However, if you are changing the springs then I'd definitely go with something like 127500 or even 127450 or 550.

You have a lot of good cams to choose from. VSR can be tuned to drive just like Hot Rods can be tuned to drive. I know of a few tuners who are capable and the first one who comes to mind is Manuel Pazo who goes by lito on this forum.

blacknsilver05

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info Bruce. Tuning was another thing I had a question with. I was thinking mpt or Lund cause of what I heard around but I will look into Lito as well.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
tune with lito or die!

lol, Lito is a boss in tuning

Back