Can we talk shifters?

JG-1

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so I know MGW is the best. I get it. But really, how much would I be missing by going with a Barton and two post bracket? It's not the price difference, I like the fact that Barton is a short throw shifter. The throw in the MGW seems close to stock.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
On the Chinese built 6 speed transmissions the throw is already shorter in stock form. George spent some time researching and determined that shortening the throw further didn't accomplish any better feel shifting. Afterwards, Barton copied that concept and the Barton's throw is about the same as the MGW.

So you can 'like' a short throw or you can 'like' a better shifter, take your pick.

Phil1098

Reaction score
The throw in the MGW seems close to stock.

Buy what you want, it's your money, but the reason listed isn't valid. The MGW has ten different adjustable throws, it isn't anywhere near stock. I set mine at level three out of ten, that makes mine about 30% shorter than stock but it is not notchy in the least. Have never missed a shift since it went in, best change I have made to the car IMHO. The shorter the throw the more notchy it gets.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Buy what you want, it's your money, but the reason listed isn't valid. The MGW has ten different adjustable throws, it isn't anywhere near stock. I set mine at level three out of ten, that makes mine about 30% shorter than stock but it is not notchy in the least. Have never missed a shift since it went in, best change I have made to the car IMHO. The shorter the throw the more notchy it gets.

That's for the Tremec 3650 five speed transmission. The Gertrag 6 speed shifters don't have the 10 adjustment levels. I'm assuming he has a 5.0 with the Gertrag.

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Any chance I can throw Steeda into the mix - we have 20% reduction in throw:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-2011-mustang-short-throw-shifter-kit-555-7313/

Product Benefits
20 % throw reduction
Made of high quality billet materials
No increase in shifter NVH (Noise, vibration and harshness)
Retains reverse lock-out
Comes with a LIFETIME warranty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5KgOll7cs&feature=youtu.be

Happy to answer any questions you may have - you can email me for pricing & questions at [email protected].

Best Regards,

TJ

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ :lol:

I first had a Steeda Tri-Ax, then a Barton with the single post bracket, next a Barton with the two post bracket, a Barton with the Blowfish racing bracket, and I am currently running the standard MGW (not race spec).

I will agree that the MGW is close to stock in it's throws. Noticeably longer than the Barton. I really liked my Barton and two post bracket set up. I hated it with the BF bracket, because NVH went up way too much for my liking. I didn't like the Steeda Tri Ax because the reverse lock out sucked, IMHO (no offense TJ, as I have plenty of other Steeda parts on my car :)) I have been driving stick shift cars since I was 14 years old, and at 40 years old, I still consistently would put the shifter in what I thought was first, only to start rolling backwards when I let out of the clutch. It was quite embarrassing, as well as annoying as crap.

The reason I switched from the Barton to the MGW was two fold. First off, I had read in some articles that really short throw shifters were hard on the synchros, and this MT-82 sucks balls as-is, and I admit, I was a little weary of running the short throw shifter long term on a car with an iffy transmission to begin with. Second, I was just curious about the MGW for the MT-82. I ran a MGW on my 98 Cobra and really liked it, and I came across a fellow S197forum member that let me have his used MGW for a good price, so I decided to give it a try. No regrets there.

TLDR: MGW - great shifter, but with throws that are close to stock

Barton - great shifter with very short throws.

Can't go wrong with either option.

Last edited:

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
i have used the tri ax for 8 years now and it to me is just perfect .
i adjusted it when installed and have not touched it since .
NO binding OR missing gears @ any rpm and NO reverse issues .

Last edited:

sidvicious

forum member
Reaction score
Have the Barton in my 06 Saleen and love it. What sucks is that Ford put such shitty shifters in the Mustang in the first place; necessitating a change out. The stock shifter in my 01 Honda S2K was near perfection. 9K redline shifts all day long without missing a beat.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I had a Barton, I liked it alot, I now have an MGW, I like it more, you don't need an extremely short throw, sometimes it's more harm than good, but if you don't want the MGW, get the Barton, everything else is garbage, sorry the Steeda looks like a polished stock shifter, I'll pass.......

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They do offer a discount, mention the forum in the comments when you order it and they will take it off when it is ready to ship.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I've driven a few MT82s with stock shifters and they felt nothing like my MGW. I didn't even bother wasting my time with a stock shifter when I put my MT82 in. MGW or nothing. It's so much more precise feeling, I hit gears every. single. time. I wouldn't want to own an MT82 without an MGW.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back