Car and Driver (Feb 2014)

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
How many of you have read the article about the new mustang? Car and Driver did some interviewing with various Ford people. Here are some points I thought were worth mentioning. There's lots more information in the article though that can be mentioned.

1) "But once we put an IRS in the car, the front suspension became the limiting factor. We didn't think we would be tearing up the front suspension but here we go"

2) "We want our V8 Performance Pack to beat a Boss at the track"

3) ""We knew we wanted to improve the six speed manual to make it a bit smoother. We need to improve fuel economy, we need to improve overall performance, and we're upping our torque and our horsepower, so we need to make some modifications for them to handle that. They're both good boxes, we just wanted to continue to evolve them."

Anybody else read the article?

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I just got my C&D in the mail yesterday, but I was watching football last night, so I haven't read it yet. Interesting comment about the front suspension being the limiting factor after installing the IRS. I bet that baby will handle!

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
The March 5.0 and super fords mag. has a big write up on the 2015
I got it the other day.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Those are all things you wanna hear from those guys. I think a clean slate Mustang could be world class.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I just got my C&D in the mail yesterday, but I was watching football last night, so I haven't read it yet. Interesting comment about the front suspension being the limiting factor after installing the IRS. I bet that baby will handle!

Ford widened the rear track pretty substantially (70mm, almost 3 inches) which definitely accounts for an increase in rear grip due to less weight transfer across the tires keeping them in their happy zone longer. The wider rear track was a bit unnecessary IMO but they did it anyway. I can definitely understand why they'd have to re-do the front suspension and they should have ANYWAY as this setup is superior in almost every way to the S197's front suspension.

At least now the underpinnings will share more in common with the new BMW's than an F150! :)

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
It's going to perform better than the Boss, period. Those who think not, I'm sorry.

Thanks for the millionth thread on this btw.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Ford widened the rear track pretty substantially (70mm, almost 3 inches) which definitely accounts for an increase in rear grip due to less weight transfer across the tires keeping them in their happy zone longer. The wider rear track was a bit unnecessary IMO but they did it anyway. I can definitely understand why they'd have to re-do the front suspension and they should have ANYWAY as this setup is superior in almost every way to the S197's front suspension.

At least now the underpinnings will share more in common with the new BMW's than an F150! :)

LOL @ your last comment!

I am really looking forward to seeing one these things parked next to an S197. Lower and wider body demensions, wider track front and rear. Dare I say, more Vette-like, proportionally speaking.

I just hope the rear end grows on me. :dead2:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
It's going to perform better than the Boss, period. Those who think not, I'm sorry.

Thanks for the millionth thread on this btw.

You're welcome short stuff. In what other thread did someone mention ford said that it would out perform the Boss? Did any other thread mention transmission changes?

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
LOL short stuff, who the hell you think you're talking to!?!? :p

No one did, but Ford did say they benchmarked the Boss, and I can't remember which article or where I read it but someone from Ford who worked on the 2015 said they met and exceeded their goal,i.e. to match or beat the Boss in handling.

It's only common sense. Ford made the live axle handle like no other can but with a new IRS that is under a chassis that is at least just as strong as the S197 chassis, wider rear track, supposed lighter weight, etc. only adds up to being better.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:beer: Here's hoping that the manual transmission does away with the remote shifter

Don't count on that ever happening. It reduces NVH, so it'll be around for ever now probably.

It's only common sense. Ford made the live axle handle like no other can but with a new IRS that is under a chassis that is at least just as strong as the S197 chassis, wider rear track, supposed lighter weight, etc. only adds up to being better.

Only once did Ford go backwards with performance with the Mustang. 1974 with the Mustang II. Major step backward. Like you say it will be an improvement. Likely a huge improvement.

Last edited:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
It's not going to be better than my 03 termi bro.

:dead2:

None of which are as good as my $5k Fox plus $30k in mods! :deadhorse:

Only once did Ford go backwards with performance with the Mustang. 1974 with the Mustang II. Major step backward. Like you say it will be an improvement. Likely a huge improvement.

70 to 71 is debatable, heck 93 to 94 too same powertrain/suspension more weight, 95 to 96 those 2v's were weak

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

Not a huge setback but don't forget the 93 to 94 change. The mustang gained 200 lbs and lost 10 HP.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back