car died now won't start

grabber07

Reaction score
Exactly like the title says.
I drove to the beer store,car just dies leaving store parking lot.It will turn over but will not fire,had to get it towed home..No cel's or codes.It is turboed.Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Well, first I would check and make sure your getting spark. Then I would move on to the fuel. Maybe your fuel cut off switch has been activated. Yup time to start checking the simple things first.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check the connections to the MAF as well.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Exactly like the title says.
I drove to the beer store,car just dies leaving store parking lot.It will turn over but will not fire,had to get it towed home..No cel's or codes.It is turboed.Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

He states he was "leaving the beer store". Obviously while opening his can of beer, he inadvertently ran over a curb stop and has tripped the fuel pump inertia switch as Redstangs9308gt already mentioned.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Is the beer still OK?
Check all the connection to everything.

grabber07

Reaction score
Still have fuel,maf connections look good,whats easiest way to test for spark?
Wasnt drinkin and drivin ,we are only allowed .05

thanks
Steve

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
He states he was "leaving the beer store". Obviously while opening his can of beer, he inadvertently ran over a curb stop and has tripped the fuel pump inertia switch as Redstangs9308gt already mentioned.
lmfao. Damn beer runs

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Still have fuel,maf connections look good,whats easiest way to test for spark?
Wasnt drinkin and drivin ,we are only allowed .05

thanks
Steve
Well, I don't know if my way of doing things is the right way or wrong way but it works for me. I usually take one coil at a time off, while leaving it still plugged in to power, and I stick a old spark plug up in it and just do a visual to make sure that one coil is working. I know I have seen actual testers to test each coil with a light instead of watching for spark on a spark plug. Also forgot to mention you will have to have a buddy/wife/neighbor to crank the car while you watch for spark, also make sure you don't get grounded to the car and make contact with teh spark plug, I would imagine it could hurt you. Maybe someone else has a better way of doing it and will chime in.

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Ok for this make sure ur milage on your ic is visible. Like it doesn't show up as dots. If your milage shows up then your good. Now let's check fuel pump turns on key on signal. The fuel pump is located under the rear seat on the driver side. Try to hear it. Also u can remove your filler cap and try to hear it at initial key on position. Also if u can datalog FRP that's even better or FP mode pid. If your fuel pump does come on then next is checking your CKP signal. Person above stated to remove coil. U can but if u have no spark then you also will have no fuel pulse width since the PCM looks at ckp signal to activate the coils, fuel pump(while cranking not on initial key on), and injectors. So crank the engine and look at you tach see if your needle moves up about a hair to show your cranking rpms. If it moves up then your crank sensor is good. Also make sure your fuse for injectors and coils are good. U should find something with these. One last thing. Unplug your maf sensor. If u have a faulty maf sensor then it will cause a not start also. Hope this helps. Let me know if u need clarification on any of what i post.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok for this make sure ur milage on your ic is visible. Like it doesn't show up as dots. If your milage shows up then your good. Now let's check fuel pump turns on key on signal. The fuel pump is located under the rear seat on the driver side. Try to hear it. Also u can remove your filler cap and try to hear it at initial key on position. Also if u can datalog FRP that's even better or FP mode pid. If your fuel pump does come on then next is checking your CKP signal. Person above stated to remove coil. U can but if u have no spark then you also will have no fuel pulse width since the PCM looks at ckp signal to activate the coils, fuel pump(while cranking not on initial key on), and injectors. So crank the engine and look at you tach see if your needle moves up about a hair to show your cranking rpms. If it moves up then your crank sensor is good. Also make sure your fuse for injectors and coils are good. U should find something with these. One last thing. Unplug your maf sensor. If u have a faulty maf sensor then it will cause a not start also. Hope this helps. Let me know if u need clarification on any of what i post.

I forgot all about the crank position sensor. You learn something new every day. This is what this forum is all about, to learn tips and tricks to make your modding life easier. :) :beer:

grabber07

Reaction score

I can hear fuel pump, tach doesnt move while cranking,I am looking at manual but having tough time finding the the fuses for injectors and coils are they one of the #engine ones?

Last edited:

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
I can look it up in the morning but for now just disconnect an injector and coil and one wire should have source voltage (12v). If u do then fuse is good.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it was mentioned already, but no mention of you checking it.

Crank position sensor!

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
Another way u can check if ur CKP is working is by disconnecting a coil and add a test light on the connector and see if it blinks. If it does then the PCM is trying to fire the coils there for u have sync. There for cmp and ckp are good.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Another way u can check if ur CKP is working is by disconnecting a coil and add a test light on the connector and see if it blinks. If it does then the PCM is trying to fire the coils there for u have sync. There for cmp and ckp are good.

an even easier way is to see if the check engine light goes out when you crank the engine. if it doesnt, the sensor is disconnected/bad. It SHOULD go out when you crank the engine!

grabber07

Reaction score
an even easier way is to see if the check engine light goes out when you crank the engine. if it doesnt, the sensor is disconnected/bad. It SHOULD go out when you crank the engine!

The cel goes out,and borrowing tester from mechanic at work tomorrow

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19670

not the greatest but it might help

Cranks, turns over, but won't start or run:

Is there gas in the car?
NO – buy gas
YES – continue

Are the spark plugs firing?
NO – no signal from crank angle sensor or faulty coil pack/coil harness.
YES – continue

Can you hear the fuel pump whir for 2 seconds when the key is set to “on”?
NO – look under the passenger side kick panel and verify that inertia switch is not tripped and is working correctly. Fuel pump problem if switch is ok.
YES – use a fuel pressure gauge to verify that you are receiving adequate fuel pressure during cranking. Continue if ok

With the oil cap off and a friend trying to start the car, can you see the cams spinning while the engine cranks?
NO - Possibly a bad timing belt. Pull the timing gear cover off to check the belt and watch the cam gears. Replace belt if bad.
YES - continue

Are the injectors firing?
NO – damaged ECU or no signal from camshaft position sensor. (could be a broken timing belt)
YES – continue

Is there adequate compression in all cylinders?
NO – broken timing belt, head gasket leak, or damaged valvetrain componant.
YES – continue

Is there a blockage in the air intake?
NO – verify engine timing, have ECU tested.
YES – remove blockage

grabber07

Reaction score
Thanks very much! I will try all that over the week as i can buy or borrow testers as needed.
At least i solved the wifes daily driver problem,got her a 2012 Escape

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back