Car sounds cammed but isn't

AntonioS197

Reaction score
My car recently had a misfire due to a dead injector and bad sparkplugs, so I took it to a local performance shop to get it fixed, upon fixing that the car threw a knock sensor code the next day, so I got both replaced. I went in to pick up the car and now it has a rough idle, sounds like it's cammed and is shaking a lot when parked. When I get on the gas it sounds very off and feels weird and clanky. I'm fairly new to this platform and don't want to keep throwing money into the car for something that isn't going to fix it. Any help is appreciated
smile.gif

Prior to getting it fixed the car was driving normally, I pulled into a parking lot and as soon as I parked the car began to shake a lot. I thought nothing of it. I turned the car off and started it back up and had the same issue, and had no power no matter how hard I was pushing on the gas. I ended up having to get

The car has basic bolt-ons (BBK CAI LTH, Catted X Pipe, Borla Ataks, 62mm TB 3.73s Vex NOS system)
Videos here:
https://streamable.com/jwfn8g ("Cam")
https://streamable.com/4nuosz ( Clunking and sound while driving off)
https://streamable.com/47wi1s (Engine bay with car running)

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I’m sure someone will chime in with things to check but is it currently throwing any codes?

Sounds like a miss to me through the first two videos but that engine bay one scares me.. does it sound as metallic in person as it does on video?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the cam covers. Check all the roller followers and the chains, make sure there is tension on the drive side (on your left if you are facing the engine).

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
If I were a betting man you have a cam phaser issue (part of the variable cam timing function). There may likely be an engine knock as well that is happening. I lost a cam phaser on my 2005 years ago. The car went down on power, idled rough, and had that knock sound. In my case if the car was shut off and restarted it would idle fine until it ran out of gas until the engine was rev'd up once. When the RPM's came back to idle the symptom would return. There were no CEL codes when this happened.

Pulling the cam covers will reveal nothing. The failure is internal. It could be something as simple as the screen under the VCT prop valve being blocked, a prop valve failing or the cam phaser itself has failed.

Sorry but NCAA is on and my team is losing or I would go into detail about the theory of mechinical operation of the VCT system. I am certain someone will if they concur with my guess.

Compression tests will reveal nothing I learned in my case. All of my compression numbers were in line with specification.

Hope this helps.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back