Centrifugal Blower with 4.56 Gears

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Any experience with a centrifugal blower and 4.10+ gears? I don't go to the track and only cruise around or hit the highway (where I occassionally bang through the gears). I have a NA engine with minor bolt-ons and 4.56 gears, but run 295/45/18s which make the effective gear ratio closer to 4.30. Not bad at all. I'm just trying to round out my plans around a blower, cams and headers.

Since a centrifugal blower needs to spool up to start building real power midrange, I was thinking 4.10+ gears might not be bad. No?

Before people start debating over twin-screw vs centrifugal, my goals are economical power adders. I would love a Saleen SuperShaker but where they're discontinued, many shops won't touch them. I could go Kenne Bell, DoB, Whipple, etc, but I was wondering if the centrifugal blower and shorter gears might be a better combo.

Thoughts or experience?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4.10s with a Centri is a great set up. I had them in my 06 and used a 26.4" tire so about a 4.2x effective. Worked well.

my07silvergt

HOLD ON TO YOUR PANTIES
Reaction score
I run 3.90's with my novi 2200 and a 28" tall tire, I love the way the power starts pulling and doesn't stop. I'm considering going to a 29.5" tall tire to extend my 4th gear out for the track but I'm not 100% decided on that just yet.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I run 3.90's with my novi 2200 and a 28" tall tire, I love the way the power starts pulling and doesn't stop. I'm considering going to a 29.5" tall tire to extend my 4th gear out for the track but I'm not 100% decided on that just yet.

Do you hit the track with taller tires? How about street driving? Do you feel like you maintain the low-end grunt with the gears and the Novi really kicks in at 3K+?

My 295/45s are 28.4" tall. If I decide to track my car on a regular basis I may through some 275s on my stock 17x8s or pickup some 17x10s and go with a really wide DR. Right now it's just about street presence and having fun driving. The mod bug is very contagious!

Last edited:

Paladin LL 06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a Vortech with 3:55 gears, the car runs great. Now I'm installing Comp Cams 127550. They call for 3:90, Ford makes 4:10. But I do lots of highway cruising, and I've heard 4:10s can be annoying at cruising speed. So I'm gonna try 3:73 and see how that works. I'll let u know.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I run 3:73 gears with a Vortech with 305/35/20 tires and it's great on the street. On the track I run a 28" slick and I run out of 4th gear.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
With my 4.0 I ran a 4.10 with a Vortech and 28.5" tall tires, wasn't bad at all on the highway and got that blower to spin up pretty quick.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I ran 4.30's with a 28" tire, but I also ran a 6060 trans so I needed more gear to get out of the hole. I also made north of 700rwhp, so my advise probably isn't applicable at all. Forget I was here.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I ran 4.30's with a 28" tire, but I also ran a 6060 trans so I needed more gear to get out of the hole. I also made north of 700rwhp, so my advise probably isn't applicable at all. Forget I was here.

Actually, a 302 stroker and transmission upgrade are on my mind too!

mach828

forum member
Reaction score
Ran 4.56s with a vortech. Switched to 3.55s and ran the same time at the track after the swap, and better times with 3.55s after practice. 28" tire strip and street. Cut 1.6s with both gears. I like the 3.55s better all around. 4.56s made the car rev too quick and I needed to shift immediately and it never got to spend much time accelerating near peak power.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
My '07 GT had a Vortech V2 S-trim blower with 4.10 gears. It was a 5R55S automatic, though, with a 4800 rpm stall converter. The big stall and gears got the blower into the boost very quickly and worked very well. Car ran 11.7's to 11.8's with only 393 rwhp.

With a manual trans, you might not want as steep of gear so you can run out each gear longer. You'll dump the boost when you let off the gas to upshift. With my automatic, there was no letting off for upshifts, so the car would stay in the boost at WOT all the way down the track.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I run 3.73's and a 27" tire, the 4.00" pulley on the D1 makes about 4psi around 3k/rpm, and right around 380ft/lbs. Plenty of grunt and gear. I prefer the 3.73's because I have the red race BOV. Above 2500rpm the bov whoosh at cruise is deafening if next to a wall/divider. Hell, even a curb. I usually roll with the windows up above 70mph anyway, so I barely hear it in the cabin. People in 'verts with the top down hate me.

I do love the Procharger's internal gearing, makes a nice difference in the low-mid ranges. Particularly I like the 3.73's for the extra traction in the lower gears. Had a guy want to run me to 60mph in his Ram hoping I wouldn't be steamin off the line, but it hooks. Once I'm built and pulley down, it'll be just another tire fryer lol.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
just a reminder that I currently have 4.56 gears and taller 28.4" tires. I'm just wondering if a centrifugal blower or a pos displacement blower at ~8psi might work well if the effective gear ratio is ~4.30.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Any experience with a centrifugal blower and 4.10+ gears? I don't go to the track and only cruise around or hit the highway (where I occassionally bang through the gears). I have a NA engine with minor bolt-ons and 4.56 gears, but run 295/45/18s which make the effective gear ratio closer to 4.30. Not bad at all. I'm just trying to round out my plans around a blower, cams and headers.

Since a centrifugal blower needs to spool up to start building real power midrange, I was thinking 4.10+ gears might not be bad. No?

Before people start debating over twin-screw vs centrifugal, my goals are economical power adders. I would love a Saleen SuperShaker but where they're discontinued, many shops won't touch them. I could go Kenne Bell, DoB, Whipple, etc, but I was wondering if the centrifugal blower and shorter gears might be a better combo.

Thoughts or experience?

Scott,

I would love a Saleen SuperShaker

I'm on multiple Mustang internet sites and because I am I might know of a fellow that has the Saleen Super-Shaker.

He might be interested in selling it if your looking for that specific set-up.
I actually ran that same set-up for many years.
It ran perfect with not one issue.

Just let me know and I will get you two in touch with one another.

Terry

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back